User Avatar Image

The game designer for a day winners leave much to be desired

posted by Mad Mage on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

Okay, you guys know the game designer for a day contest telltale is running?

http://www.telltalegames.com/monkeyisland/contest

What do you think of the jokes that have won so far? Now I've gathered that the point of this contest is to get people to blog/twitter about Tales of Monkey Island. Which is fine. But it does mean that those who get the most friends to go to the site and vote will win, rather than having the jokes picked on their own merit.

Think I'm wrong? let's look at some of the winners. As a reminder, these are wrongings people will say Guybrush has committed.

I've a very thin friend, and every time that Guybrush meets him he tells "Murray?"

He insulfeated me in a major sword fight by claiming that my fighting skills were equivalent to George Bushes language skills.

Look into me eye. Do ye see me eye? Aye? Do ye? Well, I used to have TWO!

Despite humor being subjective, these range from not funny to both stupid and not funny. I'd be embarrassed to release a game with humor like this. Yes, all the Monkey Island games have had at least a few bad jokes, but I really don't think these particular jokes should be included in Tales.

What's even sadder is that some people made some really clever submissions that didn't win (mine wasn't special though; that's not what I'm getting at).

What do you guys think?

165 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @TheMandingo said: Someone's submission said something along the lines of "He buckled my swash... improperly!"

I think that not only was it funny, but it's the kind of joke I could totally see in a Monkey Island game.

Thanks! :) I think that one was mine, and going from memory I think it was

'He buckled my swash... incorrectly!'

But, yeah, close enough.

• @Mad Mage said: Okay, you guys know the game designer for a day contest telltale is running?

http://www.telltalegames.com/monkeyisland/contest

What do you think of the jokes that have won so far? Now I've gathered that the point of this contest is to get people to blog/twitter about Tales of Monkey Island. Which is fine. But it does mean that those who get the most friends to go to the site and vote will win, rather than having the jokes picked on their own merit.

Think I'm wrong? let's look at some of the winners. As a reminder, these are wrongings people will say Guybrush has committed.

I've a very thin friend, and every time that Guybrush meets him he tells "Murray?"

He insulfeated me in a major sword fight by claiming that my fighting skills were equivalent to George Bushes language skills.

Look into me eye. Do ye see me eye? Aye? Do ye? Well, I used to have TWO!

Despite humor being subjective, these range from not funny to both stupid and not funny. I'd be embarrassed to release a game with humor like this. Yes, all the Monkey Island games have had at least a few bad jokes, but I really don't think these particular jokes should be included in Tales.

What's even sadder is that some people made some really clever submissions that didn't win (mine wasn't special though; that's not what I'm getting at).

What do you guys think?

Aren't they doing that in a way? I thought the second lines of each week, the ones with the TTG where picked by the company's staff.

The Bush one is horrible, sorry to whoever wrote it.

• @Eduardo said: Aren't they doing that in a way? I thought the second lines of each week, the ones with the TTG where picked by the company's staff.

The Bush one is horrible, sorry to whoever wrote it.

Yeah it's utterly awful, and I wish Telltale would just drop it from the competition entirely.

• You're right, Eduardo. It does look like Telltale is picking the 2nd one each week. Heh, my third example of the 'bad ones' is actually one Telltale picked.

• I would have liked a rating sistem when you can rate every joke from 5 to 1.
    Some of the top jokes don't work at all. A George Bush joke might work in Sam&Max or something set in modern times, but for a pirate game it's pretty lame. Even my joke (Something like "He keelhauled my fine washables.") made more sence than that.

• Telltale will post Submitted Material from certain Contest entrants on its website, telltalegames.com. From all Contest entries, Telltale reserves the right to select only a limited number of entries that may be posted to the website or to select no entries. One winner will be selected from among the entries submitted that week based on the highest number of votes received. Telltale may advise prospective voters of criteria upon which selection will be based. Additionally, Telltale reserves the right to select a different weekly finalist or no weekly finalist at all from among the entrants to the Contest that week if Telltale determines that such finalist's Submitted Material does not meet Telltale's quality and creative standards for written material in its games, as determined in its sole discretion

Just saying.

• Dude, Telltale: USE THAT RESERVED RIGHT.

...please?

• Oh, well I can sleep safely then.

• They would have been insane not to include such a caveat in the rules...

But the thing remains that it seems a shame that the contest was set up this way in the first place - the obvious ulterior goal of generating publicity for the game by making it a popularity contest is distinctly at odds with the prize of ending up with something worth putting into the game.

• On the other hand, we can assume the line will be said by a random secondary character and not any of the main cast. So even if the winner is not the funniest line ever, I doubt it will damage the overall quality of the game.

Add Comment