User Avatar Image

Episodes puzzles still not very challenging

posted by XuGator on - last edited - Viewed by 393 users

Since everyone has over a month to play each episode, cant telltale make these puzzles a lot more difficult? I mean - isnt that the beauty of this game getting stumped?

I remember in curse of monkey island - I went around exploring the islands for hours sometimes trying to figure things out. This is not the case here in Tales.

Lets take the scene at the end of the episode where DeCava traps Morgan and Guybrush in the cages. I mean -was that even supposed to be a puzzle? Lower the cage by grabbing the rope, throw Morgan the sword and you are free? Seriously - with little to no more effort, they could make each of these puzzles much more challenging. Most of these are kind of a joke. Another example is getting Morgan to go on a date with that dork. OK - we'll play guess and check for a total of 2 minutes, send her over to him a couple times and bam - we have his vote. The same is true for the manatee date at the end. Go over a couple times- find the line that works and bam -manatees are in love and you have almost completed the episode. It cant be just me that feels this way.

I would just like to see 1 extremely difficult puzzle per episode that forces the player to search and explore every area and talk to everyone. Again - I think I missed out on some stuff because things were so straight forward.

61 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • It must be really hard to balance the puzzles well. Chapter 3 was just extremely easy, yeah; but on the other hand getting stuck for too long is not motivating either. Finding the middle way between allowing the player a steady progress and not making it too easy as it happened in chapter 3 is something many games don´t get right.

I am optimistic TTG will manage though, especially for chapter 5 they will surely spend some extra time for the perfect balancing. :)

• Also in my opinion Ch3 of ToMI is easier than ANY episode of S&M [s1 OR 2] or W&G.

Still a great chapter I think, but not challenging enough to give you an emotional reward response for solving any of the puzzles... If that makes any sense..

• @108 Stars said: It must be really hard to balance the puzzles well. Chapter 3 was just extremely easy, yeah; but on the other hand getting stuck for too long is not motivating either. Finding the middle way between allowing the player a steady progress and not making it too easy as it happened in chapter 3 is something many games don´t get right.

I thought TT nailed it in just about every episode of S&M s2.

• @StansCoffins said: To this day I still wonder whether I would have actually worked out this puzzle. Probably not, I'm yet to actually hear the word "Monkey Wrench" actually be used out of Monkey Island context. Is it an American term?

Yes. It's the American word for what you probably know as a "Spanner", I'm pretty sure.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_wrench

BTW: I hated that puzzle with a passion. I was stumped forever and when I found out the answer I felt cheated.

• @XuGator said:
    I would just like to see 1 extremely difficult puzzle per episode that forces the player to search and explore every area and talk to everyone. Again - I think I missed out on some stuff because things were so straight forward.

Although not "Extremely difficult", I thought that getting DeCava to drink the yellow Ichor was tougher than most have been. More puzzles of that level of complexity would be nice.

I think they are coddling the noobs, for the most part though.

• @XuGator said: Since everyone has over a month to play each episode, cant telltale make these puzzles a lot more difficult? I mean - isnt that the beauty of this game getting stumped?

Not to everybody.

• I think people get too easy confused with brilliantly logical puzzles. So far in ToMI, even if not at the time of trying to solve, but afterwards, the puzzles have all been logical thinking. That was the problem with the earlier MI games, although MI:2 is the best MI game ever some of the puzzles were really infuriatingly obscure. The Monkey Wrench for one, the whole in the library obtaining the shipwreck books section and the bit that kept me stuck for a long time in the game, pulling a one pixel hotspot that is only available for a short time to aquire Lechucks grots.

I just think that, although the game itself does not quite measure up to the pinnacle that is MI:2 (partly to with rose tinted specs as well I suspect), some of ToMI's puzzles have already surpassed some of MI:2 better ones.

• stemot and MusicallyInspired summed up what I think... I don't like fighting a game just because the game's logic is broken or strange. And for some reason I got stuck a few times. DeCava's glasses, the singing manathee, etc... I don't know, maybe I'm just bad with puzzles.

• I can honestly say that some of you probably just don't have lives and would play the full game for several hours, claiming you beat it in a day and then running down stairs to raid the kitchen, and passing out on the sofa as your sole agenda for the entire next day...

Seriously how much time a day do you guys put aside for these games, how much free time do you even have? How long does it usually take you to beat Monkey Island games? I can't remember ever taking longer than a week to get to the final stage or beat a monkey island game.

Add Comment