User Avatar Image

Consolidated "Adventure Games We'd Like to See" thread

posted by Marduk on - last edited - Viewed by 758 users

Threads suggesting adventure games we'd like to see TellTale work on are no new thing to the TTG forums but I thought it might be a good idea if we had the one list of titles rather that dozens of threads that have scrolled away. Every few days or so I'll even update the thread with suggestions from those who've replied.

So far they're mostly old Adventure games nostalgic fans would like to see innovated but there are also TV shows, books and movies in there, too.

I might make a poll on this, depending on responses.

I'll begin by CP'ing lists from other such threads' (FYI, I've omitted 'ideas' that TTG should continue various series' they've already began);

[LIST]
[*]Rex the Runt Adventures
[*]Day of the Tentacle
[*]Myst
[*]Indiana Jones
[*]Simon the Sorcerer
[*]The Simpsons
[*]Doctor Who
[*]Gabriel Knight series (I don't know if this is an existing game franchise or a TV series or what).
[*]Pushing Daisies (ig0rpwnwEd; I LOVE YOU!)
[*]Maniac mansion
[*]Grim Fandango
[*]Space Quest
[*]Futurama
[*]Red Dwarf
[*]The Dig
[*]Full Throttle
[*]MacGyver
[*]Family Guy
[*]Doctor Who
[*]King's Quest
[*]Police Quest
[*]Quest For Glory
[*]Loom
[*]Calvin and Hobbes
[*]Star Trek
[*]The Mighty Boosh
[*]Get Smart
[*]'An H.P. Lovecraft based game'
[*]Garfield
[*]Barney Google (Somebody might want to enlighten me, here)
[*]The Boondocks (and here)
[*]Discworld (Yes, yes; oh please god yes!)
[*]Monk
[*]Psych
[*]Laura Bow (and also here)
[*]Simon the Sorceror
[*]A Nuklear Power RPG (?)
[*]Sanford and Son (I've heard of this but never actually seen it)
[*]Leisure Suit Larry
[*]The Neverhood
[*]The Feeble Files
[*]Beneath a steel sky (maybe TTG should just buy Revolution. I can't imagine it'll cost much considering all the cuts they've had to make and it'll be a sure fire way to get a leg in the UK)
[*]Blade Runner
[*]Gateway
[*]Death Gate
[*]Shannara
[*]Blazing Dragons
[*]Digimon (this guy, apparently, was serious)
[*]So Blonde
[*]Kyrandia
[*]Normality
[*]Nightlong
[*]Sanitarium
[*]Stupid Invaders
[*]Ceville
[*]Flight of the Amazon Queen
[*]Still Life
[*]Chewy
[*]The Accolade adventures (I may have got confused, here, the way that MusicallyInspired's post was phrased made me thing it was but I could have been wrong).
[*]Zak McKracken
[*]Gang Garrison (no idea if this is real)
[*]Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman"
[*]Lucifer (Sandman Spinoff)
[*]Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
[*]Dilbert
[/LIST]

120 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Because many of these suggestions are both cool and extremely unlikely, I'll go ahead and throw this one out there:

The Venture Brothers

I imagine it to be similar to the Maniac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle style of gameplay, with the ability to switch between characters. One can always dream.

• Okay, how about this:

The Perils of Penelope Pitstop
    You play as the Ant Hill Mob and occasionally as Penelope Pitstop. Your goal is to keep the fourth wall breaking Hooded Claw from kidnapping and killing Penelope Pitstop. Of course, no real action, as in the series you'd get plenty of time to save her (for some odd reason). It also gives you two inventories, one for the Ant Hill Mob, one for Penelope Pitstop. The action is fast-paced, but you can do each short "puzzle" in your own tempo. The biggest puzzle elements come when the Ant Hill Mob gets into some kind of trouble causing Penelope to save them so that they can save her.

Scooby Doo
    Seriously, do I really need to explain why? Also, why wasn't this on the list yet? Oh, and it of course needs the musical chase scenes in every episode. I miss songs in the recent Telltale Games games.

Dora the Explorer
    Yeah, never mind about that one...

