User Avatar Image

Boycot the Hints

posted by Shish keJoe on - last edited - Viewed by 781 users

The game is out for like what..? 4 hours... put a little effort in finishing it yourself..!

I call for an official 48h boycott on giving information on this game!

62 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Shish keJoe said: I'm not telling you what to do... I'm just hoping that people will acually use your brain instead of asking for help at the first hard thing you run into.

Translation: If you don't play the game exactly like I do, you're stupid. Yep, absolutely stupid. You should suck it up and not play adventure games because you are stupid stupid mcstupidface and you need to get out of my Monkey Island.

Darn me and my stupid, and my sister's stupidity too! Never mind that people sometimes get stuck on legitimate glitches, or stuck trying to make things more complicated than they were (as honestly the puzzles seem too straightforward at parts).

We're all terrible stupid people and we should quit it with our stupidity and just get out of here and stop supporting Telltale or playing Monkey Island. I'll be sure to give up my dreams of academia too and go invest in a burger flipping course instead because asking for a hint means I am stupid, stupid, stupid. Yep.

• Shish keJoe, i agreed with all the replies you posted here, but completely disagree with the starting post of yours

suggesting people to use their brain is one thing
    calling for some boycott is another - and you only mentioned that in your first post

this leads me to believe you do understand that your post is ridiculous (but afraid to admit?)

my 2 cents: i like solving the riddles myself, but i will not let not noticing some cable to ruin (yes... ruin) the fun for me. if this upsets you i suggest you seek therapy
    if it bothers you so much you are trying to actually prevent others from getting hints you must have some problem...

• @SlamHammer said: Did you ever think that 3 hours later those people had been stuck for 3 hours?

If the game is out 3h how can they be stuck 3h?

@SlamHammer said: Translation: If you don't play the game exactly like I do, you're stupid. Yep, absolutely stupid. You should suck it up and not play adventure games because you are stupid stupid mcstupidface and you need to get out of my Monkey Island.

And stop making thoose childish bogus: Translation: ... replies *sigh*

[LIST=1]
    [*]I never said people looking for hints where idiots, stupid or whatever you wanna lay into my mount!
    [*]I only ask of people to actually try to get ahead by logical thinking (or thinking outside the box) as is usualy needed in Monkey Island.
    [*]The reply function is not to be used to boost your post count!
    [*]Do you want some cheese with that whine?
    [/LIST]

• @PROGAME said: Shish keJoe, i agreed with all the replies you posted here, but completely disagree with the starting post of yours

suggesting people to use their brain is one thing
    calling for some boycott is another - and you only mentioned that in your first post

this leads me to believe you do understand that your post is ridiculous (but afraid to admit?)

my 2 cents: i like solving the riddles myself, but i will not let not noticing some cable to ruin (yes... ruin) the fun for me. if this upsets you i suggest you seek therapy
    if it bothers you so much you are trying to actually prevent others from getting hints you must have some problem...

Ok so... You say that your game get ruined just 'cause >>>[Insert Name]<<< can't find let's say that Cable you where talking about? So >>>[Insert Name]<<< goes to look for help and when others say that >>>[Insert Name]<<< has gotta try and figure it out yourself. People get mad?

You by this time all seem to forget that this was originally posted 4 hours after game release... And i asked to give people who where stuck then time to figure it out themselves. What do I care now a few days have passed?
    Nothing thats how much i care!

But there are so many people who wanna show to others they know everything and jump on every oppertunity that presents itself to help others!
    But that my good man is also something you do for yourself.

If you can only feel good about yourself if you can play the know it all who has to help every joe-six-pack that struds along then you got ego problems. Give people a chance to solve it, and if you actually have to help cause they are really stuck then give a hint or a nudge in the right direction. Don't just say do that, that & that to get it solved. Just say something like i would check that island again that should be enough to get them on the right track again.

• @Shish keJoe said: Ok so... You say that your game get ruined just 'cause >>>[Insert Name]<<< can't find let's say that Cable you where talking about? So >>>[Insert Name]<<< goes to look for help and when others say that >>>[Insert Name]<<< has gotta try and figure it out yourself. People get mad?

nope, where did i say that? you can reply "try and figure it out yourself" all day for all i care
    it's the boycott idea of yours that bothers me
    asking other people not to help... i couldn't care less if YOU think you know better what is good for me...but you tried to influence others

i too prefer getting a hint and not a walkthough... but again, that's just me. i will never try to prevent others from getting any help they asked for... (ask for a hint? get a hint. ask for straight out answer- get that)

you are missing the point... 3 hours... 48 hour after the game
    why does that matter? people wrote that your post is arrogant because you think you know what's good for them... you don't... you can't... and you shouldn't try forcing your opinion

i don't know how old are you or what do you do for a living but i know i can't waste too much time on playing (i am not a gamer.... last game i played a game was probably 2001 (MI4)). if i feel i need a helping hand about 3 minutes after the next chapter is released that's my lost but my decision...if you choose not to help me that's also you decision, but please don't try to prevent me from getting help. a boycott is a violent act.

