User Avatar Image

Why are these episodes so damn easy?

posted by XuGator on - last edited - Viewed by 629 users

What is the audience for these games? I think my 7 year old brother would beat this with no problems

Hopefully Telltale makes some more difficult puzzles. I mean - we have to wait for months between episdoes, lets at least make each episode somewhat challenging.

I think I spent less than an hour total on episode 2.

125 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think they're easy, but maybe I've just gotten better at adventure games. Most people complaining about the difficulty are probably adventure game vets.

• @brian.shapiro said: Compared to earlier Monkey Island games I think the puzzles are easier, I think. Whether you're good at solving puzzles or not.

I don't know, it all goes back to just how keen you can be in solving puzzles. I found some of these puzzles to be much harder than in past games, and many of the puzzles in past games to be easy. I think everyone has a knack for certain puzzles and have a cord with other puzzles.

Also remember, the last game came out over eight years ago. You are now eight years older and wiser. That could be a major reason why these puzzles appear easier than the other ones in past games. We were all much younger when the other four games came out.

• Eh, both episodes have been a lot easier than the hardest Sam and Max episodes, so, personally, I think the difficulty should be raised a bit. (Unless Telltale is purposefully making them easier since Monkey Island is more well known franchise and would attract a wider audience).

Also, I don't think it's insulting to say it's easy. The game has a hint system for people who have difficulty solving the puzzles. However, if people, like the OP and myself, are finding the game with hints turned off too easy, then something should be done about it. This also wouldn't effect people who find it hard already, because, once again, they have the hint system to help them.

• @turingmachine604 said: Eh, both episodes have been a lot easier than the hardest Sam and Max episodes, so, personally, I think the difficulty should be raised a bit. (Unless Telltale is purposefully making them easier since Monkey Island is more well known franchise and would attract a wider audience).

Also, I don't think it's insulting to say it's easy. The game has a hint system for people who have difficulty solving the puzzles. However, if people, like the OP and myself, are finding the game with hints turned off too easy, then something should be done about it. This also wouldn't effect people who find it hard already, because, once again, they have the hint system to help them.

I really don't think Telltale is purposely making it easy though. There seems to be a lot of people who have had a hard time with the game, so it doesn't seem to be all that big of a problem.

• I think the problem is Telltale's default setting of "hints" to "sometimes" - people often don't realize that having this setting means characters will more often then not blatantly point the player in the right direction.

If you find the episodes too easy with the hints turned off, I suggest pulling out some old-school point-and-clickers. Preferably Sierra ones where you die all the time and have to reset all the time because you constantly miss some item from half a game ago.

• @spiffy_the_dog said: I think the problem is Telltale's default setting of "hints" to "sometimes" - people often don't realize that having this setting means characters will more often then not blatantly point the player in the right direction.

If you find the episodes too easy with the hints turned off, I suggest pulling out some old-school point-and-clickers. Preferably Sierra ones where you die all the time and have to reset all the time because you constantly miss some item from half a game ago.

This.

Took me 4-5 hours to complete the game with the hints turned all the way to the left (lowest), and that to my mind is a decent length for an episode.

When I heard that many people had only taken 2 hours to finish it though I started to wonder if maybe I had just taken too long to solve the puzzles, until I realised that most of them had not changed the hints from default at all.

• Yeah, i agree, the game is a lil' too easy.

I understand that Telltale wanted to make this game friendly for the more "casual gamer" but it is just to easy. I mean, i am no hardcore gamer but i would prefer the game more challenging. I remember Curse of Monkey Island having two difficulty settings. Perhaps Telltale could introduce this idea back into the game?

• I for some reason could not find the bucket.

• @Idi0tic said:
    I understand that Telltale wanted to make this game friendly for the more "casual gamer" but it is just to easy. I mean, i am no hardcore gamer but i would prefer the game more challenging. I remember Curse of Monkey Island having two difficulty settings. Perhaps Telltale could introduce this idea back into the game?

Turning the hints off effectively creates a "hard" difficulty setting.

Also, MI2's and MI3's "easy" difficulty setting was essentially the same game but with many of the puzzles pre-solved or cut out. I never saw the point of that. If I wanted an adventure game with LESS puzzles, I might just as well watch a cartoon while wiggling a mouse in one hand.

Add Comment