Another Code
    LOLWUT? Yes, a Nintendo exclusive game. Sure it wouldn't be fair towards people who don't have a Nintendo console, but to them I'd say:

wario-ware-smooth-moves-2007012306100307

Disney's Filmore
    Don't shoot me, but I loved the series. And, it's a great way to show that Disney games can still be good. And it already seems that Disney hires cheap developer studios, so why shouldn't they hire Telltale Games for a detective-like game with awesome chase scenes and stuff like that.

Street Fighter
    I actually don't know why the hell I even put this on the list.

A game based in the world of one of my novel projects
    Would be interesting once I finally released my first novel. I mean, it could work. I'd imagine it having five different stories, with the final story being one of the stories described in the first novel.

Telltale Games: The Game
    Work your way up as a developer for Telltale Games? Sounds like a brilliant idea for a video game.

Also, why does Maniac Mansion appear twice in the list? I mean, everybody surely knows that Day of the Tentacle is just another Maniac Mansion game.

Oh, and we should make petitions for each and every suggestion.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@Pale Man said: Actually, if you can get your hands on the FM Towns version of Zak Mckracken, it looks pretty nice.

gfs_94813_2_3.jpg

Looks nice, plays awkwardly. Too many commands to choose from. And it's kinda fiddly to get working on a PC. But your point remains a valid one.

Now to pick apart the newer suggestions...

[LIST]
    [*]The Venture Bros. - While it's certainly an interesting show, I don't think it's popular or flexible enough to be made into a video game series. Then again, I'd say the same about Harvey Birdman, so what do I know?
    [*]The Perils of Penelope Pitstop - I'd say that this was too old a show to really work as a video game series, but then they did make a Wacky Races video game not so long ago. That was a racing game though, which lends credence to the theory that an adventure game wouldn't really benefit the characters.
    [*]Scooby Doo - No. Just... no. We already have one crime-fighting team, why would we want another, far more annoying one?
    [*]Another Code - It's a nice idea, but I doubt the series would do particularly well as an episodic series. Plus, the games seem to really emphasize the interactivity of the systems they're on, which I think would be pretty hard to replicate on the PC.
    [*](Disney's) Filmore! - It last aired in 2004, so I think it's had its day, really. It's a nice idea, but I have my doubts as to how long you could get away with kid-versions of real-life crimes. Who wants to investigate stolen scooters or illegal frog racers?
    [*]DuckTales - This has very much had its day. Plus, it's a Disney trademark, and I highly doubt they'd let anyone else make games on it.
    [*]Toonstruck - Yes please! There was actually supposed to be a sequel, but sadly the first didn't sell well enough to warrant the making of one. Be nice to see it made some day...
    [*]Psychonauts - It's a self-contained story, and even if a sequel were to be made, not only would it be another action-adventure, but I strongly suspect that Double Fine, or more specifically Tim Schafer, would be the ones to make it.
    [*]Quantum Leap - Again, the show's had it's day. Besides, it finished. Properly. With a finale and everything. Why would you want to undo that?
    [*]Peasant's Quest - You tryin' to be funny, boy?
    [/List]

• Okay, how about:

South Park
    After whoring out the series with racing games, first person shooters, pachinko-like games and tower defense games, a point & click game would not look that odd.

HomestarRunner.com
    Yeah, that would-wait, never mind...

Doctor Who
    Just making you write again about Doctor Who.

Johnny Bravo
    Yeah, we still need to make a petition for it.

Captain EO
    ... is what I WOULD say if Michael Jackson was still alive.

MS-DOS
    What do you mean, point & click? Back in the old days, we typed our verbs!

