User Avatar Image

Brutal Legend

posted by Wolfstar27 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

I know this hasnt got anything to do with Monkey Island,But is anyone looking forward to this game done by Tim Schafer and starring Jack Black...coming out on October 16th in the UK

88 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Anyone who likes metal, hack 'n slash, Jack Black, OR Tim Schafer should like this game.

    Luckily, I love ALL of those things.

  • @Linque said: Mixed feelings. I was hyped at first, but I've got pretty bored of hack and slash games in general.


    The game seems a bit more like an in-between between hack and slash and zelda, though. There are puzzles and exploration and a big continuous world.

  • @Tyraa Rane said: Then came the first of the marketing bonanza, with the spurting testosterone and gratuitous use of scantily clad, impossibly built women as props for the main character, and/or to sell the game.


    Honeslty, this is one of the few times you can say those sorts are completely justified by the game's concept. You can't have a game based on the world of heavy metal covers and frank frazetta paintings without amazonian warrior women.

    Trust me, this is NOT a game driven by marketing. Schafer had to fight hard to keep from compromising his vision for the sake of marketing, in fact. @Tyraa Rane said: Psychonauts was a rather outdated platformer upon release - especially when the likes of Ratchet & Clank and Jak and Daxter were still in full effect
    In the sense that it was a platformer, perhaps. J&D and R&C were cartoony mascot games that happened to have a jump button, but they were holding onto "platformer" gameplay by a strand.

  • @Frogacuda said: J&D and R&C were cartoony mascot games that happened to have a jump button, but they were holding onto "platformer" gameplay by a strand.

    The first Jak and Daxter was definitely a platformer. Not a gun in sight, if that's what you were meaning.

  • @Frogacuda said: Honeslty, this is one of the few times you can say those sorts are completely justified by the game's concept. You can't have a game based on the world of heavy metal covers and frank frazetta paintings without amazonian warrior women.

    Someone said something similar to me when I brought up my objections to the original teaser trailer, and I stand by what I said then: no, it's not justified, and yes, IMHO, you could do the game without the so-called Amazonians. ...Or at least you could do the game without the Amazonians who look like they've removed a few ribs, and/or are a nasty spinal injury waiting to happen. Look at Full Throttle--given the story's biker roots, it could've devolved into this sort of nonsense, if given the chance. (Or if the wrong marketing department got its hands on it.) It didn't. And nobody saw a need to give Ben a harem, either.

    I agree with you that the game isn't marketing driven (Tim's games never are), and perhaps I phrased my first post badly. Still, marketing driven or no, those images raised my hackles the first time I saw them--and still do.

  • @Frogacuda said:
    In the sense that it was a platformer, perhaps. J&D and R&C were cartoony mascot games that happened to have a jump button, but they were holding onto "platformer" gameplay by a strand.

    I think you shall find that Ratchet & Clank as well as Jak and Daxter essentially epitomized what was so great about the Platforming genre, just as the likes of Crash Bandicoot had done years earlier. The gameplay was sharp, refined and well executed. Whereas Psychonauts felt very stiff upon occasion and were it simply a platforming game without Double Fine's characterization and script - I think it would have failed to make much news at all.

    @Frogacuda said: Someone said something similar to me when I brought up my objections to the original teaser trailer, and I stand by what I said then: no, it's not justified, and yes, IMHO, you could do the game without the so-called Amazonians. ...Or at least you could do the game without the Amazonians who look like they've removed a few ribs, and/or are a nasty spinal injury waiting to happen. Look at Full Throttle--given the story's biker roots, it could've devolved into this sort of nonsense, if given the chance. (Or if the wrong marketing department got its hands on it.) It didn't. And nobody saw a need to give Ben a harem, either.


    Please tell me you are joking and not suffering from an extreme case of the highfalutin? This game is aimed at a Mature audience and I would hope you had the ability to realize it. The art design is heavily stylized and if you are incapable of understanding that I am completely dumbfounded. Please just do an image search for "Frank Frazetta" or "Metal Album Covers" before going completely AWOL and blaming Double Fine.

    brutal-legend-consoleplayer.jpgBrutalLegend.jpg

    And Psychonauts was no different.
    psychonauts.jpg

  • @Masquerade said:
    Please tell me you are joking and not suffering from an extreme case of the highfalutin? This game is aimed at a Mature audience and I would hope you had the ability to realize it. The art design is heavily stylized and if you are incapable of understanding that I am completely dumbfounded. Please just do an image search for "Frank Frazetta" or "Metal Album Covers" before going completely AWOL and blaming Double Fine.

    Um? Believe me, I'm well aware that it's aimed at a mature audience. And no, I'm not joking: that's just my opinion. You're more than welcome to disagree with it if you like, but insulting my intelligence is completely unnecessary.

    As for the images you posted--I don't take issue with the entire art style. Not in the slightest. What I do take issue with is the way many of the female characters have been designed. As for your Psychonauts comparison...sorry, but that one's lost on me. There's a world of difference in character design between the two games.

  • Rock n roll, and heavy metal even more, has always been mainly something made by retarded teenagers for retarded teenagers, so yeah, it's filled with every damn cliché about women you could possibly think about.
    I understand that this might be the reason for not liking it, but it also means that you just CANT possibly get rid of those if you're going to deal with it.

    (and please don't get me wrong : i do love that stuff and i'm clearly one of the retarded teenagers mentionned above :D)

  • There are more shirtless musclebound oafs in the screenshots I've seen than scantily clad women of loose morals.

  • @Pale Man said: There are more shirtless musclebound oafs in the screenshots I've seen than scantily clad women of loose morals.

    I really hope you didn't mean that those "oafs" were supposed to be as sexually titillating to female gamers as the scantily clad love slaves were supposed to be for male gamers.

    And I think what Tyraa is trying to convey is that it seems like 97% of all female characters in games are eye candy and/or sexual fantasy fodder. There are companies that create female characters as varied and interesting as the male characters, but they are not the majority and Double Fine was one of those companies. Scantily clad women in a Heavy Metal world is expected, but it should also be expected that there be some bad ass, weapon toting Mama's too, and it doesn't seem there are. I mean the very first glimpse we get and the female characters are snuggling up to Riggs like sex kittens.

    Male gamers complain all the time about how they are often portrayed as violent, antisocial, unappealing losers. So imagine a director you like, who had shown gamers in the past as diverse, multifaceted characters. Now that same director is making a movie where every negative gamer stereotype is played straight. I'm willing to give Double Fine a chance and play the game if I can, but that's in spite of the fact that the end of that video was like a slap in the face. I'm hoping that the marketing is just marketing, and that there is actually far more to the female characters then we've been shown.

Add Comment