User Avatar Image

Morgan Le fay?

posted by Doomduck on - last edited - Viewed by 478 users

Did you guys know that there is a person named Morgan Le Fay..?
http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_le_Fay
Morgan Leflay's name is obiously based this person..

Just wondering if this is something that was not known, sorry if this is common knowledge.. Did a quick search but it said "Le" and "fay" were both to short or something so it only searched on "Morgan"

:o:confused:

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize i linked the Norwegian wiki page xD
There is a link to the english one below..

31 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I got the connection myself, but then I've read some of the different versions of the Arthur legend (took a medieval British lit class in college). Morgan was a sorceress.

The English wiki on Morgan has more info on her: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_le_Fay

Incidentally, there is also a character on Stargate named Morgan La Fay (meant to be the same character; they essentially retconned Morgan into an alien ascended being).

• @Jace Taran said: Incidentally, there is also a character on Stargate named Morgan La Fay (meant to be the same character; they essentially retconned Morgan into an alien ascended being).

I had recognised the reference from the paper in Ch.1 (in fact I originally read it as Fay) but could not remember where I had heard it before. When looking at the Wikipedia link posted in an earlier thread, I knew I had heard the name from something referencing the Arthurian legend, rather than the legend itself. I'm sure Stargate is where I had heard it.

• Le Marquis de Singe can also be considered a play off the Marquis de Sade + Singe, meaning "monkey" in French. A lot of the names come 'round full circle, they're catchy in that right.

• De Sade wasn't even half bad as de Singe - de Sade was just a writer and self proclaimed philosopher with sick imagination and twisted view on estetics (but his books lacks realism - no man can survive such things - I know, I've read them).

• @Jace Taran said: I got the connection myself, but then I've read some of the different versions of the Arthur legend (took a medieval British lit class in college). Morgan was a sorceress.

IMO reference was quite obvious. But I just wanted to say that you don't have to study English literature to recognise the name. I would say that the legends became well known in most of the Europe during the middle ages and large number of new Arthurian stories were written also in many other European languages. Chrétien de Troyes and Wolfram von Eschenbach are probably most famous continental writers who wrote about Arthur and his knights.

French writers certainly did contribute a lot to Morgan character, although I think that good old Geoffrey of Monmouth was first to mention her.

• haha, I saw the name on TV one day, and I was like... wait, what did that say?

• @Olaus Petrus said: IMO reference was quite obvious. But I just wanted to say that you don't have to study English literature to recognise the name. I would say that the legends became well known in most of the Europe during the middle ages and large number of new Arthurian stories were written also in many other European languages. Chrétien de Troyes and Wolfram von Eschenbach are probably most famous continental writers who wrote about Arthur and his knights.

French writers certainly did contribute a lot to Morgan character, although I think that good old Geoffrey of Monmouth was first to mention her.

I personally had never heard the name before my class (or perhaps it was Stargate where I heard it first). The name Morgan le Fay is nowhere near as engrained into collective culture as Merlin.

• I suppose its more likely to be known by Europeans and in particular Brits of to whom it is more relevant historically. I say historically in the broadest terms possible of course.
    In anycase, I'm fairly suprised at the number of people who didn't recognise the name.

• So she's Fata Morgana in italian.
    Without the L, of course.
    :)

• In my motherland they call her Morgana. I probably wouldn't have recodnised the name, but due to my deep Farscape love, I watched season 9 and 10 of Stargate (Erun & Crichton RULE!). So yeah, I made the connection pretty easy.

Add Comment