User Avatar Image

Boycot the Hints

posted by Shish keJoe on - last edited - Viewed by 835 users

The game is out for like what..? 4 hours... put a little effort in finishing it yourself..!

I call for an official 48h boycott on giving information on this game!

62 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Shwoo said: I'm not. Does that mean I'm not a real adventure gamer even though I play adventure games?

that is right, you have been officially stripped of your title as "adventure gamer" hereby. as a real one you should loathe all hint-users and also despise any other form of game, be it chess, tennis or tetris, specially those first person thingies...they're like adventure gaming's kryptonite. oh yeah, and everything star wars related. we all know where that got us.. :D

okay, seriously...of course there are people who tend to ask for help or use hints to fast and spoil the fun for themselves, but that's their decision. i mean, maybe someone just bought the game because he/she likes the story...who can judge and force them to play through the game properly.

• Woah never thought people would call Shish keJoe a fascist :O He's just helping people to get more out the game by saying not to use hints the first 48 hours :O...

By doing the "wrong" things in adventure games (especially Monkey Island) you'll get the most hilarious qoutes from Guybrush.... so 1 who'll directly use the hint will miss this part of the game... So Shish keJoe is really helping this people to get every thing out of the game! But yes... if one still want to use hints... go ahead... we're not stopping you :P

• This is a good idea, but it's not really worked sadly. I reckon you could probably piece together bits of that hints thread to get a walkthrough.

As for people who look at hints; the two bits of the game that took me the longest were for damned stupid reasons - I didn't notice a bucket, and I couldn't spot an island.
    But it was during these times that I looked at loads of stuff, spoke to loads of folk and got a whole lot more out of it than had I whizzed through.

• @Eagle said: Woah never thought people would call Shish keJoe a fascist :O He's just helping people to get more out the game by saying not to use hints the first 48 hours :O...

By doing the "wrong" things in adventure games (especially Monkey Island) you'll get the most hilarious qoutes from Guybrush.... so 1 who'll directly use the hint will miss this part of the game... So Shish keJoe is really helping this people to get every thing out of the game! But yes... if one still want to use hints... go ahead... we're not stopping you :P

No he's not, he's telling other people what is good for them by trying to make the other forum members boycott giving help for the first 48 hours, and that, is being a fascist. I agree with the poster who said that.

• Some of the most fun I have with these games is AFTER I complete them...

Trying to rationalize the puzzles and come up with creative hints that steer players in the right direction without blatantly telling them what to do.

I try to avoid hints myself, but they sure are fun to come up with :D

• @JohanShogun said: No he's not, he's telling other people what is good for them by trying to make the other forum members boycott giving help for the first 48 hours, and that, is being a fascist. I agree with the poster who said that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism furthermore he didn't say you aren't allowed to post hints he just called for a boycot, if you don't like it just ignore his calling as many other people do... just don't start flaming the guy :)

• A wikipedia article? Seriously? What are we? twelve? A word gains it's meaning form how it's used, we both know how this word is used in common speak describing common things. See my previous post on oranges and peaches or what it was.

And, as for the boycott, voicing your oppinion on that something is wrong helps other people see that it may be wrong or at least make up their own mind. It's the silent masses who just don't care and ignore things who allows illegal or descriminating laws and policies to be passed. Applied to the forum: it's the people who don't say anything and just ignore narrow minded and descriminating forum movements who allow them to happen.

• @JohanShogun said: A wikipedia article? Seriously? What are we? twelve? A word gains it's meaning form how it's used, we both know how this word is used in common speak describing common things. See my previous post on oranges and peaches or what it was.

And, as for the boycott, voicing your oppinion on that something is wrong helps other people see that it may be wrong or at least make up their own mind. It's the silent masses who just don't care and ignore things who allows illegal or descriminating laws and policies to be passed. Applied to the forum: it's the people who don't say anything and just ignore narrow minded and descriminating forum movements who allow them to happen.

:') Who is narrowminded here? Everyone knows the definition of fascist but probably you don't know. Also I posted the wikipedia link for some background info (and yes it isn't always the best resource but I thought you get the point, I see I was wrong, my fault) Anyways i've got better things to do then to convince you how you should interpret this thread ;). I only wanted to let you know that it's wrong to start flaming someone for giving his opinion ;)

Anyways shall we stop this neverending discussion and set our minds on something what really matters... Monkey Island :D:D

• *sigh* fine, fascist, as to belogning to the fascist movement, and waht is the fascist movement? the fascist movement comes from the greek (or is it latin?, I forget) of force. The grounding principal of a fascistmovement is worshipping the right of the strong. Often known within for instance Fascist Spain in the 30s to quit a while, fascist italy in the 30s to quite a while but less a while, natzi germany or fascist greece (a bit after WW 2). But known from quite a bit before that, as you can tell the word having a latin (or is it greek? I forget) base.

Commonly used in daily speech to desribe someone who is narrow midned, descriminating, forceful of views their views and dividing among people to sort out who is better then other people.

Happy? Wasn't that hard, you shouldn't need a wiki for that.

• @JohanShogun said: *sigh* fine, fascist, as to belogning to the fascist movement, and waht is the fascist movement? the fascist movement comes from the greek (or is it latin?, I forget) of force. The grounding principal of a fascistmovement is worshipping the right of the strong. Often known within for instance Fascist Spain in the 30s to quit a while, fascist italy in the 30s to quite a while but less a while, natzi germany or fascist greece (a bit after WW 2). But known from quite a bit before that, as you can tell the word having a latin (or is it greek? I forget) base.

Commonly used in daily speech to desribe someone who is narrow midned, descriminating, forceful of views their views and dividing among people to sort out who is better then other people.

Happy? Wasn't that hard, you shouldn't need a wiki for that.

True true.. and that was what I was trying to tell... the topicstarter didn't discriminate anyone nor was he forcing someone to do something. He just proposed something. You are right about the wiki I didn't need that but i'm a lazy guy.... sorry about that.. can we be Monkey buddy's now :) ?

This discussion has been closed.