User Avatar Image

So, is basically TOMI for PC an oversized WII port?

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

So given that on PC:
1) we have few polygons
2) we have midi music
3) we have meshes used multiple times (like characters)

can we say that TOMI on pc is pratically a WII game porting with less compressed texture and audio?

The strange thing is that both versions are not the best on their platform!
On WII there is stuttering and too much sound compression ("Guybruzzzz" :P);
On PC we have multiple-used-meshes and MIDI sound (and they even hired M.Land! I's like to hire Van Gogh and make him paint with a pen!)

It seems that they developed the TOMI in a way that's too much heavy for the WII and tecnically too old for the PC.

I think that TT must cease suppor for WII. It was ok for Sam&Max season 1 but it was 2006! 3 years for a PC is a lot! Now a pc is much more powerful than a WII, and people don't like a 3 years old graphics/sound/feeling. That's why Wallace&Gromit was tecnically a very nice series.

So, to me, develop TOMI for WII is a very bad choice. Do you imagine Hideo Kojima announcing his next project for PS3 and Game boy Advanced and saying "it will be techincally the same version"?
And, at last, I bet that TOMI will be out also for xbox360! So why they don't put it out for PC and XBOX and made an edited porting for wii later???

BTW, TOMI is still a very good product! The script and the "feeling" of the game are great! And, after all, that's important ;)

56 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • ToMI is a TellTale Game.

ToMI on the WII is a severely shrunk down and compressed version of the PC version.
    That's it.

ToMI is "too old" for PC? Why? It looks fine to me, and some people still can't run it. Not everyone upgrades their pc often and it's almost scary to know what kinds of pc's people still use. And these people could very well be Monkey Island fans.

So, game looks good for all of us and is runnable for a very large userbase.

• Please... Stop posting stuff like this...
    If you don't like ToMI don't Buy it and stopp bothering anyone else with stuff like this.
    I love the game and I think both visual and audio fits perfectly well.

• @Bloody Eugene said: So given that on PC:
    1) we have few polygons
    2) we have midi music
    3) we have meshes used multiple times (like characters)

can we say that TOMI on pc is pratically a WII game porting with less compressed texture and audio?

The strange thing is that both versions are not the best on their platform!
    On WII there is stuttering and too much sound compression ("Guybruzzzz" :P);
    On PC we have multiple-used-meshes and MIDI sound (and they even hired M.Land! I's like to hire Van Gogh and make him paint with a pen!)

It seems that they developed the TOMI in a way that's too much heavy for the WII and tecnically too old for the PC.

I think that TT must cease suppor for WII. It was ok for Sam&Max season 1 but it was 2006! 3 years for a PC is a lot! Now a pc is much more powerful than a WII, and people don't like a 3 years old graphics/sound/feeling. That's why Wallace&Gromit was tecnically a very nice series.

So, to me, develop TOMI for WII is a very bad choice. Do you imagine Hideo Kojima announcing his next project for PS3 and Game boy Advanced and saying "it will be techincally the same version"?
    And, at last, I bet that TOMI will be out also for xbox360! So why they don't put it out for PC and XBOX and made an edited porting for wii later???

BTW, TOMI is still a very good product! The script and the "feeling" of the game are great! And, after all, that's important ;)

thats the biggest jabroni post ive ever seen

• @hamzie said: thats the second biggest jabroni post ive ever seen

Fixed. :)

• @Bloody Eugene said: Do you imagine Hideo Kojima announcing his next project for PS3 and Game boy Advanced and saying "it will be techincally the same version"?

Yes. And people would still buy it.

@Bloody Eugene said:
    2) we have midi music

A Monkey Island without Midiesque Music is wrong. The Music in CMI was great but Monkey Island is midi-sound to me.
    Besides: The Music in ToMI is NOT midi on the PC.

@Bloody Eugene said:

I would say the picture would still be awesome.

@Bloody Eugene said: That's why Wallace&Gromit was tecnically a very nice series.

Wallace & Grommit basically uses the same engine as Sam & Max or ToMI. What ARE you babbeling about?

@Bloody Eugene said: I think that TT must cease suppor for WII.

Wii-owners might think the opposite. Why still supprt the PC? The Wii is made for Adventures.

• @Bloody Eugene said:
    Do you imagine Hideo Kojima announcing his next project for PS3 and Game boy Advanced and saying "it will be techincally the same version"?

I feel like someon HAS done that before.

• @Gman5852 said: I feel like someon HAS done that before.

The Simpsons Game was released for a lot of platforms, of which I bought the PS2 and DS versions. They were very similar, the only major difference being 2D for DS and 3D for PS2. Both brilliant and similar yet different due to the limitations of each platform.

I feel if Telltale are going to make both versions great, they should develop the graphics, sound, etc. separately for the PC/XBox 360 and the Wii. Then people will actually welcome a sequel, thus sufficing the extra effort.

• I've played the PC version and have enjoyed the graphics immensely - I think Telltale have struck a good balance.

• @der_ketzer said: A Monkey Island without Midiesque Music is wrong. The Music in CMI was great but Monkey Island is midi-sound to me.
    Besides: The Music in ToMI is NOT midi on the PC.

The first Monkey Island game's CD soundtrack was by far the best version of the soundtrack, and the music in TMI is midi, it's just midi recorded into an ogg file.

• @Bloody Eugene said: and they even hired M.Land! I's like to hire Van Gogh and make him paint with a pen!

Not exactly. Michael Land is MIDI god!
    Just listen to the fantastic MI2 soundtrack for example: http://www.tentakelvilla.de/download/soundtracks/mi2-soundtrack.zip
    I agree though that not using real instruments is unused potential which would have made the soundtrack even better.

Add Comment