User Avatar Image

"Tales of Monkey Island: Enhanced Version"?

posted by Qwazin on - last edited - Viewed by 746 users

The Siege of Spinner Cay really surpassed my expectations of what I thought would be capable of making in terms of a new Monkey Island game. I really think the music, the humor and especially the storyline so far stands shoulder to shoulder with some of the best Monkey games. It takes the characters into what I hope is new territory and brings something fresh and unexpected to the series. It's up there in my top 3 right now.

With Telltale wonderfully continuing the story of Monkey Island, I feel that it's a shame how flashy graphics and live-recorded music has been mainly put to use in "Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition". It feels kind of dissatisfactory when LucasArts, the company with big budgets and money, spend their time on reviving an old game with an old story that already is fantastic, and leaves Telltale with a so-so-budget to move the series forward. Don't get me wrong, I am VERY happy things are going the way they are for Monkey Island, but once all the episodes of Tales have been released, I can't help but feel the game might risk not getting the attention it deserves because of it being somewhat weak in the graphics and musical departement. (Re-use of character models being one of the examples of the side effects of having a low budget and working towards a short deadline)

To me this IS Monkey Island 5. Once with all episodes put together I'm sure it makes for a pretty darn epic story, and when it's packaged and put on shelves in it's collected glory, I want it to stand strong with the other series installments and not age as badly as Escape from Monkey Island did. Siege of Spinner Cay shows already that Telltale is slightly improving their games episode by episode. I'm curious if pherhaps episode one will feel aged by the time the final episode is out.

The first three Monkey Island games always seemed to take big, bold steps into new territory in the graphics and music departement, and I feel this game has a great magical monkey feel that could be even more fantastic with big budget looks and sound. So my question is, once Telltale has finished all the episodes of Tales of Monkey Island, would it be a good thing to make an enchanced version of it with updated graphics, music and overall a more polished version of the game and release it as one whole game? Even if you are happy with Tales as it is, do you think it would be worth it? I dunno how much money and effort would be requierd, but I sure wouldn't mind. What do you think?

32 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Personally I LOVE the graphics, the only thing I would love is different character models and the cracks in the ground and sky to be fixes, maybe a little more differences in the jungle too, other than that I really love the graphic.

For the sound, I really liked that too, I would say live instruments would be better, but its nothing THAT BAD.

• Putting it on the shelves as a full game when the series wraps up would be great. They wouldn't need to make too many changes or improvements though, just polish a few things and go where size limitations couldn't take them before. I'm not sure if it would be received too well though since people might see it as money-grabbing, so it might help if they released some other stuff with it. For example, things have been said about Guybrush appearing in Project Natal, so that might be a nice thing to squeeze in (along with a Sam & Max episode or two maybe). Again though, not sure how likely or possible that'd be (probably not very).

• LucasArts didn't "leave" Telltale with a low budget, that's just how Telltale operates. LucasArts didn't give them money and say "Make a Monkey Island game for us", this isn't a matter of "commissioned work". They made some sort of contract under which LucasArts got some benefit for allowing Telltale to use the Monkey Island license, for whatever reason the LucasArts folks thought it was a good idea. Maybe because they'd worked with the people before, maybe because they thought "Original creators from the earlier games" would sell better, I don't know.

Telltale is just a smaller budget company. This isn't even necessarily a bad thing, considering the customer support and game quality from a lot of big-name publishers and developers.

• @Fealiks said: Putting it on the shelves as a full game when the series wraps up would be great. They wouldn't need to make too many changes or improvements though, just polish a few things and go where size limitations couldn't take them before. I'm not sure if it would be received too well though since people might see it as money-grabbing, so it might help if they released some other stuff with it. For example, things have been said about Guybrush appearing in Project Natal, so that might be a nice thing to squeeze in (along with a Sam & Max episode or two maybe). Again though, not sure how likely or possible that'd be (probably not very).

Sam and Max Season 1 was released on the Wii.
    and in the store I work in it sells really well (helps that I'm the one pitching it.)

• Would be nice with an upgrade on the sound department..
    Probably ain't gonna happen though! :) For now, let's cherish the game as it stands, and be happy there even exists a fifth Monkey Island game.

• Gameplay wise, I'd say: don't change a thing. But of course better speech quality would be welcome (although I only noticed any significant problems in e2 so far) and a good package where you select the chapters ingame instead of having separate games wouldn't hurt either.

Graphics wise, I'd have to say: what for?

• Increasing the sound quality would be very, very big improvement. Sanin92 mentioned the cracks in the ground sky and Guybrish's hand. I think that has something to do with the Wii, but I'm not sure how. It would be great if that can be fixed.
    Oh and I wouldn't mind seeing DeSinge's Lab in that Episode 2 cutscene instead of a painted backdrop.

• I have graphics and sound on maximum (9).

Sometimes it slows then jumps in moving the camera (and that's probably my machine, considering it has Vista64, only 2GB RAM and onboard graphics/sound) but apart from that, I'm happy with my graphics.

The sound when hooked up to my two-speaker hi-fi is acceptable (I'm told a 5.1 setup is required to get the best out of the game).

All the acting sounds perfectly natural, except for Elaine's, which could be at least partly due to the sound compression.

I could tolerate re-use of character base models but in a professional game, it shouldn't really happen.

There were a few typos in the voice text in ep2 (most notably 'burry' and 'Esponga'), that I'd like to see fixed for the DVD.

Game controls are jittery. On my machine, the cursor doesn't have the same responsiveness as in the other MI games or the desktop. The character movement via mouse was probably conceived for the Wii and while I've got the hang of it, I appreciate most have reverted to centuries-old arrow keys and WASD. Due to inhibited cursor movement, combining items is real pain in the neck.

Hooking all the episodes together, perhaps with chapter-specific credits being in the menu, like in SMI: SE, would be nice (it is a MI game, after all).

• I don't know. I mean it's obvious they're pushing the limits here, but to me it seems that there are far less characters and areas to explore than in a standard MI chapter, and that's a bigger problem than the graphics or sound quality imo.

• I absolutely love the game as it is but I guess an enhanced version may be good just to fix up the few bugs that appear in the game... I guess they'll fix 'em up when they release Tales onto disc...

Add Comment