User Avatar Image

Too many sexual references?

posted by Largo_LaGrande on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users

Not sure if it's just me... this chapter seemed a bit too sexual, including:
- Jerk bait island
- Spoon island
- A bunch of mermaids who seem to be modelled from Thai ladyboys... bunch of jokes surrounding them (including the 1st mate shagging a male one without knowing...)
- That island that sounds like "I love you" or something... where you get a hint that your partner on the ship is gay

These little sexual jokes seemed to saturate the chapter, and in my view weren't really in line with the kinda humour I enjoyed in MI 1, 2 & 3... such humour was a LOT more subtle (particularly in the first 2) I believe...

Not sure if it's just me getting old, and being less fun? ;)

204 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Marduk said:
    I think the crack about Thai lady boys is more racist than anything else as it portrays a stereotype. But, then, younger players probably won't understand the cultural reference and simply laugh at the term 'lady boy(s)'. Which they mightn't even look at in a sexual light, they may just consider it a reference to the species apparent androgyny and share our protagonist’s confusion as to whatever sex the various merfolk happen to be.

Ladyboy isn't racist because it's a stereotype, making a joke based on the idea of Thai boys that dress as girls and then prostitute themselves isn't a race issue at all other than that the terminology is based on the fact that transvestite prostitutes from a certain area are more androgynous than those in say Phoenix, AZ.

• Also, I would say that if a person is bothered or offended by the innuedo (no, in YOUR endo) that they may want to rethink watching prime time television, or leaving the house for that matter. Why is America so up tight about sex?

• @Marduk said: Yeah, Guybrush's first mate does appear to have a crush on him.

I never got this impression at all. Why does everyone think this?

• winslow is kind of very open minded...he has no greater interest in guybrush than he has in the ship. he just puts everything in a sexual context or at least expresses himself in ways that make it seem that way. he was probably stuck on flotsam for too long...with the only female being the voodoo lady if i remember correctly.

• @MusicallyInspired said: I never got this impression at all. Why does everyone think this?

I never got that impression either. To me the scene sounded like:

"Isle of Ewe"
    Winslow, embarassed about being told "I love you" by a man: "Er, don't we have more important things to do right now? Let's talk about that later, ok?"
    Guybrush "Haha, very funny joke"
    Windlow: "oh, yeah, a joke." (relieved sigh)

Not that I think it's a problem if Windlow IS interested in GB. Sure, why not. I just didn't interpret it that way at all, so it felt weird when everybody was saying he is.

• He does seem far too into seeing Guybrush point at the map. That's just not platonic.

• @StansCoffins said: He does seem far too into seeing Guybrush point at the map. That's just not platonic.

Hehe :)

• "Elaine you have inordinately strong thighs, swing that rope over to me"

BEST LINE IN THE FRANCHISE! I WANT MORE!!

• I can't believe no one noticed LeFlay's flirting with Guybrush and then she's disappointed when Guybrush didn't notice or care.

And all the references to manatee mating rituals.

And of course, there is Grog XD.;)
    @StansCoffins said: He does seem far too into seeing Guybrush point at the map. That's just not platonic.Now that's a definition of platonic I wasn't aware of before.:D

• everybody noticed leflay's flirting

Add Comment