User Avatar Image

"Tales of Monkey Island: Enhanced Version"?

posted by Qwazin on - last edited - Viewed by 411 users

The Siege of Spinner Cay really surpassed my expectations of what I thought would be capable of making in terms of a new Monkey Island game. I really think the music, the humor and especially the storyline so far stands shoulder to shoulder with some of the best Monkey games. It takes the characters into what I hope is new territory and brings something fresh and unexpected to the series. It's up there in my top 3 right now.

With Telltale wonderfully continuing the story of Monkey Island, I feel that it's a shame how flashy graphics and live-recorded music has been mainly put to use in "Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition". It feels kind of dissatisfactory when LucasArts, the company with big budgets and money, spend their time on reviving an old game with an old story that already is fantastic, and leaves Telltale with a so-so-budget to move the series forward. Don't get me wrong, I am VERY happy things are going the way they are for Monkey Island, but once all the episodes of Tales have been released, I can't help but feel the game might risk not getting the attention it deserves because of it being somewhat weak in the graphics and musical departement. (Re-use of character models being one of the examples of the side effects of having a low budget and working towards a short deadline)

To me this IS Monkey Island 5. Once with all episodes put together I'm sure it makes for a pretty darn epic story, and when it's packaged and put on shelves in it's collected glory, I want it to stand strong with the other series installments and not age as badly as Escape from Monkey Island did. Siege of Spinner Cay shows already that Telltale is slightly improving their games episode by episode. I'm curious if pherhaps episode one will feel aged by the time the final episode is out.

The first three Monkey Island games always seemed to take big, bold steps into new territory in the graphics and music departement, and I feel this game has a great magical monkey feel that could be even more fantastic with big budget looks and sound. So my question is, once Telltale has finished all the episodes of Tales of Monkey Island, would it be a good thing to make an enchanced version of it with updated graphics, music and overall a more polished version of the game and release it as one whole game? Even if you are happy with Tales as it is, do you think it would be worth it? I dunno how much money and effort would be requierd, but I sure wouldn't mind. What do you think?

32 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Qwazin said: So my question is, once Telltale has finished all the episodes of Tales of Monkey Island, would it be a good thing to make an enchanced version of it with updated graphics, music and overall a more polished version of the game and release it as one whole game? Even if you are happy with Tales as it is, do you think it would be worth it? I dunno how much money and effort would be requierd, but I sure wouldn't mind. What do you think?

No, No and no. There is nothing wrong with the game except the voice quality in one occasion in Episode 2.

• A united, continuous version with less compressed voices would be quite enough for me to feel like I got something special on the disc version. An arranged soundtrack would be a lovely bonus too. Actually spending a lot of money remaking things feels a bit over-the-top to me.

• It all depends on what you want, I think it'd be nice if there was a version on the CD that has all the episodes glued together to make it a single game.

I don't think it'd be worth doing if it's a lot of effort though, they've got to get the Brains Trust to get together series 2 after all. :-)

• I think the quality overall is certainly acceptable. Although I wouldn't be disappointed if they used higher quality sound for the official CD/DVD, I think it's pretty darn good as it is.

It's already been said many times, but I do agree that all the chapters should be stitched together as one big game for the final release though. I really, really hope they do it that way. :)

• I hope its all put together too.... a ton of people seem to want it... they should give the people what they want.

• in all honesty there catering more to the casual gamer/old skool adventure market, both of which dont really care about flash graphics/dont have the pc powerful enough to have flash graphics so i doubt a special edition wouls sell much -

i mean we've allready had a ton of people complaining their aicient pcs or laptops with integrated graphics chips cant run tales as it is! personally now im a bit of a gfx freak, i like upgrading my pc and playing games with the best grphics like crysis etc but sadly im in a minority.

• @KevinD872 said: I think the quality overall is certainly acceptable. Although I wouldn't be disappointed if they used higher quality sound for the official CD/DVD, I think it's pretty darn good as it is.

It's already been said many times, but I do agree that all the chapters should be stitched together as one big game for the final release though. I really, really hope they do it that way. :)

So do i, but then we would loose the awesome Murray Credits. Unless they were put in as an extra, or alternate credits.

As for the quality, Coming from someone who owns both wiiware chapters (only two are out in the UK) and now the PC versions (i swapped. It's still cheaper on PC for the whole set than buying the last three wiiware episodes) I think the quality is perfect on the PC version (minus a few bugs, like the Voodoo smoke on guybrushes hand turning square, or Lechuck being replaced by a black ball in chapter two (after revisitng the island after breaking through the blockade). The wii version however, desperately needs a disc release. It's just So painfully inferior. I lived with the Crashes, and low res graphics because i was so starved of Monkies, but it just isn't right that wii owners pay more for an inferior version.

• @Friar said: So do i, but then we would loose the awesome Murray Credits. Unless they were put in as an extra, or alternate credits.

As for the quality, Coming from someone who owns both wiiware chapters (only two are out in the UK) and now the PC versions (i swapped. It's still cheaper on PC for the whole set than buying the last three wiiware episodes) I think the quality is perfect on the PC version (minus a few bugs, like the Voodoo smoke on guybrushes hand turning square, or Lechuck being replaced by a black ball in chapter two (after revisitng the island after breaking through the blockade). The wii version however, desperately needs a disc release. It's just So painfully inferior. I lived with the Crashes, and low res graphics because i was so starved of Monkies, but it just isn't right that wii owners pay more for an inferior version.

I reckon there should be a switch in options for end-of-chapter credits and also a skip button during end-of-chapter credits.

The WiiWare quality and price are in the hands of Nintendo. I'm willing to bet TT only get about £4 for every episode sold on there. As for releasing it on disc, this is more expensive and TT must have thought about this first.

• @tbm1986 said: I reckon there should be a switch in options for end-of-chapter credits and also a skip button during end-of-chapter credits.

The WiiWare quality and price are in the hands of Nintendo. I'm willing to bet TT only get about £4 for every episode sold on there. As for releasing it on disc, this is more expensive and TT must have thought about this first.

The quality could be alot better on a disc though. Especially if they make it dual layered. Considering that i would pay £35 ($60) for a normal, fully functional disc game (same price as all the episodes on wiiware, if points are bought from Shop channel, otherwise price=£40+) It is a bit of a ripoff. Also, considering that the PC version comes as a disc anyway, costs can't be that much more on wii.

• User Avatar Image
    Tea

An 'enhanced' version to me would be CoMI style.

Add Comment