User Avatar Image

Did Bill Tiller said too much about the ending of Monkey Island 2?

posted by Everlast on - last edited - Viewed by 934 users

Checking on of the topics of this forum http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8696 there was in the 1st post a link for a blog of Bill Tyler one of the creators of Monkey Island 3. Among lots of things he said, he wrote the following:

[quote]...yes, I’ll make a MI inspired pirate game, but instead of a geeky kid at Disneyland/ Big whoop™ wishing he was a pirate, I’ll make three cursed pirates who start off as ghosts. But that is far as I got, and then I put the idea on the back burner for about six years.[/quote]

I think he must have had some type of insight of the ending of the 2nd game of Monkey Island. But i dont know, but this blog definetly spat out his though on the ending of MI2. Do you guys think this is how should we interpretate Ron Gilbert's ending?

Edit: I also read from people here that the creators of Curs eof Monkey Islands had no insight on what was the storyline for the sequel supposed to go. But i have no clue if this is true or not

108 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @alexonfyre said: Goodness, I think we need to sit down, take a Xanax and try to curb the urge to kill everyone who made, bought, liked or ever thought about anything Monkey Island in a positive light after 1991.
    Just repeat to yourself...it's just a game


    ..what?

    1. Logically speaking, I don't see why the quoted person would even know what the OP says they are giving away.

    2. If the Curse staff wasn't blindly stumbling in the dark for an explanation, there would be no debate about the ending.

    3. The only thing that genuinely pisses me off in these discussions is that "it's just a game" garbage. We're having CONVERSATION, not planning a coup or basing our lives around someone else's creation. I can have an opinion, you can have an opinion. People are free to agree or disagree. I sure as hell am not going to change my name to Moonbeam Starchild, grasping hands with the community while singing Kumbaya and yelling out that every thought is an individual whathaveyou.

    Yes it's just a game. Guess what? That's the whole point of this forum, the General boards being only a very SLIGHT exception(in that they're mostly game-dominated as well). They're kind of important here, in that they're the focus of all discussion.

    My real life is not affected by what goes on here. I come to this forum in my free time to discuss games and a company that I love, I do not come here to join in your "just a game" chorus. There are no opinions in this space, there is no diversity, there is no unique spirit. Stop telling me that I can't contribute what I want to the conversation, because everything I said was both valid and on-topic. Don't tell me I'm an overreacting anger management case, because that kind of talking down and diminishing of the value of my opinion and contribution to the discussion is the only thing about this discussion that has made me remotely peeved.

  • @roberttitus said: Thats for clearing that up. I have only played 1 & 4. I guess that would explain why I am clueless ay? :)

    Get this man a copy of Monkey Island 2 and 3, stat!!

  • @bobhobbit said: Get this man a copy of Monkey Island 2 and 3, stat!!

    Yeah really... I use Vista though... stupid... STUPID VISTA!!!!

  • @Rather Dashing said: Why in the world would the people who worked on Curse know ANYTHING? I mean, in regards to the original ending? If they knew its original purpose, they would have actually USED it, rather than creating the blindly stumbling mess that they did.

    Blindly stumbling mess? Did you play the same game that I did?

    @Rather Dashing said: Yeah really... I use Vista though... stupid... STUPID VISTA!!!!

    ScummVM is your friend.

  • @Rather Dashing said: ..what?

    1. Logically speaking, I don't see why the quoted person would even know what the OP says they are giving away.

    2. If the Curse staff wasn't blindly stumbling in the dark for an explanation, there would be no debate about the ending.

    3. The only thing that genuinely pisses me off in these discussions is that "it's just a game" garbage. We're having CONVERSATION, not planning a coup or basing our lives around someone else's creation. I can have an opinion, you can have an opinion. People are free to agree or disagree. I sure as hell am not going to change my name to Moonbeam Starchild, grasping hands with the community while singing Kumbaya and yelling out that every thought is an individual whathaveyou.

    Yes it's just a game. Guess what? That's the whole point of this forum, the General boards being only a very SLIGHT exception(in that they're mostly game-dominated as well). They're kind of important here, in that they're the focus of all discussion.

    My real life is not affected by what goes on here. I come to this forum in my free time to discuss games and a company that I love, I do not come here to join in your "just a game" chorus. There are no opinions in this space, there is no diversity, there is no unique spirit. Stop telling me that I can't contribute what I want to the conversation, because everything I said was both valid and on-topic. Don't tell me I'm an overreacting anger management case, because that kind of talking down and diminishing of the value of my opinion and contribution to the discussion is the only thing about this discussion that has made me remotely peeved.

    This argument is worth about four words to me: You're right, drop it.

  • @Pale Man said: Blindly stumbling mess? Did you play the same game that I did?


    Probably. It was called Curse of Monkey Island and I did buy it in a store. Granted a good majority of the rest of the game was really well done(with the other "problem areas" being a nagging minority of the puzzles and pretty bad character art), but the explanation for the LeChuck's Revenge ending always felt like they were explaining it away to retcon into the status quo rather than organically growing from it.

    Granted, they could have done far, FAR worse.

  • i agree with mr. dashing here..curse wasn't a bad game, but how they managed to continue from the ending of part 2 felt somewhat...artificial. on the other hand, it wasn't an easy task to begin with. i mean, there are a lot of theories, what the ending of mi2 actually meant...but it would have probably been difficult even for ron gilbert to find a good start for mi3.

  • I think he was just making a generalization of what people's expectations for what a new Monkey Island game would be about and then he threw in his own ideas.

  • Obvioulsy Bill Tiller is an excellent artist but I'm yet to be convinced by his/Autumn Moon's storytelling.

Add Comment