User Avatar Image

Brutal Legend - the first Tim Schafer game that I won't buy

posted by NimNik on - last edited - Viewed by 544 users

I have played every Tim Schafer game and love all of them. But after playing demo of Brutal Legend and see reviews/video clips from the game, I've decided to skip Brutal Legend. All of previous Tim Schafer games have unique, undeniable timeless charms about them..

- Secret of Monkey Island : Unique settings (at the time), witty dialogs, memorable characters and mind bending puzzles. Unforgettable insult sword fight. A true adventure game classic.
- Day of the tentacle : Clever temporal puzzles and gameplay. I'd never forget solving a puzzle by adding vacuum cleaner in the constitution to solve puzzles 200 years later. It inspired me to learn more about US history than any textbook ever will.
- Full Throttle : Ben kicks ass.. enough said
- Grim Fandango : His magnum opus. I was immersed in the noir universe he created. Glottis is one of the most memorable sidekick ever in a game
- Psychonauts : I love the imaginative multiverses presented by each character. Because of that, I endure through the game eventhough the gameplay mechanic is pretty weak and the end boss is so frustrating.

The humors in these games do not need any pop culture references... comparing these games to Brutal Legend... The dialogs in the demo aren't all that funny. I felt like there are inside jokes for metal fans only. ("Jack Black in the game.. funny", "Ozzie in the game.. haha", etc.). It is Shrek-like humor compared to Pixar-like humor of his previous efforts. Finally, adding RTS gameplay element was a deal breaker for me.

Tim Schafer for me is a great writer and creative director. But as a game designer, he seems to be held back by the "gameplay" part. This seems apparent in 4-5 different unpolished gameplay mechanics in Brutal Legend.
Tim's game is always brilliantly written but he always struggled with the mechanic. Full Throttle's arcade sequence is subpar. Grim Fandango control & camera could be better. Same with Psychonauts. I don't want to endure a game just to follow the story anymore (especially in a setting that is not so appealing to me).

Good luck... Tim... I wish you the best for Brutal Legend and all your future games. For me, you have lost that magic touch. I'll go play Tales of Monkey Island instead of Brutal Legend.

56 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • He hasn't lost his magic touch at all. BL just appeals to a different demographic.

• Overreacting a bit, aren't you?

You said it yourself: The setting and humor don't appeal to you. Since when has Tim been a one-trick pony? Just like Brutal Legend has nothing to do with Psychonauts, his next game will most likely have nothing to do with Brutal Legend. He's experimenting with styles at the moment, so there's no limit to what he may come up with next.

You know the adage... you can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the etc.

• Brutal Legend feels like a spiritual sequel to Full Throttle to me for some reason.... I cant wait to get my hands on a copy of the game...

• Speaking as an avid metalhead, the game is funny. As far as I'm concerned, it's a great action-adventure game, that is very funny, and it has quite possibly the greatest soundtrack I have ever heard. :p But again I am a metalhead so of course I would say that.

As Secret Fawful has already said, this game is merely aimed at a different demographic. I don't think that games like Brutal Legend are going to become all that common. So, I don't think you need to worry about Tim losing his "magical touch" because he makes one bad game.

Telltale Games have made a whole slew of mediocre games - such as their poker game, their CSI games, etc. Yet I do not hear anyone claiming that Telltale Games has "lost it". You don't need to be so melodramatic. I'm sure Tim will make a fantastic game later on that you will enjoy (and believe me, I enjoy his other work just as much as you do!)

• Just finished Brutal legend.

The game is pretty funny. Almost as good as Psychonauts, and as funny as his others. And the gameplay is awesome. It's really good. Don't judge it by it's cover, it's still aimed at our demographic, it's just awesome too.

The only downside is the game is pretty short. There's a fair bit of replay value though, lots of bonus missions etc, and multiplayer is good.

So get it. If you liked the other Tim Schafer games you'll love this one.

• Hmmm, I don't think Tim has lost his touch. It's true that I won't play Brutal Legend, but for totally different reasons... it's a bit too bloody/violent for my taste.
    I like Jack Black, good actor, but not so good movies...
    The game just wouldn't amuse me, but I can accept it as a great step forward for Tim, the atmosphere, the music, all fit brilliantly in the game... too bad it doesn't appeal to me. :)

• @Silverwolfpet said: Hmmm, I don't think Tim has lost his touch. It's true that I won't play Brutal Legend, but for totally different reasons... it's a bit too bloody/violent for my taste.
    I like Jack Black, good actor, but not so good movies...
    The game just wouldn't amuse me, but I can accept it as a great step forward for Tim, the atmosphere, the music, all fit brilliantly in the game... too bad it doesn't appeal to me. :)

You can turn off gore and swears if it bothers you.

I think you would find it funny, it's not as funny as Psychonauts but it's as funny as his other work.

I was doubtful of this game at first, but it's about as mainstream as Full Throttle. If you're cautious, I recommend this game as a rental.

Monkey Island fans fear not, for the Brutal Legend is awesome.

• I did a face-off of Brutal Legend with Uncharted 2 here on my site (Alternative Magazine Online):

http://alternativemagazineonline.co.uk/2009/10/14/friday-release-day-faceoff-uncharted-2-among-thieves-vs-brutal-legend/

I loved Uncharted 2 (just finished it) and about to play Brutal Legend right now... anybody else bought one of them/ or both?

• @Irishmile said: Brutal Legend feels like a spiritual sequel to Full Throttle to me for some reason...

Actually sometimes, when simply cruising the world in the game and some of Peter McConnell's soft guitar score for the game sets in, the atmosphere was VERY "Full Throttle"-like to me.

• It looks like a fun game to me, but not for $60. Not after I bought Lucidity for $10, the SE for $10 and Tales for $35.

Add Comment