User Avatar Image

What's your theory about the ending of Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge?

posted by pilouuuu on - last edited - Viewed by 3.9K users

Here is mine (obviously full of spoilers about the game):

I think that all anachronisms like cereal boxes, Grog machines, etc are there just for fun as well as the fourth wall breaking stuff like "pirates talked like that" and the Lucasarts phone in the jungle. An amusement park is perfectly normal in a world like this.

My theory is that Big Whoop is a portal. Maybe it travels to different times. Maybe Guybrush went back in time to when he was in his childhood and his parents were alive. That's why his parents wear pirate clothes. Big Whoop is like a time machine.

Maybe LeChuck is really his older brother which went bad when Guybrush was just a baby and left just to become a pirate. His parents never told the truth to Guybrush.

Le Chuck's plan in to go back using the Big Whoop and kill Guybrush while he is a child. After that maybe prevent himself from dying?

Just my theory. I don't believe that "all is a dream" rubbish. It would simply suck in something as brilliant as Monkey Island.

Guybrush and Lechuck are brothers. Le Chuck cast a spell on Guybrush to confuse him. Big Whoop creates a portal to another time when Guybrush was a kid.

252 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Rather Dashing said: I consider it barely more valid than a fanfiction, honestly. Story-wise, it was assigned to someone else who had no involvement with the planning and thought put into the second game's ending. In the basest sense, they were paid fanfiction writers.

That's kind of harsh.

• @Spadge said: Or time travel.

You mean like in Escape from Monkey Island where Ozzie Mandrill went back in time and knocked H.T.Marley into the Whirpool before LeChuck had the chance?

OOOOHHHHHH :D:p

• Well, no. More like Guybrush being sucked into a time vortex and becoming his own Grandpa.

• Well, i think the "wrong" thing in CMI wasn't the explanation itself, but simply the fact that did try to explain stuff.
    Having the game start in the middle of the ocean without any apparent reason was great : it kind of told you (or could have) "okay, so, we don't have any idea of what this MI2 Ending was supposed to mean, so let's just start from scrap and have some fun". Kind of what Telltale did with Tales and the whole fictional MI5 joke.
    The whole sequence in the end wasn't "wrong" because it was bad or anything, but it seemed like trying to hard to link the game to the previous two. I guess some well thought joke along the lines of "who cares ? shut up and die !" would, in the end, have worked better than this tedious and almost desperate try to make sense.

• Hahahaha, I just went back and did the ending of MI2 again so it would be fresh, and did so right after playing the SoMI:SE... aside from the obvious references, it seemed as though it was a parody on the Star Wars tale. I mean the story parallels are all there throughout 1 and 2, the end part is obviously the end battle at Cloud City. The end sequence skips ahead to the end of Star Wars ep. 6 and, there being no obvious way to end it there, they picked the dream sequence Deus ex Machina a la Dallas.
    Seems to me like they never planned on making more, that they wanted to move on to new franchises and the line with Elaine at the end was simply an out if they were forced to make another one by LA. Problem is that they had all moved on with their lives by the time LA decided to revive the series and the new team was totally in the dark about what Ron really wanted. Seems to me like they didn't want to pick up the "horrible SPELL" ball and just say something like "I lived in a strange place called 'South Dakota' for what seemed like 3 weeks until Lechuck once again attempted to kill me using a voodoo necklace which backfired and destroyed the curse which I had been under. Shortly thereafter Elaine found me unconcious at the the bottom of the deep hole..."
    Instead opting to retcon it at the end rather than the beginning, which awkwarded it all up.

But despite all of that story I just made up, I have one lingering question...
    What happened to the treasure chest Guybrush was holding on to before he fell?

• @alexonfyre said:
    But despite all of that story I just made up, I have one lingering question...
    What happened to the treasure chest Guybrush was holding on to before he fell?

It smashed on the floor, that's the broken case in the first room, although there is no treasure in it, only the mysterious E Ticket.

• @Ash735 said: Well imagine this, YOU'VE just been hired by LucasArts to write the script for the new MI game after MI2, but you have to make sense AND keep it simple for new fans, how would YOU go about it?

Big Whoop is an illusory simulated reality construct of the world as a theme park developed by LeChuck to keep Guybrush docile in his captivity. Guybrush must then recruit a crew to free others from Big Whoop and recruit them to their resistance against LeChuck. Within Big Whoop, they are able to use their understanding of its nature to bend the laws of physics within the simulation, giving them superhuman abilities. Guybrush is "the One", a man prophesied to end LeChuck's control through his limitless control over Big Whoop.

That's how I would go about it.

• @Rather Dashing said: I consider it barely more valid than a fanfiction, honestly. Story-wise, it was assigned to someone else who had no involvement with the planning and thought put into the second game's ending. In the basest sense, they were paid fanfiction writers.

Chuck Jordan was a paid fanfiction writer?

What do you think about the writers of ToMI then? (Specifically Mike Stemmle) Are they paid fanfiction writers too or does Dave Grossman's presence make them genuine?

• @Vira said: Best theory I've ever read about Monkey Island (I think it was on this forum) was basically that Guybrush was a failed writer who fell into a coma. His brother, Chuckie, stole his girlfriend from him so in his mind he convinces himself that LeChuck's evil. And his favorite ride as a kid was Disney's "Pirates of the Caribbean" so pirates became the main subject of his book and, consequently, his fantasies.

So everytime his mind came closer to the truth, he manages to convince himself otherwise. I like this theory because it explains his skeletal parents (they're dead and he's older), LeChuck and Chuckie's obsession with Elaine, and Guybrush's seemingly adult mind. And it can work with the proceeding games as well.

Hey, I didn't know anyone liked my theory : ) I posted it long time ago on World of MI and later here, in "Calling Mr Grossman" thread. The whole Disney thing isn't that important, as he's a writer (or a game designer) so he writes adventure books about pirates and that's his imaginatory world he escapes to when he can't stand his life anymore.
    The moment when you see your parents skeletons under "Lost parents" sign is really creepy and very non-humorous, so probably he has some trauma with his parents.

Add Comment