User Avatar Image

Why are these episodes so damn easy?

posted by XuGator on - last edited - Viewed by 405 users

What is the audience for these games? I think my 7 year old brother would beat this with no problems

Hopefully Telltale makes some more difficult puzzles. I mean - we have to wait for months between episdoes, lets at least make each episode somewhat challenging.

I think I spent less than an hour total on episode 2.

125 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @XuGator said: What is the audience for these games? I think my 7 year old brother would beat this with no problems

Hopefully Telltale makes some more difficult puzzles. I mean - we have to wait for months between episdoes, lets at least make each episode somewhat challenging.

I think I spent less than an hour total on episode 2.

Well, some of us aren't gifted with the talent of adventure gaming. Took me 2 days. I wanted to enjoy it. Plus, just because it was easy to you doesn't mean it's easy to others.

• I just think they could create this a lot more difficult. I mean....we all have a month to play and most people are finished within a couple of days at the most

• @XuGator said: What is the audience for these games? I think my 7 year old brother would beat this with no problems

I beat Secret as a five year-old. I know a ten year-old that got through Secret without hints or help in about a week. The Monkey Island games have never been particularly difficult really, a few really unfair puzzles aside. LucasArts was never exactly Infocom.

Hopefully Telltale makes some more difficult puzzles. I mean - we have to wait for months between episdoes
    A month. Singular.

@XuGator said: I just think they could create this a lot more difficult. I mean....we all have a month to play and most people are finished within a couple of days at the most
    That seems like oblong logic. We have a week between TV episodes, but neither we nor the producers of the show are expected to stretch that episode's content across the entirety of the week. It's a thing that you get once a month because that's the release schedule that makes sense, not because it's supposed to "last" you that long.

All the same, I would always like to see well-devised puzzles. A stupid puzzle that is difficult only by the virtue that it is completely obtuse and indecipherable is not fun. Neither is a puzzle that simply involves locating a minuscule bauble of indeterminable worth. I used to believe that it did, simply because the amount of time it wasted was larger, but in the end it goes against the idea of a puzzle in the first place.

Still, Telltale's games are getting to the point where they feel like they bend over backwards to get the player to the correct solution, and puzzles sometimes even seem to solve themselves. The best puzzles are always the ones that have more logical complexity.

• I think it's impossible to finish the game under an hour if you aren't skipping through all the dialogue and cutscenes.
    Let's say each episode is about 3 hours to play (for those who aren't leet adventurers), that would mean that the whole season would take around 15 hours to complete. That's pretty impressive and much longer than the traditional adventure game.

Also, some puzzles are easy but I'm ok with that, they don't seem too outrageous and make sense most of the time. But what I wouldn't mind seeing are Myst style puzzles. That would slow people down ;)

• I personally didn't find them too easy, especially manning-up and going no hints. You don't want them to be too hard anyway, that's when they stop being fun.

@Marty said: I think it's impossible to finish the game under an hour if you aren't skipping through all the dialogue and cutscenes.
    Let's say each episode is about 3 hours to play (for those who aren't leet adventurers), that would mean that the whole season would take around 25 hours to complete. That's pretty impressive and much longer than the traditional game.

Um, your math is off a bit. If each episode took 3 hours then the whole season would take around 15 hours. I'd give each episode an average of 3 and a half hours to complete which would average the season out to about 17–18 hours.

Also, the episodes should get gradually harder from here on out.

• If we consider each episode as chapters of a single game, as TT seems to be designing it, then it would be logical that the game gets progressively harder as next episodes arrive.

And I'm glad we have inventory combination as it's one thing that was missing from Sam & Max games.

I think TT is making a good job, especially as most puzzles are fairly logical, something you can't tell about most adventure games.

And no pixel hunting here, which is great. As least the difficulty is real and not because of bad design.

• People should stop making threads like these. Just because you found it easy, does not mean others have. Kind of an indirect insult to other people who take longer to figure out the puzzles. They're easy because you figure out puzzles easily, there you go. And less than an hour? Wow, take some time to enjoy the game. There's no way you beat it in less than an hour without skipping over dozens of great lines, jokes, and dialogue.

• Maybe i'm just bad at adventure games but I thought chapter two was pretty challenging without a walkthrough and i'm 17.

• @darknessofheart said: People should stop making threads like these. Just because you found it easy, does not mean others have. Kind of an indirect insult to other people who take longer to figure out the puzzles. They're easy because you figure out puzzles easily, there you go. And less than an hour? Wow, take some time to enjoy the game. There's no way you beat it in less than an hour without skipping over dozens of great lines, jokes, and dialogue.

Compared to earlier Monkey Island games I think the puzzles are easier, I think. Whether you're good at solving puzzles or not.

Add Comment