User Avatar Image

:: [Spoilers] Chapter 4: Trial & Execution ::

posted by yoshiwam on - last edited - Viewed by 773 users

hey everybody!

I've skimmed through some reviews, opinions and first impressions of people on this site concerning the fourth chapter of Tales. Mostly people are very content with the revelations the fourth chapter brought forth, which is an awesome job, TellTale!

With that said, I'd still like to share some issues that bother me, concerning the Trial & Execution of Guybrush Threepwood. To be quite honest and blunt, I was a little disappointed with some fundamental aspects of this chapter.

Inventory
Every piece of inventory seemed like a very random piece of rubbish ^^;; why not come up with everyday items like scissors, cutlery, bubblegum, cork, needles, mallet, chisel, cheese (most of CMI's items, except for the sudden random-spam inside the snake) and use these in a smart, clever and logical puzzle. What's with the leg-shaped lamp, the glass eyeball with superpowers, 6 different warm liquids, envelopped voodoo-summons. They seem like a very cheap way to integrate inventory in puzzle set-ups (less is more, basic items make puzzle more clever). And really, Tales really has an overkill on coupons, maps and the usage of the hook for lockpicking purposes.

Stan
Another issue is Stan. Stan is by far my all time favorite character from the Monkey Island series! I was secretly hoping he'd turn up as a lawyer in court with his awesome retorical arm-spamming and sexy voice and eyebrow movements that'd make you buy anything he'd sell! ("Welcome to the mutual of Staan ~~"). Alas, with his voice actor and goofy and chubby appearance, I experienced his character as very annoying and unlikeable. With the original Stan from MI2 and CMI, I felt bad for him when I locked him in a coffin or gave him a sad face with the death certificate just to solve a puzzle (which is superfunny and comically charming), but now he just didn't do it for me, I couldn't care less what happened to Stan.

Drama
That simply didn't add up.. It seems very inconsistent to my previous Monkey Island experiences. And I did -not- like angry guybrush. I wonder how this all will unfold in the series finale.

DeSinge
It seems like the Monkey Island series is developping a new stereotype. Just like Ozzie from EMI, DeSinge is a dislikeable ausländer that seeks control of a supernatural (superlative) superpower but gets smashed violently like a bug in the process (grinded to pulp like ozzie/shredded to bits like DeSinge). This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I don't know what to make of it actually.

I'm not trying to complain towards TellTale with this post! In fact, they've certainly provided several truely epic and memorable Monkey Island moments throughout the chapters! (voodoo lady tarot, face-off challenge, awesome characters like DeSinge, Morgan, Bugeye and Anemone). Also this chapter had some thrills in store for me :3 The interior of the courtroom and the SCUMM-feel at Club 41 were breathtaking!! I'm also very excited to see what will happen in chapter 5!

I just wanted to share my thoughts on chapter 4 with all you monkey-fans on the forum! I'm really curious to what you're opinions are to the points mentioned above! So please react ^^

Much love to TellTale and fans <3
yoshiwam ~

59 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • *Reads Drama* What? You want Guybrush to act all happy that someone like Morgan died? You don't like realistic characteristics for Guybrush do you?

If Guybrush made a joke out of Morgan's death, I would no longer be a fan of Guybrush. And people would surely say the same thing.

• I can actually relate to the drama part. some may say it was emotional, but i find it too cheesy, especially the end convo between Lechuck and Elaine and her final words with guybrush. Regardless whether it fits the MI world or not, it was just SOOO CHEESY!

• @Miaharpy" said: You want Guybrush to act all happy that someone like Morgan died?

I think the story shouldn't have gone this emotionally complicated to begin with.

• @yoshiwam said: I think the story shouldn't have gone this emotionally complicated to begin with.

x2

▲▲

• But the drama was the wonderful part about this episode. It had really good writing in my opinion. I loved it. It's not like Monkey Island world is only made out of fluffy clouds and funny jokes.

• @gingerale" said: But the drama was the wonderful part about this episode. It had really good writing in my opinion. I loved it. It's not like Monkey Island world is only made out of fluffy clouds and funny jokes.

Monkey Island without the dramatic depth and complication as described above is the Monkey Island I'm familiar with and grew attached to (SMI, MI2, CMI), which is more then fluffy clouds and funny jokes, I bet you know that too :)

• @yoshiwam said: Monkey Island without the dramatic depth and complication as described above is the Monkey Island I'm familiar with and grew attached to (SMI, MI2, CMI), which is more then fluffy clouds and funny jokes, I bet you know that too :)

Not really with Revenge, Yoshiwam.... I did laugh at the jokes, but at the ending.. Telling the truth, I was freaking out. That's what I enjoyed the most.

• @yoshiwam said: Monkey Island without the dramatic depth and complication as described above is the Monkey Island I'm familiar with and grew attached to (SMI, MI2, CMI), which is more then fluffy clouds and funny jokes, I bet you know that too :)

Uh, those games had a ton of emotional depth. Yu're saying it's too overcomplicated and others are saying the emotional parts were too simple and cliche. Geez, I'm starting to hate MI fans. You're such a prissy selfish needy lot! And heck I throw myself right into the lump.

Add Comment