User Avatar Image

Pirates of the Caribbean Sequel Title Announced...

posted by Secret Fawful on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

_1252699532.jpg

Source -
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Official-Title-Pirates-Of-The-Caribbean-4-On-Stranger-Tides-14739.html

[quote]At the D23 Expo in Los Angeles this weekend, Disney is regaling journalists and fans with scoops about their upcoming projects as well as looks at memorabila from the old ones. They've also used the opportunity to announce the official title for one of the most anticipated movies they have coming out, the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean film.

So the fourth film, going into production soon, will be called Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides.[/quote]

Let the comparisons begin....

142 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Can't really claim this one is ripping off MI when the title is similar to a book that predates the game.

I enjoyed the first film but found the second incredibly boring.

• The thing is, On Stranger Tides was the book that Ron Gilbert based many of the ideas of Monkey Island on.

I enjoy the movies as well (3rd one was getting kind of dumb, though) and I kind of resent them for ripping off Monkey Island in some ways, but I agree with you. We need to deal with it. Nothing's going to change it anyway. Just pop the popcorn and enjoy the ride!

(no pun intended)

• @MusicallyInspired said: I enjoy the movies as well (3rd one was getting kind of dumb, though) and I kind of resent them for ripping off Monkey Island in some ways, but I agree with you.

Fawful's post implies that Disney actually paid Powers and they have the rights for the ride, which is more than can be said for Lucasarts.

• It would be awesome if Guybrush showed up in POTC4. That would be awesome.

• Urgh. I really hope they do some drastic revisions to the plot, if they're planning on just turning the book into a movie--not a big fan of the book, myself.

• @Tyraa Rane said: Urgh. I really hope they do some drastic revisions to the plot, if they're planning on just turning the book into a movie--not a big fan of the book, myself.

They'll have to - otherwise, it wouldn't make sense in the context of the first trilogy.

• @MusicallyInspired said: The thing is, On Stranger Tides was the book that Ron Gilbert based many of the ideas of Monkey Island on.

I enjoy the movies as well (3rd one was getting kind of dumb, though) and I kind of resent them for ripping off Monkey Island in some ways, but I agree with you. We need to deal with it. Nothing's going to change it anyway. Just pop the popcorn and enjoy the ride!

(no pun intended)

Yes, the third one could have done so much better of a job of wrapping up the series. That's why I hate it when movies and their sequels are shot back to back, like Dead Man's Chest and At World's End were. I like the way you think!

@MusicallyInspired said: Fawful's post implies that Disney actually paid Powers and they have the rights for the ride, which is more than can be said for Lucasarts.

Yes, and it's not a question of money, because Lucasarts and Disney probably both pull in billions. But it's not really on Lucasarts, Ron credited On Stranger Tides for the "inspiration" but Monkey Island was NEVER a carbon copy of the book and only has some elements from it. So in reality, POTC 4 BEING the book in a way and Monkey Island being partially inspired by it is a massive coincidence, and an ironic one as Monkey Island was also inspired by the Disney ride.

• There's a lot of incestuousness between POTC and MI.

However, if I hear "I'm Jack Sparrow, Mighty Pirate" in the movie theater, I'll leave.

• @Radogol said: Fawful's post implies that Disney actually paid Powers and they have the rights for the ride, which is more than can be said for Lucasarts.

I wasn't referring to the new movie, but all that tells me is that Disney decided to play the power game and buy the rites just so they could give LucasArts the raspberry and say "Haha! Now we have the rights and YOU'RE the copycats! Nyah nyah!"*

*much exaggeration.

Add Comment