User Avatar Image

What's your theory about the ending of Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge?

posted by pilouuuu on - last edited - Viewed by 6.8K users

Here is mine (obviously full of spoilers about the game):

I think that all anachronisms like cereal boxes, Grog machines, etc are there just for fun as well as the fourth wall breaking stuff like "pirates talked like that" and the Lucasarts phone in the jungle. An amusement park is perfectly normal in a world like this.

My theory is that Big Whoop is a portal. Maybe it travels to different times. Maybe Guybrush went back in time to when he was in his childhood and his parents were alive. That's why his parents wear pirate clothes. Big Whoop is like a time machine.

Maybe LeChuck is really his older brother which went bad when Guybrush was just a baby and left just to become a pirate. His parents never told the truth to Guybrush.

Le Chuck's plan in to go back using the Big Whoop and kill Guybrush while he is a child. After that maybe prevent himself from dying?

Just my theory. I don't believe that "all is a dream" rubbish. It would simply suck in something as brilliant as Monkey Island.

Guybrush and Lechuck are brothers. Le Chuck cast a spell on Guybrush to confuse him. Big Whoop creates a portal to another time when Guybrush was a kid.

252 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • You know, I was just thinking about the end of LeChuck's revenge, and it just hit me like a brick wall!

So...

No, it wasn't a portal to another dimension.

No, it wasn't a curse by LeChuck.

No, it wasn't Big Whoop!

No, it isn't an overactive imagination.

My theory:

When Guybrush is making his voodoo doll, if I remember correctly, doesn't he use HIS PARENT'S BONES to create it? So..Guybrush makes voodoo doll of LeChuck, and because he used his paren's bones as a part of the doll, it goes wrong. His own voodoo doll's magic MAKES LeChuck his brother! And there you have a reason of why the events took place.

This also fits in with the interview with Ron GIlbert, where when asked if LeChuck was hGuybrush's brother, Ron replied "He is and he isn't.." and also that Big Whoop was meaningless in the game.

Thoughts on this one guys?

• @Karl said: My theory:

When Guybrush is making his voodoo doll, if I remember correctly, doesn't he use HIS PARENT'S BONES to create it? So..Guybrush makes voodoo doll of LeChuck, and because he used his paren's bones as a part of the doll, it goes wrong. His own voodoo doll's magic MAKES LeChuck his brother! And there you have a reason of why the events took place.

This also fits in with the interview with Ron GIlbert, where when asked if LeChuck was hGuybrush's brother, Ron replied "He is and he isn't.." and also that Big Whoop was meaningless in the game.

Thoughts on this one guys?

LeChuck reveals to Guybrush that he is his brother before you start making the voodoo doll, which is why using the bones of your parents makes sense in the first place.

Whatever happens at the end - Guybrush being pulled out of his fantasy, stepping into another dimension through Big Whoop, LeChuck casting a spell on Guybrush... - it is obvious that it has already started happening the minute you meet LeChuck again in the tunnels below Dinky. The game takes a very sudden turn for the surreal and dream-like in this very last part, with modern-day tunnels storing an elevator to Melee Island, (presumably) the broken grog machine from MI1 and the bones of your parents sitting in a waiting room.

• Oh he told it beforehand?

But still, he could have lied to Guybrush to get him to make the doll. Isn't it awefully convenient that the bones just happened to be lying there? And also having made a voodoo doll himself, he willingly blows his nose for Guybrush and gives it back to him, knowing what he is probably doing?

• If I might quote Roger Ebert talking about the movie Being There "The movie presents us with an image, and while you may discuss the meaning of the image it is not permitted to devise explanations for it. Since Ashby does not show a pier, there is no pier — a movie is exactly what it shows us, and nothing more."

Likewise, what the game shows us is that it is a curse of LeChuck by flashing his eyes. In fact, it goes out of its way to tell us so, by showing Elaine dangling and saying "Gee, I hope he wasn't cursed". Any theories about "the lingering imagination of a child" or "Elaine is just another playmate" is going out of the game and making up explanations.

• It's all just kids playing, that's pretty obvious to me. I don't mind.

• @Lord-z said: If I might

No you might not. :p
    @Lord-z said: quote Roger Ebert talking about the movie Being There "The movie presents us with an image, and while you may discuss the meaning of the image it is not permitted to devise explanations for it. Since Ashby does not show a pier, there is no pier — a movie is exactly what it shows us, and nothing more."

Likewise, what the game shows us is that it is a curse of LeChuck by flashing his eyes. In fact, it goes out of its way to tell us so, by showing Elaine dangling and saying "Gee, I hope he wasn't cursed". Any theories about "the lingering imagination of a child" or "Elaine is just another playmate" is going out of the game and making up explanations.

The Elaine scene and glowing eyes could all be there to raise questions. Elaine wondering whether Guybrush is under a spell merely raises the possibility of such, not confirmation of the scenario, and (depending upon the intentions of the author) provides an out for possibly continuing the series.

Plus you got to remember that the guys making the game were not movie directors and probably didn't have a clue as to how things like that were probably meant to go (videogaming was still a young industry at the time), and besides, it's given us all something to debate all these years. :D

• I just remembered when LeChuck is brought back to life by Largo with his beard. Doesn't he tell something to the Voodoo priest? To make a spell? That could be the spell that Elaine refered at the end.

It is pretty clear to me. Le Chuck asked the Voodoo priest to make a spell. But the voodoo needs some strange ingredients to get done. The spell must be fully "activated" by the person that is going to suffer it. So Lechuck's places all the ingredients beneath Dinky Island for Guybrush to find.

The bones are probably LeChuck's parents! Why would two skeletons be put there with a sign saying "Lost Parents"? Isn't that suspicious?

The E-Ticket is probably the portal to Big Whoop and not Big Whoop itself, which may be a park, another dimention, hell, limbo, or any other thing Ron Gilbert had in mind.

Maybe LeChuck wanted Guybrush to be tortured not only physically, but also psychologically. That's why he took Guybrush there. I really doubt they are really brothers. Le Chuck seems to be too much older. He has dark hair and Guybrush is blonde.

It is an ambiguous ending and sometimes I get confused by it, and in that sense it is a brilliant ending because after so many years we are still discusing it, but honestly after you start to analyse it, all points to a spell.

• Don't you think the spell LeChuck is refering to is the creation of the Guybrush voodoo doll?

• You know what, I'm going to go back to my wacky theory, That E Ticket was Laced with Acid and Guybrush was just tripping balls in those tunnels whilst Elaine escaped and LeChuck gave chase.

• You know what, I'm going to go back to my wacky theory, That E Ticket was Laced with Acid and Guybrush was just tripping balls in those tunnels whilst Elaine escaped and LeChuck gave chase.

I actually like that one :D
    So the secret of monkey island is that LSD rules, dude :eek: ?

Add Comment