User Avatar Image

Voiceovers

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 572 users

Looking back at the old LA games and Revolution games it got me thinking about voiceovers. Here's a couple of questions:

1) What where peoples favourite games in terms of voice casting? 2) Which voice captured what you thought of the character?
3) Do yoy think Bone should have a voice element or simply text?

For me

1) Broken Sword - George Stobbart is just cool as is his partner in crime :)
2) Can't seperate them its Sam & Max
3) I must admit I lean a little toward just text. Certainly I'd imagine those that have read the comics will have their own voices for the characters and it will be hard to do them justice.

22 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I read that. It only REALLY applies to "A-list" talent. You know, all those big-name actors. As for the general schmoe actor, the kind you can find by swinging a dead cat and hitting twenty of them, there's plenty of those who would be only too happy to work without royalty payments.

• No royalty payments? ..... I'd want those.

A-list tallent lends it's self well to games too. Take the latest GTA game. Samuel l Jackson did a great job with tenpenny as well as everyone else who put their voice into the game.

• No big loss there. The best voice acting talent has always come from good voice actors, not Hollywood names.

• [quote]No royalty payments? ..... I'd want those.
    [/quote]
    You apparently are not a starving, out-of-work actor. It's not like they're not getting paid at all, though. They just aren't getting a constant percentage of the sales until the end of time. Unless your name is the reason why the game is going to sell (i.e. in big letters on the box cover, "featuring the voice of Samuel L. Jackson"), then they shouldn't hold their breath for residuals. Not just yet, anyway.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]I read that. It only REALLY applies to "A-list" talent. You know, all those big-name actors. As for the general schmoe actor, the kind you can find by swinging a dead cat and hitting twenty of them, there's plenty of those who would be only too happy to work without royalty payments.[/quote]

[quote]No big loss there. The best voice acting talent has always come from good voice actors, not Hollywood names.[/quote]

You guys do know that most professional voice actors are in the screen actors guild, right? Including most of the memorable voice actors you've cited in this thread.

• Define "professional." Are they the person most capable of portraying the role, or the one with the most recognizable name?

I'm not saying that popular actor=bad performance or that an unknown is sure to be some hidden gem of a voice actor, but I think a lot of shortsided decisions have been made to hire a talent based on their star status rather than their ability to voice their game character properly. At the last minute, the original voice actors (whose work can still be partially heard in the demo) of LucasArts' The Dig were replaced with more well-known names (they weren't what I'd call A-List stars, but compare their resumes and you get the point). I don't think it's coincidental that The Dig featured, in my opinion, the most wooden voice acting of the company's adventure games. That admittedly isn't much of an insult as every other LucasArts game has featured what I consider the best game voice acting ever, but yeah - let's just say it was the only voice acting in a LucasArts game that I didn't think was incredible.

Also, SAG means nothing to me in terms of the quality of the actor, especially when you're talking about video games.

• [quote]
    You guys do know that most professional voice actors are in the screen actors guild, right? Including most of the memorable voice actors you've cited in this thread.[/quote]
    You do know that not all actors (voice or otherwise) are paid the same, right?

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

Imagine a beautifully made 3-D game with no voiceovers... It would make absolutely no sense, so it's more than obvious we will hear something other than sound effects. Additionally, I wouldn't doubt it if they put in a "text only" option for all you hardcore readers out there.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

[quote]Define "professional." Are they the person most capable of portraying the role, or the one with the most recognizable name? [/quote]

When I said "professional voice actors," I meant "people who do voice acting for a living." I wasn't at all referring to "celebrity voices." At least not necesarilly. There might be some celebrities who do voice acting for a living, but I couldn't name one.

• User Avatar Image
    Anonymous

A lot of older games in the DOS days didn't have or need "professional" voice actors. They used people in their own company for the voices! Why waste money on so-called "professional" voice actors, when you may have talent working for you already? With today's studio equipment, you can make almost everyone have a perfect voice.

Add Comment