User Avatar Image

An Open Letter to Telltale Games

posted by DeLuca on - last edited - Viewed by 298 users

Dearest TTG;

In the most recent months, you have been my heroes, bringing back what I believe to be the most wonderful franchise in gaming history. I love what you have done with it, and wholeheartedly approve.

However, I think Michael Lands music is one of the best part of the games. The music in Curse of Monkey Island, I think, is a HUGE part of what made it feel so epic, so polished.

So please, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT RELEASE THE NEXT SEASON ON THE WII. We want real music, we want recorded music. I want steel drums and accordions and violins and flutes. I want real samples of a ocean wave breaking, not MIDI sounding stuff. I know you're limited, and I can hear IN this music that the talent is there to do SO much more.

Even better, release it on XBOX if you must use a console, its more geared to your audience, it has the capabilities to handle full music-ed games (they are going to allow downloading of full 360 games soon).

HELL, I'll pay more! That's how much I like you guys but also how much I want real music. I'll pay $45 for a season, hell I'll pay $60 just like an XBOX 360 game.

Sincerely,
Me

PS: I know businesses, I know it's complicated, in reality I'm just hoping that you consider dropping the WII because its limits heavily outweigh its benefits.

32 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @DeLuca said: Dearest TTG;

In the most recent months, you have been my heroes, bringing back what I believe to be the most wonderful franchise in gaming history. I love what you have done with it, and wholeheartedly approve.

However, I think Michael Lands music is one of the best part of the games. The music in Curse of Monkey Island, I think, is a HUGE part of what made it feel so epic, so polished.

So please, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT RELEASE THE NEXT SEASON ON THE WII. We want real music, we want recorded music. I want steel drums and accordions and violins and flutes. I want real samples of a ocean wave breaking, not MIDI sounding stuff. I know you're limited, and I can hear IN this music that the talent is there to do SO much more.

Even better, release it on XBOX if you must use a console, its more geared to your audience, it has the capabilities to handle full music-ed games (they are going to allow downloading of full 360 games soon).

HELL, I'll pay more! That's how much I like you guys but also how much I want real music. I'll pay $45 for a season, hell I'll pay $60 just like an XBOX 360 game.

Sincerely,
    Me

PS: I know businesses, I know it's complicated, in reality I'm just hoping that you consider dropping the WII because its limits heavily outweigh its benefits.

Why is it that open letters are never good. They're always criticizing something.

• Do you mean Wiiware? Because it's the download service with the limitations, the console itself ought to be able to run adventure games just fine (though I am aware of frame rate issues in Sam & Max, but hopefully Telltale have those under control by now).

• @DeLuca said:
    (they are going to allow downloading of full 360 games soon).

They are already actually :)

• This is not going to happen, ill tell you why.

It's very costly to get the setup going for making console games. Once you have everything set up and your people properly know how everything works, it's a lot easier to release more stuff on that console.

Dropping the Wii would be a huge waste of invested money. No sane company would do this just for aesthetic reasons. It's not like there is any fundamental problem with the Wii. It's powerful enough for the ToMI engine and a very popular device. Dropping it would make zero business scene.

The proof of this is that TTG didn't touch OSX or the PS3 (yet). They are hesitant to make the big initial investment.

• the wii is not powerful enough to run the tomi engine.

i made the horrific mistake of buying the wii version and had to delete it in dusgust and buy it AGAIN so i could play it on a proper computer instead of a 5 year old's toy.

by 'popular' i assume you mean popular with 40-somethings playing wii-fit and 5 year olds playing 'i like to ride around on my pet pony 5'.

XNA supports dual PC/xbl development.

• I predict this thread spiraling into hurt fanboy feelings territory.

• I must admit I don't have a Wii. I recently discovered that I can run ToMI pretty much perfectly on some old first-gen Althlon64 (with Vista on it!). I assumed a Wii should run it at least just as good then.

Anyway, the economic argument still stands.

• I'm hoping that Monkey Island makes it on to the xbox arcade like Sam and Max.

• I think an open letter to get your point across is fine. I don't think the OP is expecting a major change like WiiWare actually being dropped. But what are some good alternatives? PC users getting full-fledged, high-quality music and let the Wii strip it down if needed? Offering an HD-pack as a downloadable add-on, so as not to bog down the mainstream audience with larger installation files? If/when there's a second season, those kinds of ideas can probably be implemented.

• @kjeevah said: the wii is not powerful enough to run the tomi engine.

i made the horrific mistake of buying the wii version and had to delete it in dusgust and buy it AGAIN so i could play it on a proper computer instead of a 5 year old's toy.

by 'popular' i assume you mean popular with 40-somethings playing wii-fit and 5 year olds playing 'i like to ride around on my pet pony 5'.

XNA supports dual PC/xbl development.

The Wii has more than enough power to play more demanding games than what Telltale have made, it's just that they are not released on WiiWare which is what Telltale do currently and is a move I feel seriously limits their potential on a console that is perfectly suited to their types of game.

XNA/C# is fine for small bedroom coders but it's just too slow (compared to C++) for commercial games development.

Add Comment