User Avatar Image

Am I the only one to have enjoyed Simon the Sorcerer 4?

posted by doodo! on - last edited - Viewed by 514 users

I thought it was a pretty fun and descent game, perhaps not perfect but i enjoyed it. Those that like the Third game more just have a very high threshold for shitty games. Where as Simon 4 wasn't a perfect game it definitely wasn't a shitty one. I can't even stand to play the third game, it makes me sick to my head just looking at it,literally.

It's hard for me to even focus on any story when it's so uninspiring and broken up with HORRID Graphics, definitely for that time :rolleyes:...and game play that is far worse than MI4!

I got used to MI4 and Simon but...UGH! The point is I don't understand how anyone can like the Third game but disown the fourth. One game is a quick throw together and is difficult to even look at, the other is a well made game that had time put into it and is a rather enjoyable experience...

48 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • try PLAYING it...

what you dont get is its control scheme is almost identical to simon 3d ..

eaaaaat it.. just eaatt it...

or wait thats wierd al... lol..

if you like this game, and claim this control is ok, yet simon 3d isnt, you are missing something here..

though I will say tex kicks any simons arse, just my opinion

• I have only completed the first 2 Simon games so far. But have made a start on 3D and 4. Actually, to be honest, I like them both. There are things I like and dislike about them both though.

I think the gameplay style in Simon 3D gets overly-criticized sometimes. It's different to point and click, but still essentially an adventure game. I also like the soundtrack, and love the character development they've done with Simon. I'm glad he's still the offensive, sarcastic Simon we saw in the second game.

The quality of graphics are a letdown to Simon 3D, especially compared to the great graphics the other games in the series are capable of. That was due to a time management problem in pre-production though; apparently it was meant to be a high quality 2D game originally. I think some of the scenes are also much larger than they need to be.

As for Simon 4, the graphics are very nice and the gameplay is pure point and click again (from what I've played so far at least) and I've enjoyed it so far. The puzzles have made sense and have been challenging enough without being too easy.

My only complaints about Simon 4 are about how much Simon's personality has changed (though I heard in the German version he's closer to the character we knew from Simon 2 and 3D, and the translation for the English one wasn't spot on), and it's difficult trying to get used to the characters who have all suddenly gone American.

Basically, I think both games are alright. I still much prefer the first 2 games of the series, and Simon 3D and 4 aren't some of the best adventure games around in this century, but they are not the worst either.

I must admit I read reviews about both games before purchasing them though (and I got them both for quite cheap) so I was prepared for them to be bad, and was pleasantly surprised when neither of them were quite as bad as I'd expected.

• @Scrawffler said: I have only completed the first 2 Simon games so far. But have made a start on 3D and 4. Actually, to be honest, I like them both. There are things I like and dislike about them both though.

I think the gameplay style in Simon 3D gets overly-criticized sometimes. It's different to point and click, but still essentially an adventure game. I also like the soundtrack, and love the character development they've done with Simon. I'm glad he's still the offensive, sarcastic Simon we saw in the second game.

The quality of graphics are a letdown to Simon 3D, especially compared to the great graphics the other games in the series are capable of. That was due to a time management problem in pre-production though; apparently it was meant to be a high quality 2D game originally. I think some of the scenes are also much larger than they need to be.

As for Simon 4, the graphics are very nice and the gameplay is pure point and click again (from what I've played so far at least) and I've enjoyed it so far. The puzzles have made sense and have been challenging enough without being too easy.

My only complaints about Simon 4 are about how much Simon's personality has changed (though I heard in the German version he's closer to the character we knew from Simon 2 and 3D, and the translation for the English one wasn't spot on), and it's difficult trying to get used to the characters who have all suddenly gone American.

Basically, I think both games are alright. I still much prefer the first 2 games of the series, and Simon 3D and 4 aren't some of the best adventure games around in this century, but they are not the worst either.

I must admit I read reviews about both games before purchasing them though (and I got them both for quite cheap) so I was prepared for them to be bad, and was pleasantly surprised when neither of them were quite as bad as I'd expected.

