User Avatar Image

What's your theory about the ending of Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge?

posted by pilouuuu on - last edited - Viewed by 3.8K users

Here is mine (obviously full of spoilers about the game):

I think that all anachronisms like cereal boxes, Grog machines, etc are there just for fun as well as the fourth wall breaking stuff like "pirates talked like that" and the Lucasarts phone in the jungle. An amusement park is perfectly normal in a world like this.

My theory is that Big Whoop is a portal. Maybe it travels to different times. Maybe Guybrush went back in time to when he was in his childhood and his parents were alive. That's why his parents wear pirate clothes. Big Whoop is like a time machine.

Maybe LeChuck is really his older brother which went bad when Guybrush was just a baby and left just to become a pirate. His parents never told the truth to Guybrush.

Le Chuck's plan in to go back using the Big Whoop and kill Guybrush while he is a child. After that maybe prevent himself from dying?

Just my theory. I don't believe that "all is a dream" rubbish. It would simply suck in something as brilliant as Monkey Island.

Guybrush and Lechuck are brothers. Le Chuck cast a spell on Guybrush to confuse him. Big Whoop creates a portal to another time when Guybrush was a kid.

252 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I don't really have a theory that I actually believe 100% in. I can't bring myself to say "yup, that's it, that's the explanation.", since I can't really know.

However, I don't believe the "it's just a dream" or the Calvin and Hobbes theory. There are three things I deem important that I think proves this isn't the case. First of all, it's the whole glowing eyes thing. Then it's the short cutscene with Elaine saying "I hope LeChuck hasn't put a CURSE on him or something". And yes, curse is written in big letters in the game as well. I'd say that alone is hinting of a MI3 - which means the "it's just a dream" or the Calvine and Hobbes theory is wrong since those theories is based on MI2 being the last game. Then it's the whole Big Whoop carnival unmistakenly resembling Booty Island. Big Whoop may very well be a portal to another world, but that doesn't mean the world you're actually IN isn't real.

Anyway, I've had several different theories during the years, but I never actually believed in any of them. But as I said, I never ever suspected MI2 to be the last game because the game ends with a cliffhanger - thinking otherwise is simply taking the easy way out. There certainly was a MI3 coming, and while Ron could just say he have it all in his head to put fuel on the fire, I don't see why he'd still do that after so many years. Lying consequently to his fans wouldn't be a very nice thing to do.

• As a kid I liked the MI2 ending and assumed that it was supposed to finish the series on an ambiguous note. It kind of rubbed me the wrong way when MI3 came along and went to such troubles to undo that ending and remove any shreds of ambiguity. I'm not convinced there was ever a need for a Monkey Island 3 by Ron Gilbert or otherwise.

• it totally agree with you. the mi2 ending was one of the best endings i had seen so far and even though it was confusing and kind of weird, it was a brilliant ending. i think, that was the first time, i saw a not-happy ending as a kid. they way they continued the story in mi3 and 4 was funny, but seemed kinda makeshift.
    if gilbert or at least someone from the old team had done mi3, the transition between mi2 and mi3 would probably have been a lot more elaborate, because they knew what the ending of mi2 meant..

...my second theory about the ending is, that they just wanted to something crazy and did it david lynch-style, just adding some elements that seem as if they have a deeper meaning, regardless if it actually makes sense or is possible or anything. that may be the reason why everyone involved in the making of mi2 is making such a big deal about it. everyone thinks they're briliant now, so way change that...:D

• Sorry for bringing up this topic again (although it's an interesting topic). But I just remembered something - relatively early on in MI2, Guybrush falls and hits his head (the Big Tree) and we get a dream sequence with his parents turning into skeletons and dancing the skeleton dance - giving him the instructions on some later puzzle.

Well, he does hit his head pretty hard when the rope breaks because Guybrush refuses to let the Big Whoop treasure chest go. Most likely a lot harder than in the Big Tree. Well, let's say he starts dreaming from that point, like in the Big Tree incident. A lot of what's happened to him up until then (both from MI1 and MI2) is revisited as references or even puzzles. The Grog Machine from MI1 is there, wrecked (he fell on it from a great height so it's obvious it would somewhat messed up). The back alley from MI1. The parents from the Big Tree incidents. The whole voodoo doll puzzle. LeChuck chasing him. Everything is connected to elements from both games, but in a different context. And you know how dreams can take drastic turns and suddenly become a whole new dream, sometimes connecting elements from one dream to the other? Well, at first LeChuck is chasing Guybrush around in dark corridors with no chance of escape (sounds like a classic nightmare, doesn't it), and when he finally caught up with him and you decide it's time to fight back, the dream is taking an unexpected unexplainable turn (Chuckie, Mom and Dad, etc).

