User Avatar Image

Episode 3 : Error access violation

posted by Welshy on - last edited - Viewed by 2.1K users

God no :eek: its happening all over again!!!!!

Well...i've got the same access violation error that kept popping up in eposide 2

Is this just my pc :S if so then why doesnt episode 1 crash constantly as well?

35 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Em,

I'm having the access violation directly after the opening sequence. Everything works fine, the purple hued silhouette intro, Sam 'n Max snap a finger at each other, the screen fades to black and the title comes up.
    Then explody.
    I'm unfortunately running SP1 windows. I tried installing SP2 a while back, but my machine didn't like it too much and I had to reinstall. As badly as I would like to play this game, I'm not sure I want to play it so badly that I need to perform miracles just to be back where I started.

• I'm also using SP1 (SP2 messes up my system). The error also comes right after the title screen.

• dont suppose theres any more news on a patch being released? I fear the same thing will happen with Ep. 4 :(

• For people who have the error right after the credits, we found that upgrading to SP2 fixes the problem. If you don't want to upgrade to SP2, I'm afraid there isn't anything else we can suggest right now. The same problem has been reported by a few win2k users, for whom upgrading to XP SP2 is obviously not an option. ;) Win2k is not a supported operating system for these games, so if you're using win2k and are getting the access violation error right after the credits, there's nothing we can do at this time.

Regarding the other errors, we are continually trying to optimize the games to prevent these things, and hopefully some of you will see improvements in ep4. We've found that many of these issues are due to the copy protection we're using (not the game itself) and we're trying to tweak it to cut down on these sorts of problems.

For those of you getting access violation errors with the Brazilian version of XP, it definitely seems tied to the version of XP, and it's not something we're going to be able to test right now.

Guys, it kills me that we can't just wave our hands and magically fix this, but there are so many variables at play, we can only do our best to optimize the settings to prevent errors for the majority of people (which is what we've been working on ever since the problems were first reported).

As I've said before, if the game isn't working for you due to this sort of problem and you don't want to wait anymore, that's totally understandable and we'll refund your money.

EDIT: Welshy, please see the PM I just sent you.

• If i wait, will there eventualy be a fix (without having to install SP2)? SP2 has conflicts with some software I run so it's not an option for me to install it.

• [quote]If i wait, will there eventualy be a fix (without having to install SP2)? SP2 has conflicts with some software I run so it's not an option for me to install it.[/quote]

Probably not, but you can at least try episode 4 and see if the problem still occurs. It might not, due to other tweaks we're making.

I resisted installing SP2 for a long, long time (until last week when Kevin started messing with my machine!) I didn't do it because of some problems with the service pack when it first came out, but it's a lot more stable now.

• @Emily said: Probably not, but you can at least try episode 4 and see if the problem still occurs. It might not, due to other tweaks we're making.

I resisted installing SP2 for a long, long time (until last week when Kevin started messing with my machine!) I didn't do it because of some problems with the service pack when it first came out, but it's a lot more stable now.

It's a PeeCee running a MicroShaft operating system, right...? That means it's about as stable as a house of cards in a light breeze...:D

Guess what my main system is...? Hint, it doesn't run *******...

The phrase 'stable M$ OS' is an oxymoron.

Sarah

• @Emily said: Win2k is not a supported operating system for these games, so if you're using win2k and are getting the access violation error right after the credits, there's nothing we can do at this time.

If Win2k is no supported OS for this game why does the "Find my order" - Page show Win2k as a supported OS? (see attached screenshot) :confused:

• Yeah, I was wondering about that, too.

But for the record, upgrading my Inspiron 8200 laptop powered by an NVidia GeForce2Go graphics chip from Win2k with latest patches to WinXP with SP2 turned me from a person having this problem to a person not having this problem. Also for the record, Episode 1 worked fine on Win2k for me on both my machines, the other one being my much more powerful desktop where I, ironically, uninstalled XP because Episode 1 showed very weird texture bugs (not Telltale's fault, other games were affected as well) that were absent in 2K. Add me to the list of people who would appreciate a real fix, I'd really prefer to use the other machine :)

• That's because when these products were originally set up, someone chose the wrong entry for them in Digital River's system. It's completely our fault, and I'm going to fix it so anyone who buys them moving forward sees the correct OS, but it won't change the settings for anyone who already placed an order.

[quote]But for the record, upgrading my Inspiron 8200 laptop powered by an NVidia GeForce2Go graphics chip from Win2k with latest patches to WinXP with SP2 turned me from a person having this problem to a person not having this problem.[/quote]

My computer (the one that we upgraded to SP2) also has an Nvidia Geforce2 card.

[quote]Also for the record, Episode 1 worked fine on Win2k for me on both my machines, the other one being my much more powerful desktop where I, ironically, uninstalled XP because Episode 1 showed very weird texture bugs (not Telltale's fault, other games were affected as well) that were absent in 2K.[/quote]

The games have always seemed to run fine on Win2k. The problem is that we're not set up to support Win2k, so we have no way to test it. I'm not saying there might not be a fix for this problem on Win2k, but Telltale just doesn't have the resources right now to figure out what it would be.

Add Comment