User Avatar Image

Ron's Silence

posted by hplikelike on - last edited - Viewed by 300 users

Does anyone else find it interesting that Ron Gilbert has said nothing about his opinions of Tales of monkey island? Do you think it's because he's afraid it would hurt sales? If so, he probably should stay quite. (I want Telltale to do well). What do you guys think?

EDIT: I wounder what Tim thinks too...

63 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I think he once described DeathSpank as Diablo meets Monkey Island, so I'm sure there are adventure game elements in it.

• Actually it looks pretty weak to me, from what I have read and seen of it, so I would have to say no to that question...

There's barely anything to read and see, tho...
    I have no idea what to expect out of it but i admit i'm pretty interested.

• According to Ron Gilbert himself, Deathspank will be a cross between Monkey Island and Diablo; An Adventuregame RPG in other words..
    For me that's definitely intriguing, but I sure hope it will be less platformish than Hothead Games' Penny Arcade episodes.

• Ron's moved on from Monkey Island long time ago...

And I don't think Ron's opinions are really important at this point. If we're lucky, Ron will somehow get a chance to continue story as he intended from MI2 onwards and we will perhaps find out the real Secret of Monkey Island whatever that might have been. More likely Ron will provide occasional input for Tales (how much depends very much on the Telltale team and himself) but nothing major.

But all in all at this point I think Monkey Island is much more important to fans of the series then to Ron. People move on, you know...

• DeathSpank will be on display and playable (apparently) at PAX in a couple weeks. Can't wait to check it out!

• I wonder if DeathSpank will be a spiritual successor of sorts (unintentionally) to Quest for Glory's approach to an RPG/Adventure hybrid game...from an ex-LucasArts adventure developer's point of view rather than a Sierra developer's point of view.

• I wonder if rons said anything about TMI just not in interviews like to tht TT staff when he was giveing input

• User Avatar Image
    Bas

@MusicallyInspired said: I wonder if DeathSpank will be a spiritual successor of sorts (unintentionally) to Quest for Glory's approach to an RPG/Adventure hybrid game...from an ex-LucasArts adventure developer's point of view rather than a Sierra developer's point of view.

Apparently Ron was kind of a fan of Quest for Glory, so it's not that far-fetched an idea.

Add Comment