Even if I accepted the graphics in game 3 they still make my head spin. Each to his or her own though. Almost as hard as playing Prey.

• prey was impossible :P
    but you are comparing a shooter to an adventure..

again .. seems YOU cant get over that graphics hump and thats why you dislike the game, not the game itself.
    figure out what you dont like and say it.. dont come out and say you dont like the game, you just dont like the engine or graphics

did you ever play that last kings quest? it was first person as well and flopped for the SAME REASON... exact same ..
    an era of bad engines and thoughts to convert to a future 3d.. which they foresaw and well they were right...

so without games like simon 3d or quake 2's engine .. current gaming would be shit.. utter trial and error.
    and without steam code we wouldnt have had the success of the later eras

bottom line is.. do indeed like what you like, but done just come in saying it sucks cause it makes your head spin, then offer no valid reason other than "it was shat"

• Simon 3 its a nice game and 4 its...its....its just not a Simon game. Thats all.

You are just stopping at the graphics. Maybe you are too young, but if you ever played Alone in the Dark Simon 3 graphics shouldnt be something new.

And indeed they are not new! They are old as hell, and pretty ugly. But its a Simon game. It got a Simon soul. Its funny, long, and challenging (im sure i mispelled that)

There is no soul in Simon 4. Just a bad mimic of great series, its all wrong. And the graphics arent that great either. Simon just looks like mix between a hobbit and Toby Mcguire. And dont tell me about the voice acting.

For me its simple, a good game isnt about graphics. Once you get used to all the awkwardness of Simon 3, you start to enjoy it. But i cant enjoy a game that erased everything i loved about that series and just stayed with a name and an empty character.

• FINALLYY!!!
    thanks ignatus! you summed it up better than I ever did, and Id love to take you out for a cup o joe... maybe lunch, moonlight dinner on the beach..
    (record halts with a screech on turntable)
    did i say ..dinner...
    i meant you rock! thanks mate this is what i mean!!!

simon 4 is NOT a simon gaaaaame.. if you want visuals you would have liked prey.. lol but you didnt so i bet there is a part of you that could get into this game if you tried :P
    maaaaaaybe?

• @Kaldire said: FINALLYY!!!
    thanks ignatus! you summed it up better than I ever did, and Id love to take you out for a cup o joe... maybe lunch, moonlight dinner on the beach..
    (record halts with a screech on turntable)
    did i say ..dinner...
    i meant you rock! thanks mate this is what i mean!!!

simon 4 is NOT a simon gaaaaame.. if you want visuals you would have liked prey.. lol but you didnt so i bet there is a part of you that could get into this game if you tried :P
    maaaaaaybe?

I own the game, it's on my shelf and my computer has a clean slate, so maybe...I still said Simon 4 was a descent game and as a stand alone a very well made adventure game, aside from some luster early on. The voices did annoy me but it's just a translation and I over look it. Simon 2 was way different than 1 even, honestly.

I'm 21 years old but never played Alone in the Dark

• @Masquerade said: ::did not even know there was a Simon the Sorcerer IV::

:), well then, I guess you don't know that there's even a fifth part in the series, but it's only in German for now... Anyway, I liked the Simon 4, played it to the end, and it left a decent impression on me as a stand-alone game... I also played Simon 3 at the time, despite its flaws, and managed to reach a late point in the game where I couldn't solve a puzzle because of the bugs it had, so I quit playing it.

• @Nightwalker said: :), w and managed to reach a late point in the game where I couldn't solve a puzzle because of the bugs it had, so I quit playing it.

I was about to install the game and play it, then I read this.:eek:

• Go an play it Doodo, cause its a nice game. I didnt find any annoying bugs although it crashed to the desktop one time.
    But if you save your game regularly just in case, you shouldnt have problems.

And you have to play it with compatibility mode set to win95.
    To make it complete, there is a small patch that solves some issues too, but i never download it. But if you wann be sure, you can try that also.

Add Comment