User Avatar Image

So, is basically TOMI for PC an oversized WII port?

posted by Bloody Eugene on - last edited - Viewed by 998 users

So given that on PC:
1) we have few polygons
2) we have midi music
3) we have meshes used multiple times (like characters)

can we say that TOMI on pc is pratically a WII game porting with less compressed texture and audio?

The strange thing is that both versions are not the best on their platform!
On WII there is stuttering and too much sound compression ("Guybruzzzz" :P);
On PC we have multiple-used-meshes and MIDI sound (and they even hired M.Land! I's like to hire Van Gogh and make him paint with a pen!)

It seems that they developed the TOMI in a way that's too much heavy for the WII and tecnically too old for the PC.

I think that TT must cease suppor for WII. It was ok for Sam&Max season 1 but it was 2006! 3 years for a PC is a lot! Now a pc is much more powerful than a WII, and people don't like a 3 years old graphics/sound/feeling. That's why Wallace&Gromit was tecnically a very nice series.

So, to me, develop TOMI for WII is a very bad choice. Do you imagine Hideo Kojima announcing his next project for PS3 and Game boy Advanced and saying "it will be techincally the same version"?
And, at last, I bet that TOMI will be out also for xbox360! So why they don't put it out for PC and XBOX and made an edited porting for wii later???

BTW, TOMI is still a very good product! The script and the "feeling" of the game are great! And, after all, that's important ;)

56 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Well it's too late now. What would they do? Overhaul the graphics for season 2? That would just look wierd.

• So, is basically TOMI for PC an oversized WII port?

Nope.

A simple answer to a simple question.

• @der_ketzer said:
    Wallace & Grommit basically uses the same engine as Sam & Max or ToMI. What ARE you babbeling about?

I'm not saying I agree with the original poster, but that's a bad point.
    The engine is flexible and W&G are better looking games.

However - thought I don't fully agree with original poster, I think we all have to admit that this game being designed with the Wii in mind has caused the PC version to suffer a bit.

• @Bloody Eugene said: can we say that TOMI on pc is pratically a WII game porting with less compressed texture and audio?

I wish! Then it might actually run on my computer.

• @Armakuni said: I think we all have to admit that this game being designed with the Wii in mind has caused the PC version to suffer a bit.

I really think it looks great. What if the game was released on XBLA first but looked the same. We cannot know if it would bt I am sure it would.

• Ok boys, i take your point.

Now, to create something constructive, i came with this ideas:
    first idea is for duplicate characters.
    The problem is that, as someone stated, TOMI is created with wii limitation in mind. So they reused the same mesh for different characters in order to save memory - at least is what they say. So, Nipperkin, D'Oro and Van Winslow shares the same meshes.
    Now, imagine a scene like the Scumm bar in MI1. Many different pirates, but if it was created in TOMI each one would have been similar to the others. Imagine six Nipperkin one with beard, one with glasses, and different shirt.
    Because only a beard will not hide the real character (u recognize Tom Cruise even if he grows his beard, or put mustaches), it would have been a disaster graphically.
    Now i got an idea: why don't make a "sims-like" tool to customize caracters?
    So, you take the initial Nipperkin model and "tweak" it to have different shapes so you can create infinite models with few changes!!!!
    Like this :
    nipperkin.jpg

Isn't it great??? The game has only to remember some little different values for different model shapes. And you can have taller or smalle charachters, fat or thin... as you want!!!

The other idea is about MIDI music.
    Because MIDI music has to be created for wii limitations (again...), TOMI on PC has the same midi music (done with better dxti/vsti plug-ins but always MIDI).
    Now i think this developement process:
    1) create and project midi for wii. And wii now is ok and ready.
    2) once is done u can make it on pc with better dxti/vsti plug-ins
    3) Sobstitute critical MIDI instruments for critical sound moments with real live instruments.

For example, the opening music of TOMI is clearly MIDI. But no one could have noticied it if u recorded the flute live. ONLY the flute i mean (or even the percussions). And you don't have to record the whole thing. You have to record only the passages that are necessary. For example, the initial part on the ship is good with MIDI because there's rain, thunders and many sound and you won't recognize it's MIDI; instead in the jungle there's silent and you have mainly only music to listen, so it would have been better to use some real instrument.

These are my two cents.

• @Bloody Eugene said:
    On PC we have multiple-used-meshes and MIDI sound (and they even hired M.Land! I's like to hire Van Gogh and make him paint with a pen!)

If I were Mr. Land, I would take offense at being compared to Van Gogh. Besides, having two ears is probably an important part of composing music, which is completely different from painting in almost every respect.

• My only fear is that they may have to comprimise with the length/number of areas and the like with because of the limitations. The graphics were fine, and yes - live music would have ben BRILLIANT, but it's still GREAT. I'd hate to see TellTale be forced to cut back on a game like Monkey Island.
    Then again, I've always been the negative one.

• You guys do know that the vast majority of music in every game ever is actually midi? Including CMI. In fact some of the samples he used in SOMI:SE were terrible (namely the accordion in the SCUMM Bar music).

And games stopped processing midi in the early 90's, so it's studio midi as audio.

• So, is basically TOMI for PC an oversized WII port?

Basically, yo mama is an oversized Wii port! Oh, burn!

Add Comment