• @Shish keJoe said:
    [LIST=1]
    [*]I never said people looking for hints where idiots, stupid or whatever you wanna lay into my mount!
    [/LIST]

are the people who need hints so desperate to get through the game that at the first bump in the road they actually flee to the forums and beg others for help? Do you guys do that in real life to? If so that must be a pretty pathetic life with someone else always running behind you to clean up your crap.

Not an idiot, but we're babies with a pretty pathetic life, apparently.

Plus your condescending attitude is pretty damn hilarious. Let me put on my English-major hat here and interpret: I'm seeing some major class issues and control issues here. Perhaps you have some family members you consider stupid because they didn't follow your career path to college and the like? Perhaps you are always used to being the boss or project manager at work? Perhaps a few broken marriages in there because your wife didn't do things to your specifications?

Also, I would like some cheddar with my whine, thank you. Or maybe some nice Wensleydale.

As long as you keep replying, babycakes, I'll keep replying too. Right now this thread amounts to a whole lot of you whining that people don't play exactly like you, and if you want to keep digging that hole, who am I to deny that? It's certainly fun sport.

Edit:

And another point - you keep referencing the time. Honestly, the game is not that long. I finished it in a day of playing. My sister took two days. We're getting this game in Telltale's format of tiny little bites, not one great big entree. Don't be so angry that somebody finished their tapas more quickly than you. A lot of people will be done with the game in 48 hours, so it's perfectly understandable people will be asking for hints within three.

• @Shish keJoe said: If the game is out 3h how can they be stuck 3h?

Do you want some cheese with that whine?

Sorry but the only one that sounds like they're whining is you.

"I don't like this so I want it stopped"

That's essentially what you're saying.
    Last I checked, I lived in a free country that wasn't ruled by Shish keJoe.

You're complaining that people are ruining the game for you by posting HINTS in the HINTS Section.

If you don't want the game spoiled for you, the easiest solution is for you
    to develop some self control and keep your nose out of the HINTS Section.

Here's what it says at the very top of the hints section

"Tales of Monkey Island Hints Need some help with a puzzle?
    Spoilers are very likely in here. You've been warned."

• @SlamHammer said: You're complaining that people are ruining the game for you by posting HINTS in the HINTS Section.

And there is another case of twisting my words, I never said that people who post in hints are ruining it for me... (Simply cause i don't use 'em for getting through the game) Where did you get that? Quote me on where i said that, please? The only thing you guys are trying to to is with every post you make trying to lay words in my mounth, and stuff you seem to read between the lines of what i'm typing!
    Then again I will not be bullied out of the topic i started, cause a few people don't agree with my vieuws. I have already been called on fascism i think if i can stay here a little while longer i can actually be branded a Heretic and burned at the stake!

If you don't like what i'm talking about ignore me. Thats what i would do if i saw a topic that wast in my alley. But your lust for annonymous vengence is so big that you can't let it go. Thats why your still here in my topic venting your spleen in my face. Keep at it... you never know if it will help!

• @Shish keJoe said: You know, i like the fact that every single person that gets mad in this topic is one that needs help finishing the 2nd chapter.

From somebody who finished the second chapter without hints: You're still being a close-minded elitist.

are the people who need hints so desperate to get through the game that at the first bump in the road they actually flee to the forums and beg others for help? Do you guys do that in real life to? If so that must be a pretty pathetic life with someone else always running behind you to clean up your crap.

Or, and here's a shocking new idea, different people think differently. While it may be obvious to one person that tying a balloon to a ham will convince somebody to give you an item that they previously said they will give to you "when pigs fly" (random example, don't waste your time Googling), it may not make sense at all to a less literal-minded person until they are nudged in the right direction. That doesn't make them stupid or pathetic, nor does it make them any less worthy to play adventure games.

And here's another revelation: Some only play for the story and dialog. That's their prerogative. They paid for the game, they can play it however they wish, and for whatever reasons they deem fit. If that means effectively "skipping" the puzzles to get to the next part of the plot, so be it.

Seriously, if this is the kind of thing that gets your hackles up, perhaps you should look into a nice vacation.

Just don't search the internet for plane tickets until 48 hours have passed: I'm boycotting people who try to save money instead of solving an obtuse and elaborate puzzle that will get them a plane ticket in exchange for three pounds of clotted cream that they made by shaking a cow that was hopped up on sugar that it ate when they blew up the sugar silo with an explosive made from yarn and thumbtacks.

• @Shish keJoe said:
    If you don't like what i'm talking about ignore me.

Take your own advice.

If you don't like people asking for hints, Ignore Them, instead of starting whiny threads like this one.

This discussion has been closed.