User Avatar Image

CSI: Deadly Intent- Wait No More!

posted by nikasaur on - last edited - Viewed by 326 users

CSI: Deadly Intent comes out TODAY with more crime-solving adventure than ever. Check out Ubisoft's Website to pick up your copy!

Already got it? Tell us what you think, and remember to use the hint forum if you're stuck.

34 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • not really.The graphics are that bad that people won't buy the game check comments on gametrailers,youtube,ign etc

• @DABhand said: The thing is they want to have more possible people buying the game, too advanced an engine = more powerful GPU's needed = less people who will buy the game.

Whilst that is true, it's a pretty safe bet the real motivation is money. The main focus of Telltale's engine is to allow for rapid production of content, not necessarily efficient execution. With a bit of time and money I'm sure Telltale could optimise their engine to support better graphics on low end computers - but this is a low budget game so the investment can't really be justified. Especially when you factor in the costs of actually producing more detailed models and textures on top of the technical work.

Personally I don't see this as a bad move. The average customer for this game is not going to be a hardcore gamer who's impressed by sweet graphics but a fan of the TV show who is more interested in the characters, stories and feeling like they're part of the CSI team.

• Yeah but won't TTG be interested into approaching the wider adventure player market ?
    Sam and Max and Strong Bad and MI don't need good graphics because that's their style.CSI is a totally different type of game

• @phaedon said: Yeah but won't TTG be interested into approaching the wider adventure player market ?
    Sam and Max and Strong Bad and MI don't need good graphics because that's their style.CSI is a totally different type of game

I guess Ubisoft concluded that the extra sales from that market would not outweigh the extra cost. You've also got to bare in mind that an increase in budget means either less profit per sale or an increase in price that might put off the more casual audience (who are the target demographic here).

You raise a good point about stylisation though. I agree that Strong Bad and MI etc can get away with lower fidelity graphics because they are highly stylised. I was thinking about this a while back and I wonder if a more stylised CSI would work. Obviously the cartoony visuals of Sam and Max would be inappropriate but perhaps something more along the lines of the moody graphic novel look, for want of a better term, of the previous game would suit the license. This may make people more willing to accept the graphics without ramping up the development costs.

Either way, my order is shipping tomorrow and I should have the game on Friday. Can't wait :D

• I have read a CSI comic and I have to say I prefer the real atmosphere of the show.You can simply not get into the CSI atmosphere with Sam and Max graphics and cel-shaded graphics would suck for a game like CSI.I might get the game tomorrow but I may not have the time to play it till Friday

• You might well be right. I didn't play the last game and I've never read a CSI comic. It was just a thought I've been mulling over.

• I have to say - best CSI game so far!!! Good job, guys!

• Does it include autopsies ???

• Doc Robins has and always will do them for you :P

• @neon said: Whilst that is true, it's a pretty safe bet the real motivation is money. The main focus of Telltale's engine is to allow for rapid production of content, not necessarily efficient execution. With a bit of time and money I'm sure Telltale could optimise their engine to support better graphics on low end computers - but this is a low budget game so the investment can't really be justified. Especially when you factor in the costs of actually producing more detailed models and textures on top of the technical work.

Personally I don't see this as a bad move. The average customer for this game is not going to be a hardcore gamer who's impressed by sweet graphics but a fan of the TV show who is more interested in the characters, stories and feeling like they're part of the CSI team.

Money isnt really a factor in developing an engine, just hard work, peserverance and dare I say it luck. As does experienced people who know how to work meshes and DirectX API's.

Add Comment