User Avatar Image

Wii version much more expensive than PC version?

posted by supermaz on - last edited - Viewed by 285 users

Hi Telltalegames team,

I just finished the first chapter on the Wii and I must say that this a really nice game. The riddles aren't to hard so no frustation during the play (also it could've been a little longer...).

But something really sets me up. I just saw that the PC version can be bought for 35 $ for the complete 5 episodes.

I bought the first episode as Wiiware for 10 € (which are about 15 $ atm). So, buying all 5 episodes on the Wii will cost me 50 € which are about 75 $ !!!

So buying the Wii edition will cost me more than twice as much as the PC version would.

I sadly must say that I have no understanding for this difference! There must be a different solution and then I would be happy to buy the other 4 episodes for the Wii (as playing living room is nice)!

29 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Console games always seem to cost more than their PC counterparts. Just note the price when you see a game coming out for the PC/Xbox 360 and PS3. For example, Assassin's Creed 2's PC version goes for $10.00 less than the console versions.

• That's because when you buy the game off telltale for 35$, the 35$ goes directly to telltale. On the Wii (or any other console for that matters), Nintendo take their part, which is why it's more expensive. Oh and blame Nintendo for 1$ = 1€, 1000 points = 10$USD here.

• In Japan, it's probably $1 = 1€ = ¥1. And ¥360 is equal to $1.

Hope the Japanese aren't getting THAT good of a deal. :D

• @supermaz said:
    But something really sets me up. I just saw that the PC version can be bought for 35 $ for the complete 5 episodes.I bought the first episode as Wiiware for 10 € (which are about 15 $ atm). So, buying all 5 episodes on the Wii will cost me 50 € which are about 75 $ !!!

That's why I'm a PC gamer. You get better quality at a better price, and you don't have to buy a different console every time a new console comes out.

The PC version of Tales of Monkey Island has better graphics quality and also better sound quality. You might as well buy it on PC from now on. The $35 season pass + the €10 you already spent on the wii version is still cheaper than $75.

The only reason I have a PlayStation 2 at all is because I wanted to play only one game - Metal Gear Solid 3 which has no PC version. I'm disappointed that Metal Gear Soild 4 is exclusive to PlayStation 3, but I'm not willing to buy one of those! Seriously... developers should just release everything on PC.

• @The Commissioner said: That's why I'm a PC gamer. You get better quality at a better price, and you don't have to buy a different console every time a new console comes out.

It's actually far more expensive to keep a PC up to date than to drop $250-$600 on a brand new console every 5-6 years.

• PC gaming is more expensive if you count the hardware. I know it's been a while since you had to upgrade your PC every sixth months to keep it upgraded - but you need to at least upgrade two or three times to keep it up-to-date during one console cycle. And you'll pay maybe double the price of a console every time.

• @The Commissioner said: That's why I'm a PC gamer. You get better quality at a better price, and you don't have to buy a different console every time a new console comes out.

That's true, but you have to update your PC heaps, it costs waaay more to play games on PC than it does on a console. Consoles last 8 years or so before a new one comes, PC's cost twice as much and only last you 2-3 years max.

• @Fury said: That's true, but you have to update your PC heaps, it costs waaay more to play games on PC than it does on a console. Consoles last 8 years or so before a new one comes, PC's cost twice as much and only last you 2-3 years max.

Unless it's a dreamcast. :P

But seriously, where do you get your figures from? PCs last alot longer than 2-3 years, that's just bollucks, most games don't even push my one. Sure, if you want to stay on the cutting edge with maxed out settings then and run multiple games at once then yes you have to keep upgrading, but most PCs will still be able to run games at decent settings for years.

Oh wait this is the internet, should make up some stats. 99% of computers can beat up consoles for their pocket money, and 95% of consoles spontaneously combust.

• @Fury said: That's true, but you have to update your PC heaps, it costs waaay more to play games on PC than it does on a console. Consoles last 8 years or so before a new one comes, PC's cost twice as much and only last you 2-3 years max.

While I'm typically more of a console person, this is a little off. Console cycles have typically been no more than 5 years, even the SNES and Genesis only lasted 5 before being replaced.

The 360 and PS3 may be the first to really break that cycle, simply because there's no where for the technology to really improve right now, except into motion control territory, and that doesn't require a completely new system, hence why they're both releasing add-ons next year.

• Hi Guys,

thanks alot for the answers.

Yes, I know that the graphics is a lot better on the PC version and my PC is surely capable of playing TOMI well enough.

BUT as I'm getting older and doing my dayjob sitting at the PC, have a wife and a kid, I gladly like to sit in the living room at my free time. And as we already have a Wii it makes sense for me to play the game on that console (the Wii was my first console ever!). Additional to that, graphics aren't that important for a good adventure.

But to come back to the costs for purchasing that game. It is indeed frustrating that Nintendo have chosen to set 1$ = 1€. But I found a few seller on Ebay which sell the 1000 points for 7,5€ which is nearly exactly what it would costs when paying in dollars.

So, I've decided to buy the episode 2 for the Wii and continue on playing the game on the Wii even it is still a few dollars (or Euros) more expensive than on the PC.

But what makes it even worse is, that is for Nintendo, not for TT-Games, that you can't sell you Wiiware games as it is bundle to your special Wii.

Add Comment