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Ok.
    [List]
    [*]South Park - I could see this working. Won't happen, but I could definitely see it working.
    [*]HomestarRunner.com - No! Terrible idea! That'd never work! Well... not unless you focused on one of the other characters. Like, I dunno, the Cheat? No, that'd get old. Uh...
    [*]Doctor Who - I've said before and I'll (probably) say it again: I think this would work exceptionally well. You can't really do any other kind of game with the character - he's not a gun-toting action hero, so most types of games are out, and he does normally talk his way out of situations, which adventure games are well known for... Plus, if it were done episodically, then there'd be a chance of using different Doctors in each episode. That'd just be awesome. And I'm almost positive that the remaining Doctors (Tom Baker and Christopher Eccleston excepted) would be more then happy to provide voices, not to mention the companions. Why hasn't this been done already, dammit? Do you need me to write up the design specs? 'cause I will. Seriously. I'll go off and do it. Just watch me.
    [*]Johnny Bravo - Ha, I remember him. While an adventure game would probably work, chances are it'd end up being like Leisure Suit Larry, and I think most people are sick of that type of game. Besides, Dexter's Laboratory would be way better.
    [*]Captain Eo - I think they're actually still working on a Michael Jackson game. It's no secret they were working on one before he died, so I'd imagine they'd keep working on it, if only to help alleviate the massive debt he built up during his life (though renewed sales of his albums are doing a lot to help that).
    [*]MS-DOS - DOS sucks. Old games suck. Old DOS games where you had to type out your verbs sucks three times as hard.
    [/List]

• @Darth Marsden said: Ok.
    [List]
    [*]South Park - I could see this working. Won't happen, but I could definitely see it working.
    [*]HomestarRunner.com - No! Terrible idea! That'd never work! Well... not unless you focused on one of the other characters. Like, I dunno, the Cheat? No, that'd get old. Uh...
    [*]Doctor Who - I've said before and I'll (probably) say it again: I think this would work exceptionally well. You can't really do any other kind of game with the character - he's not a gun-toting action hero, so most types of games are out, and he does normally talk his way out of situations, which adventure games are well known for... Plus, if it were done episodically, then there'd be a chance of using different Doctors in each episode. That'd just be awesome. And I'm almost positive that the remaining Doctors (Tom Baker and Christopher Eccleston excepted) would be more then happy to provide voices, not to mention the companions. Why hasn't this been done already, dammit? Do you need me to write up the design specs? 'cause I will. Seriously. I'll go off and do it. Just watch me.
    [*]Johnny Bravo - Ha, I remember him. While an adventure game would probably work, chances are it'd end up being like Leisure Suit Larry, and I think most people are sick of that type of game. Besides, Dexter's Laboratory would be way better.
    [*]Captain Eo - I think they're actually still working on a Michael Jackson game. It's no secret they were working on one before he died, so I'd imagine they'd keep working on it, if only to help alleviate the massive debt he built up during his life (though renewed sales of his albums are doing a lot to help that).
    [*]MS-DOS - DOS sucks. Old games suck. Old DOS games where you had to type out your verbs sucks three times as hard.
    [/List]

Do Doctor Who.
    The idea of being able to use the sonic screwdriver in different ways, as well as you would need an item combination would make instant win!

• Yeah, only, the general rule is that the sonic screwdriver is never used as a way to get him out of trouble. Ironically. Even though he always has his sonic screwdriver.

Oh, and:

Dexter's Laboratory
    Because you said so.

High... School... Musical
    Because I say so, and because I know you'll puke your eyes and ears out.

Docto-*SHOT*
    Telltale, by now you should get the message. Get the license for Doctor Who. NAO.

WALL-E
    Okay, I know people didn't really appreciate his voice and all, but hear me out... You know what, never mind. WALL-E's awesome. Making a game around his period of solitude or his period of happiness would be awesome. Imagine him trying to help the humans build up a civilization, by doing the trivial tasks, like finding a way to irrigate water, or to power a small settlement using the Axiom. Maybe even a climactic episode where he needs to clear the way for a landing platform of yet another space station coming back to Earth.

Soulja Boy Tell'Em
    Because everybody loves that prick.

Cooking with Telltale Games
    Okay, how about this? An interactive cooking program, where you decide the tempo of the game. You'll actually make real recipes. Good idea? No. Idea? Yeah, but not a very good one.

• I keep on hearing about Telltale and Doctor Who. I have no idea what Doctor Who is. :/

• @PariahKing said: I keep on hearing about Telltale and Doctor Who. I have no idea what Doctor Who is. :/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who
    Read!

• Doctor Who is, like, THE SciFi series everyone should have at least heard of, with stunning, high-resolution, 3D landscapes, sophisticated score and musical effects, detailed animation and special effects, elegant point 'n' click control of characters, objects and magic spells, and no burdensome typing, mapping, or inventory management. An easy and engaging game for beginners and veterans alike.

Wait, I think I did something wrong here...

Add Comment