User Avatar Image

What does your browser look like?

posted by hansschmucker on - last edited - Viewed by 923 users

Title says it all really:
What does your browser look like and why?
mybrowser.png

The browser is a nightly Firefox trunk build ("Minefield")
The layout is simply done by Showing only the menu bar with small icons.
Elements from left to right: Navigation, Reload, Stop, Menu, Location, Search, Bookmarks, Fullscreen.
The design is the default theme with the "Elegance" persona applied.
The Persona icon in the bottom left corner is the only icon added by extension.
Window design is Windows7 Aero with black and about 50% opacity.
Close button on tabs is moved via browser.tabs.closeButtons:3

P.S. The window is usually quite a bit wider so that the location bar expands.
Installed addons: Adblock+, APNG Edit, Base64 Encoder, Chatzilla, DOM Inspector, Firebug (only enabled when I need it, as it's prone to create conflicts), FlashGot, Full Screen Video, Greasemonkey, LiveHttpHeaders, PasswordExporter, Personas

64 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @TheJoe said: Well here it is...

browser.png

It's a custom Firefox Persona made with the cover of "Everything that Happens will Happen on this Tour" by David Byrne. Mozilla won't allow me to release it.

NDA Stuff?

@TheJoe said: Ever see Google Chrome? There's what mine looks like. :p

I was about to say the same thing.

• @hansschmucker said: Rawr, I hate to break it to you, but MSIE really IS terribly slow. No matter how you look at it. From any point of view. And that's already taking into account that people like myself spend weeks optimizing their code so that it runs as fast as possible in MSIE, sacrificing speed on all other browsers.

I hate to break it to you, but it isn't. Infact I just tested it. Downloaded Firefox just for you guys, feel proud. I wiped my cache and made sure I used a site which I haven't been on since I reinstalled Vista, so there wasn't any of the images left on the pc which would of made the test unfair. Also used an heavily html website. Used the exact same stopwatch. Started the stop watch as soon as i pressed enter on both times. I got pretty much the same results on both browsers, 6.8seconds on Internet Explorer 8 and 6.9seconds on Firefox 3.5. So clearly, there isn't a big difference.

• @Rawr said: I hate to break it to you, but it isn't. Infact I just tested it. Downloaded Firefox just for you guys, feel proud. I wiped my cache and made sure I used a site which I haven't been on since I reinstalled Vista, so there wasn't any of the images left on the pc which would of made the test unfair. Also used an heavily html website. Used the exact same stopwatch. Started the stop watch as soon as i pressed enter on both times. I got pretty much the same results on both browsers, 6.8seconds on Internet Explorer 8 and 6.9seconds on Firefox 3.5. So clearly, there isn't a big difference.

Well, if you wipe the cache on both and measure the load time, then that's pretty much what you can expect (seeing as the server responses are the bottleneck here). Try to load some long files from HDD and see what happens, for example: http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/

kitten.png

• Yes, and how many people actually load files from their HDD? The entire point of the internet is it's online. You don't save it to your hard disk to load later. You look at the web pages there and then, freshly updated. Fair enough if you're working on a webpage, then Firefox might be better, but, I'm not, and so, firefox isn't better for me. Consequently, you can't really call it crap, just because it might have a few extra features that some people might find handy. For the average internet user, Internet Explorer does the job just fine.

• what I'm saying is that you can't measure the speed that way... you just don't get ANY useful results.

I'd love to point you to pages that make good use of the additional speed offered by Firefox/Safari/Opera, but unfortunately any that do just don't work with MSIE's crappy rendering engine and missing features (including my own).

On any other browser we can by now render realtime 3D animations, the only reason why we can't do it on the web is because MSIE would use up all your memory, then crash.

• Perhaps you can't. But the point is it doesn't matter if the browser is "Faster" if you can't put that speed into action on the internet due to the servers. I honestly couldn't careless about the rendering engine as long as I get the page loaded up.. You guys don't seem to get that not everyone cares about the small details, not everyone is as petty as that. I'm going to say it again, since you don't quite seem to be getting the picture here. As long as it loads the internet pages at a fast speed, like it does, as shown by that test I did above, then it doesn't matter how it does it, or if the system is inferior, we don't care. It loads the pages at the same speed, and thats all that we ask for, after all, a web browsers job is to browse the web.

• The thing is we could do wonderful stuff on webpages, mind boggling stuff. Think 3D world, think music visualization, think games. That and much, much more.

But, we can't because MSIE is holding us back. We can't make use of the speed other browsers are offering while MSIE still exists.

The other thing is that developing MSIE compatibility costs a lot of time & money. Money we don't get from Microsoft, so we have to charge the customers for it. That and it's really quite frustrating to develop a program for 2 hours, then spend 20 getting it to work in MSIE (no, I'm not exaggerating).

• Last I checked, you can play 3d games, play music etc perfectly well in Internet Explorer using other plugins. I don't really care for internet pages with a 3d world, music visualisation or whatever. I have other programs for that. Besides, that isn't your only hold back, alot of us don't have strong enough internet connections to be able to withstand downloading that much data for just a webpage we're going to be on for a few seconds. If there really was a need for me to swap over to Firefox, I would. I don't hate the program, believe me. Just for the current things the internet offers, theres no point me swapping over yet.

Anyway, now Microsoft aren't allowed to ship Internet Explorer with Windows in Europe, you'll probably be happy to hear that you might get your wish of people not using IE anymore.

• Without plugins. Plugins and their little brother ActiveX are a security, accessibility and archival nightmare and should never have become mainstream. How do we expect user to make informed decisions about what to install on their system if we constantly wave "now install plugin X, then plugin Y and plugin Z (trust us, they're not evil)" type messages in their face.

Add Comment