User Avatar Image

Wallace and Gromit demo crashes on startup unless i disconnect from the internet.

posted by DjNDB on - last edited - Viewed by 1.2K users

Here's some awesome bug i can reliably reproduce on my System.

EDIT 1: Just after writing this it now works even with the active internet connection. I'll look into it. Just sad i can't debug it now.

EDIT 2: Some moments later it went back to it's buggy behavior. I made a video this time and will upload and link it here.

EDIT 3 The video demonstration is online now.

The Wallace and Gromit demo crashes on startup unless i disconnect from the internet.
I know it sounds crazy, but I tried it a bunch of times in each situation to make sure the internet connection really is responsible for the bug.
The crash is not just the application process disappearing like in several other cases. It throws an error message. In German it is "WalaceGromitDemo funktioniert nicht mehr". I don't know exactly how the English one is, but it translates to something like "WalaceGromitDemo has stopped working" which I read in a different thread.

At first i just deactivated the network interface in Windows and tested the game several times.
I wasn't sure why it helped, therefore for the next test I disconnected my Internet connection in my router with the same result.

But now it get's really strange. The demo worked before i installed my new graphics card, a Radeon 4850. I have not reinstalled the game since then, therefore data corruption is very unlikely. However i don't know what else has changed softwarewies. It's been a time I played the demo, and since then there were several windows update cycles.
I would try what happens when I reinstall the Nvidia 7600 GT again, but i don't want to change anything big now to keep the bug reproducable.
AS you can see i am more interested in debugging than getting it running, therefore i am not looking for support in this case.

My guess the game tries to connect to telltale, and gets an invalid response of some kind, which causes a buffer overflow which crashes the game.

Maybe something similar is the cause for some of the other startup crashes we see in this forum.

If i am in a good mood i'll check what is transfered before and during the crash with wireshark.

I hope we can figure this out.

For now I'll attach my zipped DxDiag.txt. If you could use any other information for debugging, just ask.
I am confident i can handle it.

27 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@Shauntron
    Speaking of the Internet Explorer.

Are you guys at TTG prepared for the Windows 7 release in October?
    In Europe it will be delivered without any Version of Internet Explorer.
    Since the Launcher depends on it the game would not work on European systems unless the Internet Explorer is installed manually.
    That could lead to a lot of angry support requests by people getting forced to install it, if it's not dealt with carefully.

Because of that and the dependency on specific versions as this bug shows you might want to consider developing a new launcher, maybe one that checks whether a minimal browser/HTML-renderer provided by you is installed and otherwise downloads it.

EDIT 1: There is a chance that the Internet Explorer will be installed anyway, but can be deactivated. Whatever that means.

• I'd like to add my experience, running ToMI on a Dell Vostro 1500, Chrome browser, WinXP, and Directx9.0c.

ToMI was working fine this morning. I played the game a bit in the jungle, and then tried the "treasure hunt" minigame. I got the first map, and went to the site to see the exclusive background treasure.

When I tried to load ToMI later, it would freeze on a white screen after the Lucasarts and TellTale logos come up, before the menu screen appears.

Now, it only loads as DjNDB suggests: when I unplug my internet wire.

Is it possible that the Treasure Hunt feature is crashing the game at the menu?

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@quesofreak said:
    Now, it only loads as DjNDB suggests: when I unplug my internet wire.

Is it possible that the Treasure Hunt feature is crashing the game at the menu?

I don't feel like speculating at this point. What is your Internet Explorer Version?

• @DjNDB said: That's a good solution i guess. Might not work with the treasure hunt though, because it sends data to the website, and i don't think it will do that at a later point without starting the game.

I am confident that this information will be valuable for telltale and help them to debug the issue.

I wonder if this also occurs in Windows XP with the same IE8 version.

Yeah, treasure hunt does not work -- but hopefully your detective work will help telltale solve the problem. Thanks for all of your hard work with this.

• @DjNDB said: I wonder if this also occurs in Windows XP with the same IE8 version.

I'm also having this problem, I'm running Windows XP Professional SP3 and I have IE version 8.0.6001.18812 installed.

• I have just been playing the game with wireless turned off. Has telltale ever fixed this problem?

• I'm having the same issues with W&G.

The funny part of it is, I've played all of S&M Seasons 1 & 2, ToMI Episodes 1 & 2, and the first W&G episode FotB without issues.

I have played many of the episodes post-install of IE8 without issue until now.

It seemed to work for me as well once I disabled my internet connection.

Hopefully this gets resolved.

Thanks!

• Just had the same problem here with the W&G demo on Vista Home Premium SP2 + IE8. Telltale, is there any progress on solving this?

• Same deal, Vista Home Premium 64-Bit, will show the Telltale and Aardman logo if lucky then throw me out, works fine with the internet connection disabled though. Don't have this problem with TOMI though, it's a shame cos i'm on a Telltale binge at the moment and just finished Sam & Max Season 2 and wanted to dip into W&G's demo just to see how well our Yank friends got on with the British humour

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@JedExodus said: Same deal, Vista Home Premium 64-Bit, will show the Telltale and Aardman logo if lucky then throw me out, works fine with the internet connection disabled though. Don't have this problem with TOMI though, it's a shame cos i'm on a Telltale binge at the moment and just finished Sam & Max Season 2 and wanted to dip into W&G's demo just to see how well our Yank friends got on with the British humour

Luckily the bug seems to be restricted to the Demo only.
    I did not run into the problem with any W&G Episode or other TTG Series even after reinstalling Internet Explorer 8.
    Your best option is to start the demo without internet connection.

Add Comment