User Avatar Image

The game designer for a day winners leave much to be desired

posted by Mad Mage on - last edited - Viewed by 639 users

Okay, you guys know the game designer for a day contest telltale is running?

http://www.telltalegames.com/monkeyisland/contest

What do you think of the jokes that have won so far? Now I've gathered that the point of this contest is to get people to blog/twitter about Tales of Monkey Island. Which is fine. But it does mean that those who get the most friends to go to the site and vote will win, rather than having the jokes picked on their own merit.

Think I'm wrong? let's look at some of the winners. As a reminder, these are wrongings people will say Guybrush has committed.

I've a very thin friend, and every time that Guybrush meets him he tells "Murray?"

He insulfeated me in a major sword fight by claiming that my fighting skills were equivalent to George Bushes language skills.

Look into me eye. Do ye see me eye? Aye? Do ye? Well, I used to have TWO!

Despite humor being subjective, these range from not funny to both stupid and not funny. I'd be embarrassed to release a game with humor like this. Yes, all the Monkey Island games have had at least a few bad jokes, but I really don't think these particular jokes should be included in Tales.

What's even sadder is that some people made some really clever submissions that didn't win (mine wasn't special though; that's not what I'm getting at).

What do you guys think?

165 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think the leaderboards in the contest were a total joke and would have much preferred Telltale just pick 5 of their favorite each week and let us vote on them the following week or something like that.

• Having actually won with "He sold me these not-so-fine leather jackets" only because i was the first of oh, so many to make that joke, I was a bit surprised at the quality. There were many of hillarious ones that were passed over. I did not win by vote but was on there by the telltale pick. I wonder if there could've been some sort of top five and then vote, as said by the previous poster. However, I won't complain, as I'm quite excited about hopefully seeing my joke in the game!

• Yes, you'll note I didn't quote the jacket joke for a reason. While it is a bit cliche, there's nothing wrong with it, and it's appropriate to the situation described.

• Also, what the hell does "insulfeated" mean?

• Yeah, I think this was a tough competition to do mainly because of the variety of things you could think of. What puzzled me the most is people putting things that happened to specific characters in the past. It's not like these characters have been confirmed to be back in this series, or if they'll even say the line of dialogue. Otherwise it'd be strange to hear about the same incident twice. I tried to make mine the funniest and sensible possible but failed on most of em'. If the jokes that we got aren't too good, I think I'd rather have the minds at Telltale contemplate em' for a guaranteed laugh. Luckily, the ones Telltale picked aren't so bad so I can't complain.

• As long as we are on the subject, can someone explain this one to me?

I've a very thin friend, and every time that Guybrush meets him he tells "Murray?"

Now I know Murray is the talking skull seen in MI3 and 4. But why would Guybrush mistake a "thin person" for a skull? is it because skeleton's are thin? Am I forgetting something from MI4 that would make this joke make sense? Did the submitter mean to say "says" instead of "tells"? So many questions. Assuming I am not crazy, and this joke is the dumbest thing ever, can anyone explain how it got voted to winner status?

• Someone's submission said something along the lines of "He buckled my swash... improperly!"

I think that not only was it funny, but it's the kind of joke I could totally see in a Monkey Island game.

• @Mad Mage said: As long as we are on the subject, can someone explain this one to me?

Now I know Murray is the talking skull seen in MI3 and 4. But why would Guybrush mistake a "thin person" for a skull? is it because skeleton's are thin? Am I forgetting something from MI4 that would make this joke make sense? Did the submitter mean to say "says" instead of "tells"? So many questions. Assuming I am not crazy, and this joke is the dumbest thing ever, can anyone explain how it got voted to winner status?

Probably by cheating.

• Mad Mage I think tells is an old way saying says. I understand the joke but I don' think it makes sense either. I liked that one as well Mandingo, it was short and sweet and funny in its own way.

• Yes, based on the guidelines given, it sounds as if these will be things random characters shout out, condemning Guybrush. Thus, short, catchy one-liners are probably all that is suitable.

I shudder to think that one such line will be a long build up, only to end in a half-assed Bush joke. And not a clever Bush Joke at that. Not to mention Bush jokes are now dated, and really inappropriate for a swashbuckling adventure.

Add Comment