User Avatar Image

All info about the Treasure Hunt ***Spoiler***

posted by Shish keJoe on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

I've seen a fair number of posts about the Treasure hunt aspect of the Tales of Monkey Island game, in an attempt to anwser most of them i've made this post.

NOTICE: This contains a fair amount of spoilers, so to the people who wanna figure it all out over the natural course of time >>> STOP READING NOW <<<

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED IN ADVANCE!!! (I'll be using no further Spoiler Tags)

Ok, at the date of the Original Post of this topic July 28, 2009 there are only 2 map that can (officially be found) i say officially cause actually there are 6 Totems you can unlock on the Treasure Hunt website after you use the correct codes on the totem puzzle.

I'm not going to give you the Correct Combinations to unlock thoose 4 extra Totems, what i will do is tell you what thoose totems offer you as rewards.

1) SHUTTLEMOC: Gives you the Voodoo Lady Wallpapers
2) ESK'RGOH: Gives you Avatars
3) THINKIKAN: Gives you the same Avatars as Esk'rgoh (for some reason)
4) DSHRAHG: Gives you a $5 coupon code you can use on an order that costs at least $8.95 in the store
5) VRUM: Gives you a 50% reduction code you can use when you buy a single episode from the store
6) OWCHEE: Gives you a 50% reduction code you can use when you buy an entire Season from the store (not to be used on Tales of Monkey Island itself)
7) IKKPTOO: Gives you the Same reward (50% discout on a full season) as Owchee. This Treasure map was officially released with the Telltale Interloper e-mail Newsletter.
8) HAIGHNO: Gives you access to the "Caribbean Journal" a *.PDF file full of Concept Art. (Adobe Reader needed to open the *.PDF file)

These 6 totems can be unlocked 2 by doing the subsequent maps in game (thoose give you Shuttlemoc & Esk'rgoh, the other 4 can be won through various combinations on the totem puzzle.

Solving the Totem Puzzle:
Every tier of the Puzzle has got 4 different parts so thats a nice amount of possible combo's you can try out. The best way for getting them all is assigning numbers to each and solve em all in sequence like:

Top: 1
Middle: 1
Bottom: 1

Then Do:

Top: 1
Middle: 1
Bottom: 2

And so forth till you get it all down to 4.
Soon you'll have done all combo's and you can start using your Rewards.

I hope this solved some questions!!!

-------------------------
Edit Log

08/04/2009: Added IKKPTOO Information (Thanks to ponk)
08/07/2009: Added HAIGHNO Information (Thanks to sanguinehearts)
08/13/2009: Added HAIGHNO Reward Information (Thanks to mrschaatsbergen through "Private Message")

38 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I did a similar 'combination-lock' thing to go through all possible options, using a list where A B C D were the eyes, 1 2 3 4 the noses, and Circle Square Triangle X were the mouths (what can I say, I'm a Sony console gamer at heart :D)

Through this method I got 15 'correct' combinations, and ended up with 6 maps unlocked on the website. I did do the two original maps in-game (SHUTTLEMOC and ESK'RGOH) but also ended up with another (IKKPTOO) because I subscribe to the Telltale 'Interloper' newsletter thing.

All up, here's the maps I have and their prizes:
    SHUTTLEMOC - Wallpaper, ESK'RGOH unlocked
    ESK'RGOH - Monkey Island Avatar set
    THINKIKAN - Monkey Island Avater set (same as above)
    DSHRAHG - Coupon code, $5 off orders of $8.95 or more
    VRUM - Coupon code, 50% off a single episode purchase
    OWCHEE - Coupon code, 50% off a full-season purchase, excluding Monkey Island
    IKKPTOO - Coupon code, 50% off a full-season purchase, excluding Monkey Island (same as above)

So, obviously the rewards and randomised, at least not for the current ones. My treasure hunt page is still left with one blank square though, which is odd.

Anyone else seen other stuff yet?

• I've had the same stuff. I was a bit miffed at first, as originally, it seemed to have 11 boxes, which rapidly got shortened down to 7 and one blank one.

And the double prizes were a little perplexing too.

Although, I really hope this continues throughout the full season of TOMI, when Sam and Max 3 rolls round, I should be paying less than half price!!

• Although I like the coupons I'd prefer they integrate stuff like this in the game. I'd rather unlock ingame costumes, joke items, maybe paint jobs for your ingame ship etc...

Also since it would never give me the 3rd map I resorted to trying all the combinations. Now I have no incentive to use the actual maps in game. Which would of been more enjoyable then spinning the totem pole over and over. I know my fault. No one to blame , but myself. But I could not resist. There must be some kind of Monkey island voodoo spell involved

• @Banned User said: Which would of been more enjoyable then spinning the totem pole over and over. I know my fault. No one to blame , but myself. But I could not resist. There must be some kind of Monkey island voodoo spell involved

I think it's pretty inevitable for anyone playing this game.. I mean seriously, point-and-click-adventure gamers here, guys! It's in our nature to try every combination when presented with a puzzle! After all, that's how you play these games half the time: "What if I use Item A on the puzzle? No, OK, how about Item B? Item C?" and so on and so on.

Telltale had to suspect some of us, a good chunk, would try it this way, haha.

• @ponk said: "What if I use Item A on the puzzle? No, OK, how about Item B? Item C?"

"Like oil and water"

- GAHHHH!!

• @ponk said: So, obviously the rewards and randomised, at least not for the current ones. My treasure hunt page is still left with one blank square though, which is odd.

I don't know if you meant "are" or "are not" randomized, but just FYI they are not randomized. I got the same exact rewards as those reported here by some of you guys. And I do have the final blank square there too.

• I only have three codes the first two then the one unlocked through the newsletter.. since most people have already unlocked the prizes are they still going to put up all the new maps?

• This is all informative and nice and all, and I'm thankful for it really, but anybody mention the descriptions of each of the tiki idols? I mean, that's part of the reason I went out of my way to get some even if I had already earned the reward from a previous idol.

Just in case, I'm going to list them here and if it's troublesome I'm sure someone can delete my post or I can edit it out.

SHUTTLEMOC: God of the Breeze that Ruins Badminton Matches
    ESK'RGOH: God of the Winds that Creep Like a Snail
    THINKIKAN: The Little Wind God that Could
    DSHRAHG: Goddess of Zesty Lemony Zephyrs
    VRUM: God of Breezes that Tickle your Nosehairs
    OWCHEE: Goddess of Winds that Blow Small Pebbles into your Face
    IKKPTOO: God of Curiously Viscous Winds

• I'll try to keep this post as updated as i can... Just added information to the Original Post about the "Ikkptoo" map.

• I just unlocked ' Haighno - God of Winds that Blow Up Skirts that Really Should Stay Down ' using the totem but there is no prize on the page.

Add Comment