User Avatar Image

Which Monkey Island game was your first?

posted by dvibe on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

I did search the forum first to see if there were a similar thread, but I didn't find any. So hopefully this is the first thread where this is polled.

Which Monkey Island game did you play first, ever?

49 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @guitarsareboring said: I'm not sure that's right... he's always been Wally to me too and I'm in England. 'Where's Wally' is 'Where's Waldo' in America.

Ah, it's vice versa! I'm sorry! :)

• LeChuck's Revenge was the first for me and got me hooked. Followed by Secret (on a shiny CD - newish at the time!), then Curse (still remember taking that gorgeous big box home) then Escape. And now Tales which just seems to be getting better and better.

• I can produdly say that I played the MI games in their correct order. Granted, I was VERY young when I played MI 1 on my Amiga 500 back in the old days, but I still have very fond memories about it, because I played it together with my dad. Those were great times where we spent so much time together on that game. Maybe this is (among other factors) why MI has a special place in my heart.

• I played them all in order.

MI1 was included on first computer ever, and I bought MI2 as soon as it came out.

MI3 & 4 were purchased on release dates for them (although when I bought 4, I didn't check the system requiremenets and had to wait almost a year after I bought it to have a system powerful enough to play it).

And the telltale games have been great so far (pre-ordered the day they were announced)!

• @Duster W. said: I can produdly say that I played the MI games in their correct order. Granted, I was VERY young when I played MI 1 on my Amiga 500 back in the old days, but I still have very fond memories about it, because I played it together with my dad. Those were great times where we spent so much time together on that game. Maybe this is (among other factors) why MI has a special place in my heart.

You played it on a great machine :). Nice to have some more Amigaists here .. :)

• For me it was Monkey Island 2, and it was also the first game i bought with my own pocket money along with The Settlers on my Amiga 500, Yes I remember the 9 disks or was it 11 now I can't actually remember lol.:D
    But it was and is still an excellent game and probably one of a select few I play over and over again.

• I have to confess that I played Curse first: I was born about halfway between Secret and LeChuck's Revenge being released, so probably wasn't in a state to play them! I really, really loved that game when I was a kid, though, and I'll never forget how excited I was when my dad bought me a copy of that CD with the first and second games on it. Walking around the SCUMM Bar and Woodtick for the first time was just as exciting for a kid as playing Curse: kids have an imagination, they don't get annoyed by "dated graphics" like boring adults do.

I also remember getting excited for Escape and getting it on release, and loving it, maybe not as much as the other three, but still loving it. Nowadays I'm a cynical 18 year old and can see its flaws, but I still have a little soft spot for it even when it bores me to tears.

That's one of the things I'm enjoying about Tales: it's like it brings out the little kid in me. Very few things do that nowadays, with everything having to be dark, gritty, serious business etc. I watch Doctor Who for the same reason.

• @Duster W. said: I can produdly say that I played the MI games in their correct order. Granted, I was VERY young when I played MI 1 on my Amiga 500 back in the old days, but I still have very fond memories about it, because I played it together with my dad. Those were great times where we spent so much time together on that game. Maybe this is (among other factors) why MI has a special place in my heart.

This is exactly the same as my story in every detail! :eek: I had to do MI2 on my own though because it was too frustrating for my dad. I don't think he appreciated the 12 disks either. :D Good times, I love my miggy.

• The Monkey Island Collection Box.
    http://www.thelegacy.de/pics/cover/m/M_36843_1125856595_monkey_island_collection_1.jpg

So I strarted with the first. Or maybe with the demo of EMI. I am not sure about that.

• I played Escape first, which I borrowed from a friend and never gave back, then tracked down Curse at a used game shop, spent a few years trying to get it to work on various computers. The same friend who "gave" me Escape later (really) gave me Secret and Revenge. Then I bought Tales.

Add Comment