User Avatar Image

Monkey Island ripped off Pirates of the Caribbean!

posted by Thriftweed Fancy Pants on - last edited - Viewed by 1.8K users

Just kidding...:p

I've read here and there on this forum that Pirates of the Caribbean ripped off Monkey Island, but I have yet to hear the whole story on this.

Anybody know?

(Actually, I think I read somewhere that Ron Gilbert was inspired by Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean ride, so maybe Monkey Island wasn't the original...?)

53 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • PoTC was obviously influenced heavily by Monkey Island. The correlations are everywhere, but one of the most flagrant ones is the skeleton ghost pirates. I mean c'mon. That's not from the ride.

• I have no idea. I would like to think MI inspired PotC in an offbeat kinda way, since i didn't really like PotC and the characters weren't that similar.
    Also because MI is absolutely freaking brilliant.

• Just for the record, the Pirates of the Carribean ride has no ties to the movies what-so-ever (although I have heard they recently added a Jack Sparrow). It's simply a water ride were you sit in a little boat on rails and go around a little pirate cove, there's lots of animatronic pirates, big ships and piratey music playing and that's about it.

It's a fun ride, and it apparantly was in the inspiration for making a game based on pirates, but there's no way you could claim Monkey Island ripped that off. :P

• @Thiftweed Fancy Pants said: The Kraken?

Speaking of the Kraken, anyone else wondering if that may make an appearance in Tales?

• If it did made an appearance, it would look like MI is stealing ideas from PotC.

• @WinterSnowblind said: Just for the record, the Pirates of the Carribean ride has no ties to the movies what-so-ever (although I have heard they recently added a Jack Sparrow). It's simply a water ride were you sit in a little boat on rails and go around a little pirate cove, there's lots of animatronic pirates, big ships and piratey music playing and that's about it.

It's a fun ride, and it apparantly was in the inspiration for making a game based on pirates, but there's no way you could claim Monkey Island ripped that off. :P

that is way extreme. monkey island clearly borrows heavily from PoTC the ride. the whole style and mood, not to mention explicit scenes, and the entire concept of a boy in a theme park world coming to life. the whole style and brand of pirate culture isn't even based on history nearly as much as it is directly based off of treasure island (and PoTC)

And your assertion that PoTC is no way connected to the movies is just absurd. Nearly every scene from the ride can be found in the movies.

• @Thiftweed Fancy Pants said: If it did made an appearance, it would look like MI is stealing ideas from PotC.

Well I really wouldn't care. The Kraken would be awesome in the game if done right. I wouldn't want an opportunity like that to be passed up just because it was in a pirates of the Caribbean movie, which was taken for granted and just thrown out of the third movie as just a rotting corpse. POTC have over a dozen Monkey Island moments, so the game having just one similar aspect, one that it a part of pirate lore anyway, would not be bad.

Cp3, lair of the leviathan seems to be where the story stems into darker territory and the title may be a reference to the Kraken. I'm just judging that based on the title, the title is much darker and creepier sounding than the first two. It taking place in a lair where something like the Kraken is lurking at any possible corner would be creepy and have that same feeling as the end of Monkey Island 2 with LeChuck lurking, never knowing where or when he was and when he was going to appear. It most likely is the sea sponge, but that isn't nearly as creepy as a gigantic sea monster.

• I rode the POTC ride and I must tell you: neither MI or POTC are based on the ride. Ron Gilbert only got the idea of a pirates game while he was riding it and the ride has no cursed skeleton pirates (or zombies), no voodoo elements, no voodoo lady, etc... Imho Will is Guybrush in SMI and Jack Sparrow is Guybrush in MI2 (look at the script only, obviously Jonnhy Depp gave the character quite a twist, but if you analyze the script you'll see what I mean). One of the writers of POTC (I think it was Ted Elliot, not sure right now) was asked by Steven Spielberg to write a MI script. He finished it, but then Industrial Light and Magic cancelled the project. A few months later he submits a script to Disney called POTC. So POTC is a MI ripoff admit it or not.

• As others have said, On Stranger Tides inspired Ron Gilbert to create Monkey Island 1 and 2 and the PotC ride influenced the general "feel," but the screenwriters of the PotC movie weren't inspired by Monkey Island.

Man, I hope Gilbert tells us his original plan for MI3 someday. I loved where it was going at the end of 2.

• @Lennie Melvin said: Not sure how much this supports the theory but it's a good watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_unbVaCe8a4

Glad you liked it. I'm thinking of making a longer version with even more comparisons now that SoMI has been released with voices.
    This video is the rough-cut of the trailer when I had just compiled the scenes but hadn't synced it to the EFMI audio. It features a lot of very monkey island-like moments that I wasn't able to fit in the final video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCjiSyrFlp0

Add Comment