User Avatar Image

Chief puzzle complains with Siege (Warning: Spoilers)

posted by KevinSig on - last edited - Viewed by 415 users

There were two particular puzzles in the game that I thought could have been better.

1st complaint: The seahorse puzzle
- I've got loads of issues with this one. First, getting Pyrite Guybrush into the chest is horridly done. I mean, the option of getting them into a staring contest doesn't always appear (I usually have to tell them to cooperate 1st). Plus, the way the camera angles are, its hard to tell the difference between when you normally distract them.

Finally, it isn't entirely clear that they take the artifact off island. Yes, this gets mentioned at the start of the conversation, but I wouldn't have minded a reminder when they got back. Something like: "Gee, for traveling away from the islands, it certainly didn't seem to take you long."

2nd complaint: The rubber tree
- Biggest complaint with this one, is that I didn't even know the rubber tree was even there. There was no reason for me to travel back to the island & I had to look to hints to find it. If only the game would have forced you into 'discovering' it when you find the artifact. (Tripping over the tree's roots after digging it up?)

That's it. My 2 chief complaints. Just thought I'd share.

Kevin

50 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • A puzzle that I really hated was that you had to go up on the cliff and pour the molten pyrite down into the mold from the edge. That made absolutely no sense, and Telltale is, usually, very good at making jokes that, within the world of the game, makes sense. Guybrush can't walk over there, but he can walk up a mountain without it melting? It took me an eternity to figure it out, because I was looking for a way to recreate the mold closer to the grill or move the mold. A case of some of the talented people at TTG trying to squeeze a puzzle to much into a game. Happens to the best.

• @Lord-z said: A puzzle that I really hated was that you had to go up on the cliff and pour the molten pyrite down into the mold from the edge. That made absolutely no sense, and Telltale is, usually, very good at making jokes that, within the world of the game, makes sense. Guybrush can't walk over there, but he can walk up a mountain without it melting? It took me an eternity to figure it out, because I was looking for a way to recreate the mold closer to the grill or move the mold. A case of some of the talented people at TTG trying to squeeze a puzzle to much into a game. Happens to the best.

That puzzle made perfect sense actually and I got it right away.
    You would have too if you would have just clicked on the cliff after the stuff fell down.
    A case of wanting to go to fast without proper exploring. Happens to the best.

• For the rubber tree, those who played CMI should definitely know something about them. The first time I saw it, I was like "this is here for a reason". And it was!
    Very logical for me, and I loved the bouncy mast sequence ;)

• I didn't have to even consider looking up a walkthrough even once, which is a terrible sign for me. I agree the distracting-the-pirates puzzle was very poorly executed. Not a bad idea, though. You just couldn't tell that their orientation was even a problem before you stumble on the solution.

• @Lockmort said: That puzzle made perfect sense actually and I got it right away.
    You would have too if you would have just clicked on the cliff after the stuff fell down.
    A case of wanting to go to fast without proper exploring. Happens to the best.

Actually I did click on the cliff after it fell down. It is just the idea that Guybrush walked up the mountain without it melting and pouring it a a couple hundred feet down, when he couldn't walk what should actually, in practice, be the shorter way. In my mind, it makes absolutely no sense. Often when I have gotten stuck, it has been a really obvious solution that completely passed me by, me totally not seeing the forrest because of all the trees being in the way, but this, this didn't make a whole lot of sense, even within the gameworld.

• It is just the idea that Guybrush walked up the mountain without it melting and pouring it a a couple hundred feet down, when he couldn't walk what should actually, in practice, be the shorter way. In my mind, it makes absolutely no sense.

As I see it, it's getting AROUND the mountain versus getting straight on top of it.

Personally, I never saw anything illogial in that puzzle.

• 1) the game has been out a day
    2) you used hints

I wouldn't be too against this, if it's what you wanted to do, but you then made that fact public and used it to criticize the game.

Observation is a feat in monkey island games. It doesn't provide the most rewarding puzzles, but it provides the longest ones. The ones that people start hanging on, and it's in these pauses that you get to explore the game and end up getting the most out of it.

It sounds like you played this game with a mindset that would have been better suited to something else.

• @KevinSig said: There were two particular puzzles in the game that I thought could have been better.

1st complaint: The seahorse puzzle
    - I've got loads of issues with this one. First, getting Pyrite Guybrush into the chest is horridly done. I mean, the option of getting them into a staring contest doesn't always appear (I usually have to tell them to cooperate 1st). Plus, the way the camera angles are, its hard to tell the difference between when you normally distract them.

Agree. Thought first you needed to distract them with the cannon or tree logs somehow when the normal distractions didn't work

@KevinSig said:
    Finally, it isn't entirely clear that they take the artifact off island. Yes, this gets mentioned at the start of the conversation, but I wouldn't have minded a reminder when they got back. Something like: "Gee, for traveling away from the islands, it certainly didn't seem to take you long."

Don't agree. It's quite obvious that they leave the island. They "borrow" your raft for gods sake.

@KevinSig said:
    2nd complaint: The rubber tree
    - Biggest complaint with this one, is that I didn't even know the rubber tree was even there. There was no reason for me to travel back to the island & I had to look to hints to find it. If only the game would have forced you into 'discovering' it when you find the artifact. (Tripping over the tree's roots after digging it up?)

That's it. My 2 chief complaints. Just thought I'd share.

Kevin

Don't agree at all. It's well known for adventure gamers that you need to explore things several times. You would then know that it was a rubber tree.

• @Lord-z said: Actually I did click on the cliff after it fell down. It is just the idea that Guybrush walked up the mountain without it melting and pouring it a a couple hundred feet down, when he couldn't walk what should actually, in practice, be the shorter way. In my mind, it makes absolutely no sense. Often when I have gotten stuck, it has been a really obvious solution that completely passed me by, me totally not seeing the forrest because of all the trees being in the way, but this, this didn't make a whole lot of sense, even within the gameworld.

This is Monkey Island logic :) I'm glad TTG included that puzzle.

• @RockNRoll said: I didn't have to even consider looking up a walkthrough even once, which is a terrible sign for me. I agree the distracting-the-pirates puzzle was very poorly executed. Not a bad idea, though. You just couldn't tell that their orientation was even a problem before you stumble on the solution.

Yea, I figured that out by noticing that you had an option to distract them both while in the staring contest and out of it.. and there had to be a reason why you were given the option to distract them during the staring contest..

I guess it has something to do with the pirate's glass eye.

Add Comment