User Avatar Image

How old is Guybrush exactly?

posted by Flah on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users

Something has been bugging me. And it's shaped like Morgan Leflay. She claims that she's been following Guybrush Threepwood's piratey exploits all her life, ever since she was a little child. Though, to be honest Morgan doesn't look incredibly young, compared to Guybrush.

I would guess that Guybrush is, at most, in his early twenties. And he likely started pirating on Melee Island at age sixteen at the earliest (the standard age for a callow youth with a fantastic destiny ahead of him). He's certainly not scarred nor grizzled enough to have been a pirate for that since then. And he's still got his boyish good looks. In the Monkey Island continuity, we can be fairly sure that the events that have taken place so far have spanned over a period of no more than ten years. Likely even less than that.

So the question I have to ask is... Isn't Morgan a little bit well-developed for someone in her early teens?

54 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • That he's clearly a liar as he doesn't wear it in MI2 or EMI but variants of them instead ;)

• i thonk im TOMI he is around 30. MI1 i think he is 19 and MI2 is 21 and MI3 about 23 and 23 in EMI and 7 years apss till TOMI. well that is my guess.

• @Rather Dashing said: I thought this too, but I think Jake said that the comment actually was referring to the events from Secret of Monkey Island onward.

That was my read on it at least, that their "decade together" was an approximation of their total time knowing each other. I don't think Guybrush is 30, for instance.

• For me, he's no more than 24 in TOMI. And he was 17/20/20/21 in previous games. Not based on anything but my gut feeling and common sense. Someone mentioned 7 years passed between EMI and TOMI, but I think that was more of a joke, because TOMI was 7 years late. :D

32? That's way too old for Guybrush. By the time he's 32 he'd probably be retired and have a couple of kids.

• The only explicit references to his age are in the second and third games. He was 19 in Monkey Island 2 (Phatt City Library, trying to get a card), had a birthday during the three months he was trapped in the Carnival of the Damned, and was 20 in Curse (SCUMM Actor's Guild card, Carnival of the Damned).

As Curse starts at night and the daylight in each area loops around through a full day and back to morning at the end, it's possible that the events of that game unfolded over one day, but perhaps not. Either way, I doubt the events of that game took 9 months, so if Guybrush and Elaine were on their three month honeymoon for the duration of the time between Curse and Escape, Guybrush must have still been 20 in Escape.

Now, if Telltale is pulling an Indiana Jones and making the amount of time that passed in the real world between games the same as the amount of time that passed in-game between games (and they seem to be), that would make Guybrush 29 now.

Also, if Elaine's reference to leaving her for three years is indeed an indication to the time between the first and second games, that would make him 16 in Secret and might also explain why she was so pissed off at him in Monkey 2.

• @GuruGuru214 said: The only explicit references to his age are in the second and third games. He was 19 in Monkey Island 2 (Phatt City Library, trying to get a card), had a birthday during the three months he was trapped in the Carnival of the Damned, and was 20 in Curse (SCUMM Actor's Guild card, Carnival of the Damned).

As Curse starts at night and the daylight in each area loops around through a full day and back to morning at the end, it's possible that the events of that game unfolded over one day, but perhaps not. Either way, I doubt the events of that game took 9 months, so if Guybrush and Elaine were on their three month honeymoon for the duration of the time between Curse and Escape, Guybrush must have still been 20 in Escape.

Now, if Telltale is pulling an Indiana Jones and making the amount of time that passed in the real world between games the same as the amount of time that passed in-game between games (and they seem to be), that would make Guybrush 29 now.

Also, if Elaine's reference to leaving her for three years is indeed an indication to the time between the first and second games, that would make him 16 in Secret and might also explain why she was so pissed off at him in Monkey 2.

.... That actually makes sense! Good job!

• @Miaharpy said: .... That actually makes sense! Good job!

Thanks. I seem to have a real talent for overthinking things. :D

• I wonder how old Elaine is, then. She was the governor of Melee Island in MI1, and if Guybrush was only 16... robbing the cradle, anyone?

Add Comment