Menu
User Avatar Image

Having problems loading game

posted by Dexodro on - last edited - Viewed by 812 users

Greetings all!

I've currently downloaded the demo of "Abe Lincoln Must Die" to see if my system can run the Seasons before I buy them (something I try to do as often as possible to avoid wasting my cash, you understand). Therein, however, lies the problem.
After downloading it, installing it, and running it, after pushing the "Play Now", the screen flashes, and returns me to the Desktop, and no error message is displayed. This concerns me. Could this be a fault of my own (Before posting this, I searched for other issues similar, but could find nothing. I also redownloaded the latest DirectX files, and checked to see if I was behind in driver updates. I wasn't)?

My computer stats :

Processor : AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+
Video Card : Nvidia Geforce 6150SE
HD : 300GB
RAM : 2GB

I am ready to give any information necessary in order to help me solve this dilemma, as I really enjoyed the older Sam & Max and have only heard good things about the episodic version.

Thank you.
Dex

24 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The MemTest will have to wait until I can grab my younger brother's Ubuntu LiveCD, as I have problems burning things to disk with my old dvd-writer, and I believe the livecd has memtest as an boot option.
    Well, I finished the five minutes, the first test completed without errors. I was wary, but I had alerts set for problematic temperatures, and they hit 63/61 just as the first test completed for the cpu. -phew-
    Furmark ran for 10 minutes wihout issue. My core temp idled at 52/45.
    Min.FR : 2 || Av.FR : 402 || Max.FR: 569

Wallace & Gromit Install :

No launcher pops up. No flashes. Nothing happens. Task manager shows processes being run, but then it shuts down. Nothing said, nothing done.

Tales of Monkey Island Install :
    Same thing.

• Could it be that your graphics card is somehow incompatible with Telltale games? Not sure how it would affect the computer but do you have a spare card from a different company you could test it with? I'm pretty sure I read another thread where someone with an Nvidia card was having problems of some sort...

• I did a search for "Nvidia 6150SE" before making the thread in case that it might have happened before, but I can't find anything related to it, seeing as my thread is the only one i found with any mention :P

• @Dexodro said: I did a search for "Nvidia 6150SE" before making the thread in case that it might have happened before, but I can't find anything related to it, seeing as my thread is the only one i found with any mention :P

Yeah, it probably wasn't your particular card, just the Nvidia brand. Whatever it is, I hope you get it sorted, it'll be a shame if you can't play the games.

I'm sure a representative will join in the thread in no time!

• @guitarsareboring said: Yeah, it probably wasn't your particular card, just the Nvidia brand. Whatever it is, I hope you get it sorted, it'll be a shame if you can't play the games.

I'm sure a representative will join in the thread in no time!

I sent them an e-mail linking to this thread, so hopefully, something will come of it. :)

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@Dexodro said:
    Wallace & Gromit Install :

No launcher pops up. No flashes. Nothing happens. Task manager shows processes being run, but then it shuts down. Nothing said, nothing done.

Tales of Monkey Island Install :
    Same thing.

Yes, the Ubuntu Live cd usually has memtest on it.
    Okay, so good news for CPU and GPU, and bad news for finding the reason.

Now that we knot ToMI and W&G are affected as well, we could have a look at similar problems with those games. There are more threads like that, but i didn't want to search for them all.

There were some really crazy solutions for some people.
    - Users who had a Graphics Tablet once had to uninstall its drivers or connect it to the PC because DirectInput behaved strangely.

- Older Graphics Card drivers made it work. That's something you could try.
    You find them in the Nvidia Driver Archive. You could start at the oldest, and when it works find the newest one that works.
    Know about binary search (computer scientists) or bisection (mathematicians)? Would be a good approach for that.

- Some had more luck with the Omega Drivers.

@Dexodro said: Could it be that your graphics card is somehow incompatible with Telltale games? Not sure how it would affect the computer but do you have a spare card from a different company you could test it with? I'm pretty sure I read another thread where someone with an Nvidia card was having problems of some sort...

That's a good idea. I would also try a different one from nvidia if available.
    It's not supposed to be permanent, just to narrow it down.

• What irritates me the most is that he doesn't get a launcher window for WnG. Maybe I'm wrong, but since the launcher is essentially a InternetExplorer wrapper, to me that suggests a deeper issue with the OS in general, rather than with his drivers. Registry, filesystem, incorrect file version of OS library... something like that.

If you have enough space on your HDD, maybe you could try a clean OS install. There may also be tools to verify the version of your core libraries, but I sadly don't know about those.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@hansschmucker said: What irritates me the most is that he doesn't get a launcher window for WnG. Maybe I'm wrong, but since the launcher is essentially a InternetExplorer wrapper, to me that suggests a deeper issue with the OS in general, rather than with his drivers. Registry, filesystem, incorrect file version of OS library... something like that.

If you have enough space on your HDD, maybe you could try a clean OS install. There may also be tools to verify the version of your core libraries, but I sadly don't know about those.

Good thinking. I suggested a fresh install for testing purposes earlier as a last resort.

Windows XP has a tool to check its system files, but i never used that.
    There's some documentation here.

• Try changing the colors in Windows to 32bits. That solved it for me.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@jannar85 said: Try changing the colors in Windows to 32bits. That solved it for me.

Sadly that's not the reason. I had checked it in his dxdiag already.
    Also, if you have it set to 16 bit it usually gives a (useless) error message.

Add Comment