User Avatar Image

Realisations on Insult Sword Fighting

posted by Chris1 on - last edited - Viewed by 111 users

When playing Episode 2, I did think it was a bit weird that Morgan put down insult sword fighting just like that. It just cried out to me as the developers saying, "no, we are not doing Insult Sword Fighting, stop asking."

But now, having played Episode 3, and gone through a couple of puzzles inspired by Insult Sword Fighting, I think I understand what they were thinking.

I think the fun of Insult Sword Fighting in the original actually came from figuring out what you were supposed to do, rather than actually doing it. And worse, when it was repeated again in MI3 and then in MI4, we already knew how to play it, and didn't enjoy it as much the second and third times.

Bravo to Telltale to realising that they needed to come up with a new version of the mechanic to keep things interesting.


Alright, alright, I know there was the Monkey Combat in MI4. But I'd take the face-pulling mini-game over Monkey Combat any day XD

9 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • At the same time I still wish they'd kept insult sword fighting for the lore, would just have been nice as a throwback even if no puzzles revolved around it.

  • @Rubarack said: At the same time I still wish they'd kept insult sword fighting for the lore, would just have been nice as a throwback even if no puzzles revolved around it.

    Ahhh there's enough references, I enjoyed the faces, classic Monkey-fare done in a new and interesting way. Big sloppy kudos's all round!

  • The new face system really was original!
    It was so fun going around and searching for new faces for my collection!
    I hope this will play a bigger part in the future.

  • @Chris1 said: When playing Episode 2, I did think it was a bit weird that Morgan put down insult sword fighting just like that. It just cried out to me as the developers saying, "no, we are not doing Insult Sword Fighting, stop asking."

    But now, having played Episode 3, and gone through a couple of puzzles inspired by Insult Sword Fighting, I think I understand what they were thinking.

    I think the fun of Insult Sword Fighting in the original actually came from figuring out what you were supposed to do, rather than actually doing it. And worse, when it was repeated again in MI3 and then in MI4, we already knew how to play it, and didn't enjoy it as much the second and third times.

    Bravo to Telltale to realising that they needed to come up with a new version of the mechanic to keep things interesting.


    Alright, alright, I know there was the Monkey Combat in MI4. But I'd take the face-pulling mini-game over Monkey Combat any day XD

    Well said! ;)

  • User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

    @Chris1 said: Bravo to Telltale to realising that they needed to come up with a new version of the mechanic to keep things interesting.

    Alright, alright, I know there was the Monkey Combat in MI4. But I'd take the face-pulling mini-game over Monkey Combat any day XD

    Seconded! (Thirded... whatever)

    I could hardly stop laughing at the Monkey mouth. Or Gomer.

  • Nasty, Lazyeyed MOOOONKKEEEY! :D

  • There should just be something where you have all the insults and rebuttals already learned, for one small puzzle. Just for the fun. Nothing like it was in 1 or 3 though.

  • I like that the face pulling is something that couldn't really be done until now, as far as Monkey Island goes. Maybe Escape could have pulled it off, but I doubt it.

  • @Luke90 said: There should just be something where you have all the insults and rebuttals already learned, for one small puzzle. Just for the fun. Nothing like it was in 1 or 3 though.


    But..we've already fufilled the INTENT of the puzzle, the SPIRIT of the puzzle, and in Manatee Travel-Speak, the EXECUTION of the puzzle. In three different places, sure, but it was all the richer for it! To bring back the original now, even as an atmospheric touch, would feel like a step back now.

Add Comment