123 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I have to agree. There wasn't a single hard puzzle to solve, neither was there anything really funny in ep 3.

The solutions to puzzles are to logical and therefore to easy, and there's so little new places with so little things to click, you have to have the memory of a 2-year old to not realize what to do.

Even more, all the characters point out what you have to do (spoiler: you see leonard look up behind you towards the nose), and everything is right there where you need it(spoiler:the screwdriver is laying right next to the broken one-armed bandit, the ketchup is at bosco's since ep 1 so you know it's there.

Overall, entertaining? yes. funny? wellll, somewhat maybe. Getting very close to being to short/easy for even the small amount of money it costs? definetly.

• Bosco's becoming one of my favourite character!

Sacrebleu! I'm french and I don't speak like that! Sons of a cordon bleu!

Ouh lala! I've really enjoyed the jokes about french peoples, you've got a funny thought of us :)

Aurevoir, chers américains! (Et habitants d'autres pays!)

• lerenwe: Use the cap gun on Bosco.

• @fathamburger said: Theres a problem with making more difficult games. The reason why Adventure games fell out of popularity is because a lot of the puzzles were not logical and unnecesarily obscure, requiring certain things to trigger, walking in and out of rooms to "reset" states etc and people ended up just clicking everything on everything.

Sam and Max has the best shot of bringing adventure back into the mainstream by keeping things accessible and focused on the story and writing and bringing more potential fans into the fold that might not even know what an adventure game is.

Sorry, but unless you have some sources I am unaware of, you are only ASSUMING why adventure games fell out of favor. There were plenty of games with logical puzzles. Why couldn't it have fallen out of favor because of better graphics and the coming of FPS popularity, online games, better graphics on consoles, etc?

Last I checked, at least 5 adventure games come out each year, which is still more than pc rpgs.

Your whole argument is based on the fallacy that you alone know why adventure games fell out of popularity.

If the future of adventure gaming is based on super easy 6 item puzzles, then I want nothing to do with it.

Btw, why has myst been so successful(1-5 which was released JUST LAST YEAR)? It is anything but simple...

Syberia brought people back to adventure games... Sam and Max(super easy and super short) is very unlikely to.

Plenty of great logical adventure games have come out since the decline in 1999 or so-

The longest journey, syberia 1-2, barrow hill, dark fall 1 and 2, runaway, return to mysterious island, voyage, agon, myst 4 and 5 etc. None of these were easy or simple or short. All did well.

• Probably the easiest Sam and Max episode to date, none of the puzzles required much thought at all and like has already been described, I felt it was more of just a story which required me to click a few times in order to progress.

The knock on effect of this is that the episodes become very short, only taking one or two hours to complete tops.

The number of Characters and objects in the game are way too few, this radically decreases the number of possible combinations of objects/people to complete a puzzle.

I hope to see more from the last 3 episodes, it seems obvious that there is much grander plot going on, I hope that the last episode contains all the locations from all the previous episodes with at least one main puzzle in each so the final episode is longer and harder.

I still like the series because I've paid for all the episodes, and I'm a great lover of the original, but should there be a 2nd series I think i'd avoid it unless there was the promis of much more difficult puzzles.

• "The longest journey, syberia 1-2, barrow hill, dark fall 1 and 2, runaway, return to mysterious island, voyage, agon, myst 4 and 5.
    Also going to add Keepsake, Al Emmo, Ankh, Scratches, Samorost 2, The Moment of Silence, Still life, Broken sword 3 and 4, myst 3, Faust...

None of these were easy or simple or short.

How could you say there is a decline in adventure gaming with 20+ titles released with good reviews in the last 5 years or so!? Name 20+ pc rpgs with good reviews in the same time... I don't see anyone complaining about the death of them! Adventure gaming has experienced a revival and it hasn't been because of super easy gaming.

• @shadow9d9 said: "The longest journey, syberia 1-2, barrow hill, dark fall 1 and 2, runaway, return to mysterious island, voyage, agon, myst 4 and 5.
    Also going to add Keepsake, Al Emmo, Ankh, Scratches, Samorost 2, The Moment of Silence, Still life, Broken sword 3 and 4, myst 3, Faust...

None of these were easy or simple or short.

How could you say there is a decline in adventure gaming with 20+ titles released with good reviews in the last 5 years or so!? Name 20+ pc rpgs with good reviews in the same time... I don't see anyone complaining about the death of them! Adventure gaming has experienced a revival and it hasn't been because of super easy gaming.

@shadow9d9 said: Sorry, but unless you have some sources I am unaware of, you are only ASSUMING why adventure games fell out of favor. There were plenty of games with logical puzzles. Why couldn't it have fallen out of favor because of better graphics and the coming of FPS popularity, online games, better graphics on consoles, etc?

Last I checked, at least 5 adventure games come out each year, which is still more than pc rpgs.

Your whole argument is based on the fallacy that you alone know why adventure games fell out of popularity.

If the future of adventure gaming is based on super easy 6 item puzzles, then I want nothing to do with it.

Btw, why has myst been so successful(1-5 which was released JUST LAST YEAR)? It is anything but simple...

Syberia brought people back to adventure games... Sam and Max(super easy and super short) is very unlikely to.

Plenty of great logical adventure games have come out since the decline in 1999 or so-

The longest journey, syberia 1-2, barrow hill, dark fall 1 and 2, runaway, return to mysterious island, voyage, agon, myst 4 and 5 etc. None of these were easy or simple or short. All did well.

Hooray. We're repeating ourselves... :rolleyes:

Oh, and here's a point for you...

The Myst series has been so widely popular not because it's hard (in fact, the hardest game, Myst 4, is one of the least popular, for that very reason), but because it has, by and large, appealed to an extremely large population of people... Young, old, male, female, rich, poor, any race you like, the list goes on...

And although I really don't expect you to believe me, but that's pretty much exactly what Telltale is doing by making their games maybe a little simpler than you'd like.

• Riven was hard and popular..same with the original myst. You don;t appeal to wider groups of people by making things easy.. you could always use a walkthrough or hints if too difficult.. nothing you could do about too easy.

Add Comment