User Avatar Image

Monkey Island ripped off Pirates of the Caribbean!

posted by Thriftweed Fancy Pants on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

Just kidding...:p

I've read here and there on this forum that Pirates of the Caribbean ripped off Monkey Island, but I have yet to hear the whole story on this.

Anybody know?

(Actually, I think I read somewhere that Ron Gilbert was inspired by Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean ride, so maybe Monkey Island wasn't the original...?)

53 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • MI isn't based on anything. The PoTC ride, Treasure Island, On Stranger Tides, these are all just inspirations for the original pirate comedy adventure game we all love so much.

• @Dan2593 said: POTC borrowed parts from Monkey Island since it was based on the same thing. 1 and 2 are the most similar. POTC3 is the worse because it's the most original.

There are tons of MI similarities in POTC3. What was Shipwreck Cove if not Woodtick by another name? There's a background gag involving a mast breaking off. The relationship between Beckett and Davy Jones was also quite similar to that of Ozzie Mandrill and LeChuck in EMI.

• @Udvarnoky said: There are tons of MI similarities in POTC3. What was Shipwreck Cove if not Woodtick by another name? There's a background gag involving a mast breaking off. The relationship between Beckett and Davy Jones was also quite similar to that of Ozzie Mandrill and LeChuck in EMI.

Very true. Ozzie was very similar to Beckett, both in control of organizations that wanted to eradicate pirates and monopolize the Caribbean. Both made deals with supernatural beings, the only difference being that LeChuck wanted to helps in the plans until the end. Also the fact that the villains were using the position of governor to aid in their plans.

• I think the most obvious references to Monkey Island (if they are not from another source) are: the dog holding the key of the prision, and the Voodoo Lady living in a swamp.

In my opinion these two things were exclusive from Monkey Island, correct me if you saw them before out of Monkey Island.
    Maybe leaving keys guarded by trained dogs was usual some centuries ago? Dont know.

• @Ignatius said: I think the most obvious references to Monkey Island (if they are not from another source) are: the dog holding the key of the prision, and the Voodoo Lady living in a swamp.

In my opinion these two things were exclusive from Monkey Island, correct me if you saw them before out of Monkey Island.
    Maybe leaving keys guarded by trained dogs was usual some centuries ago? Dont know.

The dog with the key was in the POTC ride way before it was in MI.

• @RockNRoll said: that is way extreme. monkey island clearly borrows heavily from PoTC the ride. the whole style and mood, not to mention explicit scenes, and the entire concept of a boy in a theme park world coming to life. the whole style and brand of pirate culture isn't even based on history nearly as much as it is directly based off of treasure island (and PoTC)

And your assertion that PoTC is no way connected to the movies is just absurd. Nearly every scene from the ride can be found in the movies.

If that's true, then they have massively renovated the ride, since I was last there in 2000 to make it more like the movie, as I can assure you there was no connections to it what-so-ever before the movie was released.

The mood and atmosphere may be similar, yes, but that's a fairly typical pirate thing. Like I said, the ride obviously acted as an inspiration, but it featured no kind of story that could have been "ripped off" from it.

Edit: After checking up on Wikipedia, appranantly they did extensive refurbishments in 2006 to include simalrities to the movies.

• It's just a funny adventure set in a pirate world. It plays on some of the pirate clichés, just as PoTC, but it also has a great story and adorable characters. Does that mean much? Only if you think every fantasy book written in the last 50 years ripped off Tolkin.

P.S. Errol Flynn is the original Guybrush Threepwood.

• I think Ron said it best:

When I am in the early stages of designing, I'll read a lot of books, listen to a lot of music and watch a lot of movies. I'll pick up little ideas here and there. We in the business call it stealing.

Pirates call it plundering. Steal and be stolen from - it's the pirate way!

• @Pale Man said: The dog with the key was in the POTC ride way before it was in MI.

Thanks for pointing that out, i was suspicious about that one. It was really the same thing in both franchises.

Now, for the people that said that neither PoTC or Monkey Island made any reference to the ride, there you go.

What about the Voodoo Lady or Voodoo in general? Is some of that on the ride?

• There's no Voodoo lady at all in the ride, or any kind of voodoo. The POTC movie isn't based on the ride, but it is heavily inspired from it. Pretty much every aspect from the ride was worked into the movie. They came up with a plot and characters that were unique to the movie, but many of the scenes, as well as dialogue, were taken almost directly from the ride.

Here are some of the things taken from the ride:

-The song ("Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me" etc)
    -A pirate ship firing on an English port in the middle of the night
    -A skeleton drinking rum
    -Pirtates chasing women, drinking massive amounts of rum (the drunk guy on the barrel, for instance, is directly from the ride)
    -the line "Dead men tell no tales"
    -The group of 5-6 men trying all at once, and in vain, to lure the dog with the key

That's just from the first one, and there are probably others. The third one had even more stuff from the ride (mostly dialogue). For example, Barbosa saying, "These be the last friendly words you'll hear," and during the blackout after they go over the edge, you hear audio clips that are literally recordings from the ride (for instance, the pirate auctioning wenches who says, "Go on dearie, show 'em your larboard side").

Add Comment