User Avatar Image

Face-off - any logic to it?

posted by ido on - last edited - Viewed by 622 users

I'm really stuck with the face-off, I just can't find any logic to it, and guessing doesn't work.

I started a fresh game, uncovered all the faces before doing the first real face-off, but still, I can only pass the first stage.

doing the first stage is easy, 90% of the time I just click randomly and I pass it,
the second one though, never got passed it. I wrote every combination either I or bug-eyed did, and I'm using a new combination, with items neither of us used (the ones I got from the puzzles)

but still, I only get nothing at all, or "partially-original", what? it brand new!

please help, I'm stuck on this.

to the developers - sorry, I really liked the episodes so far, but this puzzle is just plain bad. the only way to win is to memorize 64 combinations and see which ones are original? no logic, just plain luck? this bites, especially if you didn't save before you started and just wasted combinations until you find all the faces, like I did on the first run.
please disregard this rant if there is some hidden logic which I haven't found yet.

33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The logic is to not use the same facial expression. Originality is key.

• They tell you multiple times originality is the key and partial originality is almost as bad as no originality. I really don't see how you don't see the logic in it.

• User Avatar Image
    ido

were are not using the same sense of the word logic here.

when I'm talking about a "logic game" I'm talking about a game that requires the act of inducing the next step.

take for example two classical games:
    1) The Memory Game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration_%28game%29
    2) Mastermind: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastermind_%28board_game%29

The first is a memory game (hence the name), all you need to finish the game is a good memory and knowing the rules of the game (rules, not logical rules)

The second is a "logic game", in order to finish the game, you must infer from the rows you have played so far which row to place next. so if you had 2 "in-place" balls and 2 "out-of-place" balls, you know that you need to swap two balls, and if in a previous row played you already got a hint to which balls to swap, you can finish the game by act of logical inference.

So while the face-off game has logic to it, in the sense that it isn't completely random, it is not a "logic game".

• I'll give you that the actual mini game wasn't a logic game, but figuring the rules out was.

• @ido said: were are not using the same sense of the word logic here.

when I'm talking about a "logic game" I'm talking about a game that requires the act of inducing the next step.

take for example two classical games:
    1) The Memory Game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration_%28game%29
    2) Mastermind: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastermind_%28board_game%29

The first is a memory game (hence the name), all you need to finish the game is a good memory and knowing the rules of the game (rules, not logical rules)

The second is a "logic game", in order to finish the game, you must infer from the rows you have played so far which row to place next. so if you had 2 "in-place" balls and 2 "out-of-place" balls, you know that you need to swap two balls, and if in a previous row played you already got a hint to which balls to swap, you can finish the game by act of logical inference.

So while the face-off game has logic to it, in the sense that it isn't completely random, it is not a "logic game".

Well, on here we generally use the term "logical puzzle" as meaning it makes sense. There are some illogical puzzles in previous games that don't make any sense and just require luck or random trying of everything to pass. Which is a bad puzzle.

• Where do I get the different faces.

• I agree that the mini game would have been interesting if there were some rock-paper-scissors element to it rather than just making sure you don't repeat quirks. But that would probably require a whole lot more characters in the game (kinda like those pirates walking around Melee Island) or something. As it is, it's still a lot of fun, especially the Gomer.

Anyway, if you're looking for more "logic-based" puzzles ala Insult Sword Fighting, you'll actually get one near the end game. Everyone's happy! :)

• User Avatar Image

ARRR!
    You use pencil and paper for that? With the right strategy, you can solve this puzzle without any pencil and paper. All you need are very basic memory skills (being able to remember 3 expression at a time...).

Remember the first face of Bugeye (3 expressions). Now choose for each expression the other one that is in the same column, so right below or above Bugeyes expression. This is of course a new face... In the second round, remember Bugeyes second face, you can forget his and your first face. Now just do the same as before: Choose for each expression the other one that is in the same column... this will be the only "original" face left...

I liked the puzzle, also because I like to have lot of different kinds of puzzles, that makes it more entertaining. And the old "choose-the-corresponding-answer-to-my-question"-game will appear later in the game, as Nicmanahan pointed out already.

• All you need to remember is the faces you've chosen yourself and one set that Bugeye chooses. I really think that most people should be able to do that without pen and paper!

Add Comment