Well, it certainly sounds like something I could've dreamt. Not exactly of course, but with elements taken from my own life and put into different contexts.

• LeChuck says a few times he's going to send him to a different dimention. That might have been it.
    The bigger question is: Are they brothers? I think they are, but they just like to ignore that fact and try not to mention it, since it's rather embarassing for both of them.

• I think Ron Gilbert said in an interview once that they're brothers, but not really brothers - whatever that means. I don't think they're brothers in flesh.

• "It contains the secret to another world"

It's been a while since I played the game, but didn't the treasure chest contain an E-ticket? An E-ticket grants you access to all rides at... Disneyworld? I think of oldschool promos for themeparks where they would have a narrator going "Enter a whole new world!" and stuff. See where I'm getting at?
    And "escape LeChuck forever", that could just mean that a themepark is a great way to have a good time and escape reality for a few minutes.

See, it may be dumb, but it works perfect within the Monkey Island context. I'm sure that if it was true it would've been part of some silly follow-up joke in Gilbert's Monkey 3. If you think it sounds unlikely, look back at Monkey 1 and imagine the game would've ended on a cliffhanger as you "face the beast" that Meathook has feared for so long. No way in hell you would've guessed it was a parrot. It's ridiculous, which is what makes it funny. I'm sure the explaination for LR's ending is just as ridicoulus too.

So thats my take on at least what the Voodoo Lady says. God I love discussing these kind of things. :)

• @StarEye said: Sorry for bringing up this topic again (although it's an interesting topic). But I just remembered something - relatively early on in MI2, Guybrush falls and hits his head (the Big Tree) and we get a dream sequence with his parents turning into skeletons and dancing the skeleton dance - giving him the instructions on some later puzzle.

Well, he does hit his head pretty hard when the rope breaks because Guybrush refuses to let the Big Whoop treasure chest go. Most likely a lot harder than in the Big Tree. Well, let's say he starts dreaming from that point, like in the Big Tree incident. A lot of what's happened to him up until then (both from MI1 and MI2) is revisited as references or even puzzles. The Grog Machine from MI1 is there, wrecked (he fell on it from a great height so it's obvious it would somewhat messed up). The back alley from MI1. The parents from the Big Tree incidents. The whole voodoo doll puzzle. LeChuck chasing him. Everything is connected to elements from both games, but in a different context. And you know how dreams can take drastic turns and suddenly become a whole new dream, sometimes connecting elements from one dream to the other? Well, at first LeChuck is chasing Guybrush around in dark corridors with no chance of escape (sounds like a classic nightmare, doesn't it), and when he finally caught up with him and you decide it's time to fight back, the dream is taking an unexpected unexplainable turn (Chuckie, Mom and Dad, etc).

Well, it certainly sounds like something I could've dreamt. Not exactly of course, but with elements taken from my own life and put into different contexts.

This would be a much better explanation imo than the stupid "kid in a theme park" story everyone seems to think is truth, but the official explanation is Curse's.

I don't honestly care what Ron Gilbert would've done, because he didn't care enough about it to actually do it, so it must not have been that great.

• @Pale Man said: This would be a much better explanation imo than the stupid "kid in a theme park" story everyone seems to think is truth, but the official explanation is Curse's.

I consider it barely more valid than a fanfiction, honestly. Story-wise, it was assigned to someone else who had no involvement with the planning and thought put into the second game's ending. In the basest sense, they were paid fanfiction writers.

Their story is "canonical" now, sure. But it's a series written by two sets of people, with two different visions. I don't see why post-Curse events can't be considered as "unofficial" to somebody, in terms of the original story.

I don't honestly care what Ron Gilbert would've done, because he didn't care enough about it to actually do it, so it must not have been that great.
    I would like to know, honestly. We're not going to get it, and I can be fine with that, but I'd still like to know what might have come out of it. The Curse explanation feels...artificial, to me.

• @Rather Dashing said: The Curse explanation feels...artificial, to me.

Well imagine this, YOU'VE just been hired by LucasArts to write the script for the new MI game after MI2, but you have to make sense AND keep it simple for new fans, how would YOU go about it?

Add Comment