User Avatar Image

Lair of the Leviathan - the best one yet??

posted by Arwald on - last edited - Viewed by 564 users

I personally believe this chapter to be the best of all.
Although, I trully hated the interior :)
But the number of non-standard original quest tasks was simply amazing for what I could have expected from TTG in my wildest dreams:

1) Waking up LeFlay was a short but a nice touch

2) The married-couple game was fun

3) The Pirate Face - simply outstanding

4) Leviathan dating puzzle - bloody grrreat

+ the universal three-puzzle-nonlinear-solving classic is like a trademark of MI series for me, which was started by the "Three Trials" of LucasArts and was successfully continued in "Three Pirate News" by TellTale.

And the jokes became wonderfully refined! The "Seabiscuit" one simply made me cry ))

Keep the good work, TellTale!
And remember "Originality counts!"

31 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Chapter 3 make me touched soooo much, the part was when Morgan explain to Guybrush what does a Female Manatee wants, Guybrush and Morgan stare each other. The part when Morgan feel really upset because Guybrush walked away

• I hope Ch 5 is so tough, it'll never end! Muahahahaha -cough-

• Well, it seems it gets better every chapter and that's a good thing. :)

• Would be nice to hear some TellTale Feedback!, Are they shocked, are amazed are they terrified! on how they will match or make a better episode than Chapter 3, i know i would be, if i was them.

• Well. I wouldn't agree with that. 1>2<3>1

• @Tpravetz said: Well. I wouldn't agree with that. 1>2<3>1

One's better than two, which is worse than three, which is better than one?

• I refrain from saying one of the chapters is "the best" or "better" than the others, or one is "the worst" or "worse" than the others. I mean, it would be like asking...

...which part of The Secret of Monkey Island was the best?
    Part One - The Three Trials
    Part Two - The Journey
    Part Three - Under Monkey Island
    or Part Four - Guybrush kicks butt

Or the same for MI2, CMI and EMI.

Is anyone doing that?

And even if I HAD to say which chapter was my favorite - I simply couldn't. They ALL rock! And as long as I haven't played chapter 4 or 5 I can't say anything about how this game was.

Just my point of view here.

• @Jake said: One's better than two, which is worse than three, which is better than one?

Correct!

@Jake said: I refrain from saying one of the chapters is "the best" or "better" than the others, or one is "the worst" or "worse" than the others. I mean, it would be like asking...

...which part of The Secret of Monkey Island was the best?
    Part One - The Three Trials
    Part Two - The Journey
    Part Three - Under Monkey Island
    or Part Four - Guybrush kicks butt

Or the same for MI2, CMI and EMI.

Is anyone doing that?

And even if I HAD to say which chapter was my favorite - I simply couldn't. They ALL rock! And as long as I haven't played chapter 4 or 5 I can't say anything about how this game was.

Just my point of view here.

True, but the original MI chapters were all linked in one game and they fit together so much nicer then ToMI do.

Noting against TTG. They do an incredible job. But you can never beat a classic.

• Ch. 3 by far. I've been very critical of the firs two, but this one actually pleased me a lot throughout it. The puzzles are more clever, the environments and story arcs are much more interesting and feel right and fresh in the Monkey Island universe, and I ACTUALLY laughed out loud at multiple parts. I don't usually audibly crack upThat's very rare, even from funny games. The face making game and the manatee romance were just perfect ideas (however could have been even funnier). That said, this is about what I wanted as the minimum standard of a new MI, but I'm glad that they're improving. I hope the next one takes it double as far in terms of quality.

I still think the environments could be so much richer, with more to see and do. I was hoping the inside of the manatee would be just way more involved and gross and interesting. Instead there are literally two areas you can go. It's WAAAAY too easy (biggest complaint), and the inventory just doesn't feel right. The objects don't seem to be natural or plentiful enough in the environments. What you do is creative, but how you get there is far too obvious. I prefer to do clever things with normal or unassuming objects rather than do relatively normal things with wacky objects. And the reused polygonal character models really chaps me. Monkey Island characters should be totally unique and hilarious looking. These all generally look the same, and often sort of sound the same even. The characters are getting better, but I need more real pirate universe stand outs.

• Seeing the overwhelming win for chapter 3, and my own preference for chapter 2 I´d say that it is not a goos time to judge the quality. With good movies and games you are usually somewhat euphoric right after experiencing it the first time; you have to let it settle a bit before you can make a fair judgement.

So, I believe the best time to vote for the best chapter would be a month or so after chapter 5; when all are out and the excitement has calmed down a bit. I am sure that the heavy discrepance in popularity between the first two chapters and chapter 3 will go down.

Add Comment