User Avatar Image

PC version vs. Wii?

posted by eatonjb on - last edited - Viewed by 239 users

So I jumped the gun and got the Monkey Island for the PC, but I would have loved to play it on the Wii..

is the PC version any better/worse then then Wii version..

anyone return the PC version to get the Wii version, if that is possable?

sigh

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • anyone have side by side examples of graphics differences, Wii VS highest quality on PC by chance?

• @Rather Dashing said: Really, the Wii version doesn't work. And it's not the Wii hardware(well, other than the lack of a hard drive), it's the stupid restrictions of Wiiware as a digital distribution platform.

Well, the Wiiware restrictions are due to the lack of there being a hard drive. So the Wii hardware is to blame.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Well, the Wiiware restrictions are due to the lack of there being a hard drive. So the Wii hardware is to blame.

I still can't believe Nintendo's stupidity in not including even a marginally larger amount of storage in the Wii.

• @DeLuca said: anyone have side by side examples of graphics differences, Wii VS highest quality on PC by chance?

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n377/GodzillaX8/tmilow.png
    http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n377/GodzillaX8/tmihigh.png

The low quality one isn't from the Wii version, but the PC at minimum settings, which is similar to how the Wii version looks.

The colors on the Wii version are a little brighter, with more noticeable aliasing as well.

Oh, and it is, in fact, true that chapter 2 runs a lot more smoothly than chapter 1, in my experience. But it still looks like rubbish ;)

• Wow, yeah if it is that noticeable you should get a PC to enjoy it more. I haven't seen the specs of the Wii, but they must be low-end

• @nitsujsedohr said: Wow, yeah if it is that noticeable you should get a PC to enjoy it more. I haven't seen the specs of the Wii, but they must be low-end

It's not as much the specs of the Wii, as the 40MB size limit on WiiWare games. Full-length disc-based Wii games like Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime 3 look and perform fantasticly.

• Ah, I see. I guess that makes sense as I can't imagine that storage space is plentiful. The Xbox uses a regular laptop harddrive, The wii probably has something alittle more stripped down.

• The Wii has a 512 MB flash memory. Doesn't even have a hard drive.

Hopefully Nintendo will wise up sooner or later and make a Wii 2 or Wii HD or something that takes advantage of full 1080p HDMI and comes with a hard drive. Doesn't look like it, though. I think Nintendo knows they're failing in the gaming scene and have decided to forgo technical advancements for the time being in favour of cheap (unsatisfying) gimmicks that the common layman would freak out over. And it's worked. They wanted to expand their market to everybody not just gamers. And it's really worked. They are the PopCap Games of console brands now. All the Wii really is is a Gamecube with Widescreen capability and a fancy new controller (and also a new bigger disc format). This is the only reason why GameCube games are fully compatible with the Wii.

But maaaaan. A Wii with 1080p and a hard drive would be so sweet. Imagine the Metroid Prime Trilogy with better textures, smoother models, more details, and 1080p graphics! Ever since I've gotten a 360 I can't go back to my Wii for anything besides the exclusive games I already have for it (which is all I've ever been playing on it since I got it besides homebrew applications which I use extensively...not to mention the internet channel is rather handy at times).

• @MusicallyInspired said: I think Nintendo knows they're failing in the gaming scene

you "think"?

The vast amounts of money that the wii and DS have made for Nintendo prove otherwise.

• I don't own the Wii but i watched someone playing TOMI on it and from this i would say the Wii version compared to the PC version quite sucked in the disciplines others have written above already and it's more expensive too.

I would rather give some indie adventures for that money a chance instead of buying the Wii version as well.

Add Comment