27 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The puzzle confused me for a second, not because I thought that fool's gold wouldn't melt, but because I didn't remember that Pyrite is another word for Fool's Gold. Yes, I learned it at some point, but I had completely forgotten about it. Also, the parrot seemed like such a nice companion that I just couldn't imagine melting him down ... at least for all of five minutes.

• hehe, actually that was the first thing i tried...putting the parrot on the furnace/barbecue even before i had the coal to fire it up. guybrush seemed to be annoyed by the parrot over time and i got the impression that he liked the idea. so parrot and barbecue sounded tempting to me from the start..ragardless from what material the parrot is made and how it might behave when heated..:D

• haha I have a degree in chemistry and I didn't even think about that.. well spotted. that just makes the whole thing cooler I reckon :) really liked that puzzle!

• @wisp said: hehe, actually that was the first thing i tried...putting the parrot on the furnace/barbecue even before i had the coal to fire it up.

I detect sadistic tendencies here. You should play FPS games instead to make the politicians happy ;)

• This thread is still going on? Geez, and gamers wonder why people think they are nerds.

All that needed to be said for this thread was this: It's a game. End of. Finito. Omega.

• It's still going on, but the science stuff is pretty much over. Now it's just YATTIOTN (Yet Another Thread That Is Off-Topic Now)

• How can Ghost Pirate LeChuck exist, let alone PUNCH Guybrush into the sky? >_>

• @Ahoy De Fancypants said: This thread is still going on? Geez, and gamers wonder why people think they are nerds.

All that needed to be said for this thread was this: It's a game. End of. Finito. Omega.

I don't think gamers are nerds at all. Maybe geeks, and even then it depends on the genre. It's not hard to be surprised by how many dumb gamers there are, and I hardly think nerds fall within the definition of dumb.

And really, are gamers surprised people think they're geeks? Are they really?

• @Jerec84 said: How can Ghost Pirate LeChuck exist, let alone PUNCH Guybrush into the sky? >_>

Just because it's sci fi doesn't mean there can't be some ground rules. I mean for gods sake, Guybrush can hold his breath for 10 minutes. Everything has a reason to it. The only reason I can imagine they would make pyrite meltable is because it was manipulated by the voodoo lady--and that's it.

• In real life, can't you place pyrite in a vacuum and pull it out before it boils? Voila - molten pyrite!

I did notice it was sulphur yellow but didn't think anything more of it, considering I've played Indy2 recently (where you had to drop molten lava into an ancient machine to get a precious metal back).

I was more upset I was being forced to kill off a character I've grown very fond of. So I was very relieved at the end to see the merleader resurrect it.

If we really need an explanation as to why we were able to melt pyrite on an ancient open air grill (which we don't), I don't think we need to look further than the Voodoo Lady. She foresaw our need and used her voodoo powers such to manipulate science. I thought it was quite funny to see a flat yellow turtle squawking "It's me, Guybrush Threepwood: Mighty Pirate!"

Add Comment