User Avatar Image

Did Bill Tiller said too much about the ending of Monkey Island 2?

posted by Everlast on - last edited - Viewed by 488 users

Checking on of the topics of this forum http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8696 there was in the 1st post a link for a blog of Bill Tyler one of the creators of Monkey Island 3. Among lots of things he said, he wrote the following:

[quote]...yes, I’ll make a MI inspired pirate game, but instead of a geeky kid at Disneyland/ Big whoop™ wishing he was a pirate, I’ll make three cursed pirates who start off as ghosts. But that is far as I got, and then I put the idea on the back burner for about six years.[/quote]

I think he must have had some type of insight of the ending of the 2nd game of Monkey Island. But i dont know, but this blog definetly spat out his though on the ending of MI2. Do you guys think this is how should we interpretate Ron Gilbert's ending?

Edit: I also read from people here that the creators of Curs eof Monkey Islands had no insight on what was the storyline for the sequel supposed to go. But i have no clue if this is true or not

108 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Bill Tiller sounds a bit bitter in that quote. Although I suppose he has some legitimacy to that feeling, after the disaster for him that was Full Throttle: Payback.

Dave Grossman has gone on record saying, "Those who know don't tell." Bill Tiller - apparently - doesn't know or Dave is lying to cover Ron Gilbert. I don't know any of these people to make such personal judgments about their character nor do I really care. The explanation I care about is the canon one at the end of The Curse of Monkey Island.

• Then how do you explain Eline's lines?

• I think he is wrong. Guybrush IS a pirate not a kid. Big Whoop is a portal to another dimention and Guybrush is under a spell that turned him to a kid or made him believe he was one.

Voojoo Island is looking great as most work from Bill Tyller and I would be pissed of with Lucasarts too if they didn't give the credit my work deserves. But there is no need to bash MI 2 which is one of the best games ever as I feel somewhat is his intention.

There are never enough pirate games and the more the better.

• I am so lost. Can somebody please explain the purpose of the first post? (BTW.... I mean that quite literally. I'm totally not trying to be an asshole here.)

• @pilouuuu said: I think he is wrong. Guybrush IS a pirate not a kid. Big Whoop is a portal to another dimention and Guybrush is under a spell that turned him to a kid or made him believe he was one.

Honestly I think that there's some other explanation that was never brought to light. Curse did the best they could think of to continue on with the series in my opinion. I don't believe Guybrush is a geeky kid at a theme park wanting to be a pirate, but I don't fully accept Curse's explanation either. But it's all we got. But that's another discussion altogether.

• @roberttitus said: I am so lost. Can somebody please explain the purpose of the first post? (BTW.... I mean that quite literally. I'm totally not trying to be an asshole here.)

There is some debate whether Guybrush is a "real person" or all in the imagination of some kid at Disneyland, due to some events at the end of MI2. MI3 said that it was a hallucination by real guybrush caused by a portal to "heck" created by lechuck.
    That is what has been taken as canon up to now, but there is still an issue of whether or not that was the original story or not.

• @alexonfyre said: There is some debate whether Guybrush is a "real person" or all in the imagination of some kid at Disneyland, due to some events at the end of MI2. MI3 said that it was a hallucination by real guybrush caused by a portal to "heck" created by lechuck.
    That is what has been taken as canon up to now, but there is still an issue of whether or not that was the original story or not.

Thats for clearing that up. I have only played 1 & 4. I guess that would explain why I am clueless ay? :)

• Why in the world would the people who worked on Curse know ANYTHING? I mean, in regards to the original ending? If they knew its original purpose, they would have actually USED it, rather than creating the blindly stumbling mess that they did.

• @Rather Dashing said: Why in the world would the people who worked on Curse know ANYTHING? I mean, in regards to the original ending? If they knew its original purpose, they would have actually USED it, rather than creating the blindly stumbling mess that they did.

Goodness, I think we need to sit down, take a Xanax and try to curb the urge to kill everyone who made, bought, liked or ever thought about anything Monkey Island in a positive light after 1991.
    Just repeat to yourself...it's just a game

• @PariahKing said: Bill Tiller sounds a bit bitter in that quote. Although I suppose he has some legitimacy to that feeling, after the disaster for him that was Full Throttle: Payback.

Dave Grossman has gone on record saying, "Those who know don't tell." Bill Tiller - apparently - doesn't know or Dave is lying to cover Ron Gilbert. I don't know any of these people to make such personal judgments about their character nor do I really care. The explanation I care about is the canon one at the end of The Curse of Monkey Island.

He sounds like that when you read it. But seems like TTG is in friendly terms with him. Judging by the other topic opened. But that comment on his blog for me stood out alot, because its his judgement. Honestly if thats how MI3 should have run, alot of people would have been pissed off. Since one of the main reason people play this game is for pirate adventures, and not to play a kids imagination fixation. Im jumping the gun on what may have been MI3 in Ron Gilbert's plan, but who knows.

Add Comment