User Avatar Image

What does your browser look like?

posted by hansschmucker on - last edited - Viewed by 922 users

Title says it all really:
What does your browser look like and why?
mybrowser.png

The browser is a nightly Firefox trunk build ("Minefield")
The layout is simply done by Showing only the menu bar with small icons.
Elements from left to right: Navigation, Reload, Stop, Menu, Location, Search, Bookmarks, Fullscreen.
The design is the default theme with the "Elegance" persona applied.
The Persona icon in the bottom left corner is the only icon added by extension.
Window design is Windows7 Aero with black and about 50% opacity.
Close button on tabs is moved via browser.tabs.closeButtons:3

P.S. The window is usually quite a bit wider so that the location bar expands.
Installed addons: Adblock+, APNG Edit, Base64 Encoder, Chatzilla, DOM Inspector, Firebug (only enabled when I need it, as it's prone to create conflicts), FlashGot, Full Screen Video, Greasemonkey, LiveHttpHeaders, PasswordExporter, Personas

64 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Apparently that advertisement campaign never reached Germany.
    Admittedly, we've only just begun exploring the uses, but if people stick to MSIE saying "that's good enough for the current web", we get a chicken/egg problem. Without better browsers, we don't get new web applications. Without new web applications, we don't get better browsers.

• User Avatar Image
    Tea

@Derwin said: NDA Stuff?

Something I'm not allowed to give any details about, including my participation with the current stage of testing which may or may not be Alpha.

• @hansschmucker said: Apparently that advertisement campaign never reached Germany.
    Admittedly, we've only just begun exploring the uses, but if people stick to MSIE saying "that's good enough for the current web", we get a chicken/egg problem. Without better browsers, we don't get new web applications. Without new web applications, we don't get better browsers.

Not really. If you go ahead and make the websites anyway, whether they work in MSIE or not, then people and I will be forced to use a better browser.

Anyway Im just testing out Google Chrome, been meaning to test it out for ages, but kept on forgetting.

• User Avatar Image
    Tea

I'm a great believer in "USING WHAT YOU WANT TO USE".

MSIE is not "bad". It's "bad" if it doesn't do what you want it to do, but in that case it's still not "bad" it's just not "your thing". There is no need to argue about such childish things. Same thing goes for OS.

Y'HERE THAT, INTERNET?!

• It looks a lot like the default Google Chrome browser.

• @TheJoe said: I'm a great believer in "USING WHAT YOU WANT TO USE".

MSIE is not "bad". It's "bad" if it doesn't do what you want it to do, but in that case it's still not "bad" it's just not "your thing". There is no need to argue about such childish things. Same thing goes for OS.

Y'HERE THAT, INTERNET?!

I agree.

I often also get shot down for using Vista, too. >.>

Edit: Well actually at the moment I'm using Windows 7....

• @TheJoe said: I'm a great believer in "USING WHAT YOU WANT TO USE".

Y'HERE THAT, INTERNET?!

*sigh* that would have sounded so wonderful logical, if I wasn't one of those who have to make up for MSIE's shortcomings with hours and hours of pointless work. Yes, I can see that MSIE doesn't look quite as bad from a pure user perspective, but for those who have to work with it, it's a nightmare.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@hansschmucker said: *sigh* that would have sounded so wonderful logical, if I wasn't one of those who have to make up for MSIE's shortcomings with hours and hours of pointless work.

You've got to hate, that Microsoft isn't planing to deliver the European Version of Windows 7 without Internet Explorer anymore :D
    I really liked the idea, but now they are only planing a dialog that lets you select different Browsers.

I can imagine how that will look like...
    Internet Explorer preselected, others are not automatically installed, just the manufacturers website will be loaded.
    Basically everything stays the same except for one click.

• Actually, I see the ballot box as the better idea. What good is a system without a browser that you can use to install alternative browsers, but with a huge button that says "CLICK HERE TO INSTALL INTERNET EXPLORER".

There are some decisions I don't agree with concerning the ballot box (for one I don't think it should appear inside a browser window with a design that suggests that it's some advertisement), but these are minor details.

• User Avatar Image
    Tea

@DjNDB said: You've got to hate, that Microsoft isn't planing to deliver the European Version of Windows 7 without Internet Explorer anymore :D
    I really liked the idea, but now they are only planing a dialog that lets you select different Browsers.

I can imagine how that will look like...
    Internet Explorer preselected, others are not automatically installed, just the manufacturers website will be loaded.
    Basically everything stays the same except for one click.

They're scrapping Windows E altogether now. There will still be Windows N which will have no Media Player or IE by default but E is gone and plain, original Windows 7 will be sold here with Windows 7 N hidden behind the counter and online as if it never existed.

Add Comment