User Avatar Image

What's with the overtones of this?

posted by Caribbean Queen on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users

Hey - what's with all the gay overtones in this saga? In the first episode the Marquis was all freaky - especially that groaning puzzle solution....but now this second episode is almost like a one-trick pony. The mer-people with their gender ambiguity, the Isle of Ewe comments, the Morgan comments about DeSinge wanting the "whole package." Etc etc etc. I'm as open-minded as they come, but this is over the top. WTH? This game is for kids too. And frankly, the whole lumberjack/good for 24 hours/hey sailor stuff is starting to bother me. Slimy.:mad::confused:

75 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Caribbean Queen said: This game is for kids too.

Not necessarily...? It's 10+, isn't it? I've never thought of MI as an entirely "kid-friendly" franchise anyway, because of the innuendo (gay or otherwise), not to mention various disturbing elements (MI2 is pure nightmare fuel even for me at some points).

Speaking of, there's plenty of innuendo to go around in the previous games, too. It's hardly new in Tales. A lot of it is what you read into it, too...hence bobdevis's Freud comment. The "whole package" thing with Morgan and DeSinge, for instance--didn't even register on my radar for any kind of innuendo.

As for the mer-folk: sure, their gender is ambiguous. They're fish. What did you expect? Personally, though, I read Anemone as female (or as close to female as mer-people get), so...just your regular heterosexual innuendo, there. Your mileage may vary.

• I don't feel it has to much gay-jokes in (and I belive Alemonade and Beluga are female and librarian is male).
    And you can't denny the existance of gay (and woman in their bras) people for any reason. You may like it and you may like it not, but they're still there.

• "Ahoy there, fancy pants!"

'nuff said.

• They beauty of vague suggestions is that you only pick them up if you have a dirty mind yourself.
    10 year old kinds are therefore quite safe as they will totally miss them.

• It's called spell-checker....but eye gess speeling is two heard fro sum peeple.:)

• @Tyraa Rane said: Not necessarily...? It's 10+, isn't it? I've never thought of MI as an entirely "kid-friendly" franchise anyway, because of the innuendo (gay or otherwise), not to mention various disturbing elements (MI2 is pure nightmare fuel even for me at some points).

I played Secret of Monkey Island when I was five.

As for the mer-folk: sure, their gender is ambiguous. They're fish. What did you expect? Personally, though, I read Anemone as female (or as close to female as mer-people get), so...just your regular heterosexual innuendo, there. Your mileage may vary.

I read Anemone as a flamboyant transvestite or crossdresser. =p

Monkey Island's fanbase have grown along with the series, and innuendo isn't new to it. Anyone remember Largo's bra?

• If the merfolk have no concept of gender they may be asexual not gay or bi or straight

• Oh I get it now. This whole thread is a flame bait.
    Caribbean Queen is not actually serious. He just wants lots of replies. Caribbean Queen, Drama Queen.... clever...

• Hey bobdevis keep it clean this is no place for your flam(ing) war of words. It's just my opinion - honor it - the jokes are obvious for a 10 year old and anyone who thinks a 10 year old doesn't "get the gay" is really uber-naive. Kids are pretty savvy. This game isn't just for adults - it is for children too. Maybe it just isn't suitable for kids. Pity.

This discussion has been closed.