User Avatar Image

The Unoffically Official Morgan LeFlay Appreciation Thread

posted by BobTGoldfish on - last edited - Viewed by 2.8K users

So yeah.

I'm not going to lie. I am a massive fan of this addition to the the Monkeyverse.

So I'm starting up the Morgan LeFlay Appreciation thread for those of us that are of like mind.

I love the dynamic she brings to the game, and the possibilites.

Was The 'Brush joking when he asked her to sail away with him to pillage and plunder? Who knows? all I know is I think it's going to bug a LOT of people for a month!

I also really dub her character design, something a little more overtly sexual about it, that would usually give her the upper hand over most pirates, but it doesn't faze our favorite mighty Pirate.

though am I the only one that noticed in the opening swordfight that Guybrush made NO offensive strikes, instead only parrying and swatting away morgans incoming attacks.. something I thought was pretty chivalrous.

anyway.. let the discussion begin!

130 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Rather Dashing said: I honestly think that she, in most respects, is far more competent than Guybrush himself.

Competency. Oh she is more than likely more competent in many aspects of life that the 'Brush, but I feel he is her match when it comes to Piratey wiles.

Doesn't that more imply that she had an upper hand rather than Guybrush being chivalrous(also known as belittling a person's ability based on their gender)?

Oh come off it, Chivalry is NOT belittling someone. It is doing something NICE for someone simply because you can. Opening a door for someone, helping them with something, what ever. It needn't be man to woman, it can be any combination of those genders.

It seemed to me that the overall tone of the scene was that LeFlay was simply in charge. She grappled on without being detected, tied up the mate, cut off the hand, and engaged Guybrush without giving him much of a chance to strike(though he does get one in if you spend long enough messing with the puzzle). I think it was less that Guybrush was unwilling and more that he was unable.

I'm not going to deny that LeFlay was in control of the overall situation, she put guybrush in a position few have even after 4 and a bit games. However go back again and watch the animation, watch guybrush. He doesn't seem to be defending in a panic, or parrying to save his life, it's somewhat blase, as if he could do it all after noon hence the "Aren't you tired yet?" comment. As if he is trying to wear her out rather than beat her. I'm not saying she isn't VERY VERY good, I'm saying in that scene, Guybrush seems to be in Easy mode. (this could very well be due to the animations and not intended, bit it is how it came across to me.) Plus I think we're Romanticizing it a bit lol

Or Telltale only wanted to/could afford to do one set of animations. :)

true enough. ;)

• @BobTGoldfish said: Competency. Oh she is more than likely more competent in many aspects of life that the 'Brush, but I feel he is her match when it comes to Piratey wiles.

And it seems to me that she's more competent in just about everything *but* holding her breath underwater. ;)

Oh come off it, Chivalry is NOT belittling someone. It is doing something NICE for someone simply because you can. Opening a door for someone, helping them with something, what ever. It needn't be man to woman, it can be any combination of those genders.

He's in a life-or-death situation and someone says he's not attacking because she's a woman. I don't see how that would be anything but condescending.

I'm not going to deny that LeFlay was in control of the overall situation, she put guybrush in a position few have even after 4 and a bit games. However go back again and watch the animation, watch guybrush. He doesn't seem to be defending in a panic, or parrying to save his life, it's somewhat blase, as if he could do it all after noon hence the "Aren't you tired yet?" comment. As if he is trying to wear her out rather than beat her. I'm not saying she isn't VERY VERY good, I'm saying in that scene, Guybrush seems to be in Easy mode. (this could very well be due to the animations and not intended, bit it is how it came across to me.)

I don't think the animation itself was supposed to convey too much other than "Swordfight". And anyway, the "Aren't you tired yet?" line heavily implied to me that he was just trying to find any humorous excuse out of a situation that was impossible without a stupid situation set in place by an adventure game puzzle.

Plus I think we're Romanticizing it a bit lol

Oh, definitely. ;)

• For that entire scene, I was looking for a way to get him to jump into the ocean, just as a way to beat her.

• @tbm1986 said: For that entire scene, I was looking for a way to get him to jump into the ocean, just as a way to beat her.

The moment I saw the Seagull with the hand, I knew the fish had to come into play somehow. wasn't sure how though.

but it does occur to me that if PoxElaine got pissed because the 'Brush said he didn't trust LeChuck, Imagine her reaction when she finds out that Morgan is a Woman and took his wedding ring lol

• @BobTGoldfish said: The moment I saw the Seagull with the hand, I knew the fish had to come into play somehow. wasn't sure how though.

but it does occur to me that if PoxElaine got pissed because the 'Brush said he didn't trust LeChuck, Imagine her reaction when she finds out that Morgan is a Woman and took his wedding ring lol

As soon as I saw the barrel of fish tied to the mast I knew it had to come into play. Otherwise there wouldn't be a barrel of fish there.

And if you try doing something at one point you hear winslow shout from the cabin something like "Do I hear someone messing with the fish barrel?"

• I see a cute love story coming, a divorce from miss Threepwood, and a lot of funny love-comedy situations.
    I always looked for the "enemy-becomes-lover" situations. It's pretty rare...

• @Amaterasu said: I see a cute love story coming, a divorce from miss Threepwood, and a lot of funny love-comedy situations.
    I always looked for the "enemy-becomes-lover" situations. It's pretty rare...

She already Idolises him.

• @BobTGoldfish said: She already Idolises him.

Enough to.. Oh, I don't know.. Kill Elaine to marry Guybrush Threepwood?!?

• Nothing more romantic than marrying your wife's murderer.

• @nikasaur said: Nothing more romantic than marrying your wife's murderer.

Yep. nothing more romantic. :rolleyes: Then again, this is a world of pirates...

Add Comment