User Avatar Image

Chapter 2 better then Chapter 3

posted by Lockmort on - last edited - Viewed by 450 users

I just finished playing Chapter 3, which was totally awesome........
hoooooooowever, I liked Chapter 2 way more.

Chapter 2, in my opinion, had way more funny gags in it, and still stands out as the best Chapter so far, and perhaps even the best part of all MI games so far.
Ofcourse it was so much fun to see Murray back, and it made me laugh a bit, but not enough.
I missed the sarcastic, snapping, reference to older games, remarks from Chapter 2.

The biggest problem with this Chapter, for me personally, was that Guybrush was way to smart all of a sudden. I like him more when he is goofy, doing dumb stuff, and making funny remarks when other people are talking.
He shouldn't have to explain himself to Morgan that much, he seemed like a mentor at some point, which just didn't feel right.
The jokes this time around were "fun", but more like Disneyfun, then really fun.

The best joke for all 3 chapters is still the "cookie" one for me.

The new characters were "ok", but not very memorable. The problem is that each episode introduces us to 3 or 4 new characters who don't appear in later ones. That's a bit sad since I would have loved to see some of the previous ones pop up.
Instead I get the feeling we will not see them again.
I understand Telltale has to do this, since it's episodic and all, but still.

Another problem with this Chapter for me, were the locations and some of the items you so randomly got.
If you count them up, there were only 5 locations:

- 2 inside the manatee
- The ship
- The bottom of the ocean
- Voodoo Lady shack

Chapter 2 had twice as many which came with a lot more variety.

Then, where the hell did that seahorse head came from?? "Someone" left it on your bed? Well that's nice and random.
The totally awesome and funny parrot "dissapeared".

I also would have liked to see more of LeChuck and Elaine.

And the so called "cliffhanger" really wasn't one since there is no indication where the next chapter is going to progress too. But this is not a bad thing I guess.

But all of this doesn't really matter, since we are halfway through now, and it's normal that the middle part doesn't really stand out from the start and the climax.

Overal I have to admit I think this was still a totally great chapter; and way better then all the other adventure games out there these days, but it just didn't have the same feeling as Chapter 1 and certainly the awesome Chapter 2 had.

Now we can only pray chapter 4 comes a bit sooner then the 31st of October.

Still: Good job Telltale!

99 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • For me Chapter 2 was the worst, quality over quatity.

Episode 3, Episode 1 and Episode 2 as worst.

episode 3 had such amazing characters, amazing locations, amazing animations the tubes really rocked, the puzzles rocked, it just seem to go on and on, they used each location much more. best ever! :)

Im also fairly sure the team that worked on Wallace and Gromit has helped this time, maybe Telltale will now realize its not to smart to make to many games at once, atleast for me this episode 3 of Tomi was such such much above the others in overall polish and quality.

• @RMJ1984 said: For me Chapter 2 was the worst, quality over quatity.

Same for me, have to admit I didn't really enjoy chapter 2 that much but each to their own - it just seemed too quick, small and empty despite having all those islands, which for the most part were not really hugely part of the game (at first I thought this was going to be a huge chapter with those islands and new characters and things to explore then was a bit let down I admit).

Just started chapter 3 and really enjoying it, it's on a par with episode 1 so far, back on track.

• Hmm, it's not like Chapter 2 had much more "quantity", it just had more smaller locations which made it seem longer.

Dont get me wrong, I still loved chapter 3, I just didn't think it was as funny as Chapter 2.
    I get it: Manatee's are funny, stupid animals, but after the "southpark vs family guy" episode, didn't we kind of get passed that.
    That felt a bit lame to me.

The puzzles were ok, but still not as great as chapter 2 (the parrot in the chest, the melting, LeChuck,....). I didn't really like them in this chapter, because I always knew what to do, just not HOW to do it. And that's what bugged me the most.
    When you know the solution to something, but the game won't let you do it untill you complete something else (the facial expressions).
    Chapter 2 didn't have that.

And nothing, really nothing, can top the "cookie" joke for me :)

• The seahorse head was a reference to when the Mafia left the head of a horse in a guy's bed as a warning, and was done by the Brotherhood as a similar warning.

The locations I found were quite big relatively speaking and quite different to each other.

Overall, this has been the best one for me, YMMV.

• @Lockmort said: The biggest problem with this Chapter, for me personally, was that Guybrush was way to smart all of a sudden. I like him more when he is goofy, doing dumb stuff, and making funny remarks when other people are talking.

Oh dear. Another person that started playing MI with EMI eh? I hate what that game has done to MI. :mad:

Guybrush is perfect in Tales. Play the other games. He's the smartest guy in the games. Just other people in the games don't realise it that's all.

• Chapter 2 is the worst so far.

3 > 1 > 2

• @a3HeadedMonkey said: Oh dear. Another person that started playing MI with EMI eh? I hate what that game has done to MI. :mad:

Guybrush is perfect in Tales. Play the other games. He's the smartest guy in the games. Just other people in the games don't realise it that's all.

Thumbs up to that. Guybrush is sort of a nerdy guy, he's not Adam Sandler.

• @a3HeadedMonkey said: Oh dear. Another person that started playing MI with EMI eh? I hate what that game has done to MI. :mad:

Excuse me? Lol

I started playing 20 years ago with MI1, when you were probably still in the whomb, thank you very much.
    I don't even count Escape as a Monkey Island game.

And Guybrush is never the smartest person in the games, he's an ordinary guy, not dumb, but certainly not highly intelligent.
    And he is considered "goofy" and "stupid" by the other characters, so I thought it was a bit weird to see someone see him as sort of a "mentor" and him acting that way too.

Add Comment