User Avatar Image

Chief puzzle complains with Siege (Warning: Spoilers)

posted by KevinSig on - last edited - Viewed by 460 users

There were two particular puzzles in the game that I thought could have been better.

1st complaint: The seahorse puzzle
- I've got loads of issues with this one. First, getting Pyrite Guybrush into the chest is horridly done. I mean, the option of getting them into a staring contest doesn't always appear (I usually have to tell them to cooperate 1st). Plus, the way the camera angles are, its hard to tell the difference between when you normally distract them.

Finally, it isn't entirely clear that they take the artifact off island. Yes, this gets mentioned at the start of the conversation, but I wouldn't have minded a reminder when they got back. Something like: "Gee, for traveling away from the islands, it certainly didn't seem to take you long."

2nd complaint: The rubber tree
- Biggest complaint with this one, is that I didn't even know the rubber tree was even there. There was no reason for me to travel back to the island & I had to look to hints to find it. If only the game would have forced you into 'discovering' it when you find the artifact. (Tripping over the tree's roots after digging it up?)

That's it. My 2 chief complaints. Just thought I'd share.

Kevin

50 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I actually found the seahorse puzzle to be disappointingly simple. The only slight problem I had was that I hadn't noticed there was an island in the corner of the map.

The rubber tree I sort of agree on, but if you get stuck the best thing to do is visit every place you've already visited to see if anything has changed. When those pirates were on that island I knew I needed to take something away with me. Plus when you kick the coconut earlier in the game it bounces off the tree. I didn't really notice that, but it *was* a hint for the player to come back to it later.

• When you try to pick up the coconut, there is a scene that draws your attention to the fact that it is a rubber tree.
    Also the rubber tree has a different color then other trees.
    If you break the mast often, Winslow comments that you need something that 'gives way' more.

It is heavily implied you need to put something into the chest to be able to track it.
    You can distract the pirates in 2 ways ("look there" and "game") and there is an open chest in front of them.
    When you go to any small island and click on the sand, Guybrush comments that he "is not going to dig just anywhere for treasure".
    That you can click on the sand at all is a hint.

• I found the rubber tree before I even went to Jerkbait island for the first time, so I disagree with that part. It was there, you just had to examine the coconut anytime you zent to the island (and it should attract your eyes, really) and you'd be well aware of its presence.

The Seahorse thing I didn't find hard either. It's not unusual for a line of dialogue to unlock new options (first you ask them to cooperate, then you can suggest how) and once I realised you could distract them it was pretty easy for me to figure out what to do (put something in the chest) and with what (the parrot, that would make noise).

However I did re-explore the whole forrest first since it looks like they come back from there after they bury the treasure. That's only after a while that I thought to go back to the 3 small islands (of course I went to the right one last. Stupid odds.)

• Also, that rubber tree is huge, not like the bucket.

Buckeeeeet!!!!!

• I got the rubber tree one instantly. The fact that you have to go to that island to pick up the burred treasure, seeing the coconut bouncing off it, and that they used tree's for masts were all clues.

In fact I found that puzzle ridiculously easy.

The distracting the pirates from the treasure chest was one it took me a while to get. You are right, finding the staring contest dialogue option was a bugger!

• The pirate puzzle, where you need to get them to bury your bird I found highly annoying. It's one of those puzzles that are hard for the wrong reason, I knew right away that I needed to place the talking bird in the chest but I had to figure out how the game would let me.

Having to do the stairing contest -then- the discraction didn't make any sence. Why did the pirates look away differently after the contest then just with a distraction? That puzzle was the one probelm I had.

Oh, and the thing with the fish eggs? Bad Telltale! Me no likely the red herrings! :P

• @Lexi00 said: Oh, and the thing with the fish eggs? Bad Telltale! Me no likely the red herrings! :P

I like red herrings and general useless junk in your inventory

• @KevinSig said:
    Finally, it isn't entirely clear that they take the artifact off island. Yes, this gets mentioned at the start of the conversation, but I wouldn't have minded a reminder when they got back. Something like: [I]"Gee, for traveling away from the islands, it certainly didn't seem to take you long."

Well they do 'borrow' your raft, so my first guess was they buried it on another island/isle..

• @guitarsareboring said: I like red herrings and general useless junk in your inventory

Me too. As long as there's not like 4 or 5 of them..

Add Comment